Now that the new Revell Tornado IDS is out...

I have been considering this. It would indeed be nice to have some new Tornado decals, but the Tornado has been available in this scale for years and it might be hard to find anything that has not been done yet, particularly by the British decal companies. Let me know what your suggestions are.

Don't fully agree, Kursad

Not much out there in regards to 617sq, 12sq or 31sq - most is based on 80's markings as I see it.

You can always combine German, Saudi and/or UK in order to spread the interest field :)

I like the Saudi scheme and have some references to pull it off. But I primarily would like to make some RAF schemes. I personally owe British modelers big time : UK represents my biggest market outside the US; and UK modelers' interest in international schemes is what makes a lot of my "off the beaten path" subjects viable. Time to return the favor by doing more RAF sheets; so send me your suggestions and I will see what I can do.

I have some close up photographs of the nose art that was applied to the Op Telic jets if this would be of any use to you, although I think most jets were covered by the Model Alliance sheet

Edited by scotthldr

Don't fully agree, Kursad

Not much out there in regards to 617sq, 12sq or 31sq - most is based on 80's markings as I see it.

You can always combine German, Saudi and/or UK in order to spread the interest field :)/>

Xtradecal and Model Alliance have issued several sheets covering most of the RAF Tornado special schemes over the years. I would like to see 12(B)Sqn done better though as they've been under represented. When they're on ops the aircraft lose their squadron markings (if any as the RAF pooled the Tornado GR.4 fleet a few years ago and markings became limited) and carry only serial number and stencilling.

Stephen

Xtradecal and Model Alliance have issued several sheets covering most of the RAF Tornado special schemes over the years. I would like to see 12(B)Sqn done better though as they've been under represented. When they're on ops the aircraft lose their squadron markings (if any as the RAF pooled the Tornado GR.4 fleet a few years ago and markings became limited) and carry only serial number and stencilling.

Stephen

When the Tornados were used in Op Desert Fox as part of the UK Op Bolton, although flown by aircrew from a different Sqn the aircraft kept the Sqn markings from which they came from. This included aircraft from 12 Sqn in both the green/grey and all grey schemes with the big and small dart on the nose. There were also aircraft from 2,9,14 and 617 Sqns, all with the white triangle with the union jack within and full colour Sqn markings.

German Tornado decals you can get already from Hahen. But for our italian buddies there's not much on the market, especially early AMI Tornados in green/grey camo.

When the Tornados were used in Op Desert Fox as part of the UK Op Bolton, although flown by aircrew from a different Sqn the aircraft kept the Sqn markings from which they came from. This included aircraft from 12 Sqn in both the green/grey and all grey schemes with the big and small dart on the nose. There were also aircraft from 2,9,14 and 617 Sqns, all with the white triangle with the union jack within and full colour Sqn markings.

I didn't know that, they sound like interesting options to build.

Thanks for that

Stephen

German Tornado decals you can get already from Hahen.

Yes, but the choice is limited, prices are high (for what you get) and they are not printed by state of the art printers (like Cartograf). I believe they are ALPS printed, as they are on a continuous sheet of film, so they require some extra care. I also believe that some decals have to be applied in two layers to achieve proper color density.

In my opinion there is quite a good choice of British marking available, but not German ones. Also this new kit is specifically released as a IDS variant, not Gr.1, so naturally I would expect the market demand for quality Luftwaffe marking to be pretty big.

Edited by Vodnik

Plz be patient, high quality decals (research and print) for GAF Tornado should be available soon.

Yes, but the choice is limited, prices are high (for what you get) and they are not printed by state of the art printers (like Cartograf). I believe they are ALPS printed, as they are on a continuous sheet of film, so they require some extra care. I also believe that some decals have to be applied in two layers to achieve proper color density.

In my opinion there is quite a good choice of British marking available, but not German ones. Also this new kit is specifically released as a IDS variant, not Gr.1, so naturally I would expect the market demand for quality Luftwaffe marking to be pretty big.

After hunting through World Air Power journal I found a nice pic of a GR.1A taking off for a desert Fox mission in the green/grey camouflage with one drop tank in very worn desert tan and the other in light grey, payload was two GBU-24s and the aircraft was from 2(AC) Sqn.

Stephen

I am putting together a Tornado action plan, too. Too early to announce anything, I will need to gather references first. But it's safe to say that Saudi Tornados (in both the early scheme and the new gray one) and perhaps some Italian options will be in there.

edit: whatever.

Edited by KursadA