Hi all

Was told about this place by Hotdog on a visit to Collectspace. So thought I'd swing by and check out the show.

Been an avid space adventure nut since I can remember. Watched the first shuttle launch live on TV. Visited KSC in 2008. Missed a launch by that much :(/>/>

Anyway here's my Gemini

13973433317_b0ae7c1eb9_c.jpgGemini Capsule by Peter Ede, on Flickr

14180196663_7e28b83cb7_c.jpgGemini Capsule by Peter Ede, on Flickr

13973568330_672a28e791_c.jpgGemini Capsule by Peter Ede, on Flickr

Nice to have you here Pete!

This is a terrific forum for us space nuts ... I too have been interested in the US Space Program since the very beginning and only started to build these kits, with an eye to accuracy ( as opposed to just playing with them in the tub, when I was much younger, that is :rolleyes: ) about 5 years ago.

I love the Gemini spacecraft and have a couple on the go, 1/24 and 1/48.

On yours ... there seems to be something missing ... oh-h-h-h ... the white part, on the back. :whistle: It's good to see your improved hatches. And if you wanna learn how to make your models just a little better, just ask away.

There's also a Group Build ongoing and you're welcome to join in. there's still about 4 months left till the deadline. Take a peek there and also take a look around the various pages on this Real Space forum ... you'll find some lovely eye-candy.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showforum=284

Pete ...... Canadian-Pete :thumbsup:

Thanks Canadian Pete :)/>/>

This what's missing? Just painted today. Still to colour thrusters. How to add the insulation foil?

I was going to buy detail kits but decided against it and detailed myself. What ever you advise to add realism I'd appreciate it.

14201193391_0cf3d1f36f_c.jpgGemini Space Capsule by Peter Ede, on Flickr

14204421505_6924ab68da_c.jpgGemini Space Capsule by Peter Ede, on Flickr

14017805937_10dc33c243_c.jpgGemini Space Capsule by Peter Ede, on Flickr

Edited by Aussie-Pete

Thanks Canadian Pete :)/>/>/>

This what's missing? Just painted today. Still to colour thrusters. How to add the insulation foil?

I was going to buy detail kits but decided against it and detailed myself. What ever you advise to add realism I'd appreciate it.

Ah-h-h-h ... that's more like it!! I made the assumption that this was an older build not brand new! What did you use to make the hatch interiors?

Here's a build I did as one of my first models, the Gemini 9A, for a Group Build. I did a lot of scratchbuilding and used the Real Space update set for the 1/24 craft. Take a peek. I hope all the links still work ... if not let me know Pete, but it'll give you a good idea as to what can be done to accurize it.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=142181

Pete ... the other one ...

Welcome to ARC, Aussie-Pete! You will find this is the best forum online for Real space modeling. Our band of dedicated space nerds will help you get every last detail correct, and we have some skilled master builders that can give pointers on techniques and help out when things go wrong. I have learned a lot here! And do take a look at K2Pete's Gemini, it has some neat mods you might could work into your build.

Adding the foil to the equipment bay

14263209752_3dbe05223e_c.jpgGemini equipment bay by Peter Ede, on Flickr

14264954484_431edea0ac_c.jpgGemini equipment bay by Peter Ede, on Flickr

Do I need a spar from the thruster to the centre?

Yes I know I forgot to remove Revell from the bottom. May have to build another Gemini soon. Good cheap model to get my detail fix on

Edited by Aussie-Pete

Do I need a spar from the thruster to the centre?

Here's a pic of the aft end ... you may wanna place another spar or two from the thrusters, just for the extra support.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/gemini/gemini9/hires/s66-28108.jpg

The way you're building this is excellent ... sure looks like you've done this before!

Keep it going ... it looks terrific!

Pete

Your build/paintjob looks really sharp!

Thanks mate :)

Trying to do the best I can. First time adding finer detail to a model. Airbrushing makes a world of difference to models and a pair of 10x glasses :)

I may have to buy another Gemini to go further. Pete's Gemini is amazing. We live and learn

Nice ... dramatic photos! :woot.gif:

The aft end looks pretty good! What didja use for the foil?

The experiment "antenna/sensor" looks bang on too!

Whose decals did you use? The big United States looks like it settled nicely into the corrugations ... nice job Pete!

... and before I offer any unappreciated suggestions, how much more, if any, are you planning to do?

And the Photoshop image ... Gemini 67 ... looks dandy! :thumbsup:

Pete

Nice ... dramatic photos! :woot.gif:/>

The aft end looks pretty good! What didja use for the foil?

The experiment "antenna/sensor" looks bang on too!

Whose decals did you use? The big United States looks like it settled nicely into the corrugations ... nice job Pete!

... and before I offer any unappreciated suggestions, how much more, if any, are you planning to do?

And the Photoshop image ... Gemini 67 ... looks dandy! :thumbsup:/>

Pete

Thanks Pete

The foil is just plastic gift wrapping :) Antenna is brass tubing.

The decals are stock kit. I used microsol/microset to make sure they blended well. Then a few coats of clear satin.

What other detail would you suggest? Not sure I want to go digging now. I'm pretty happy with my first real attempt at detailing. Although a camera or 2 maybe? That should be easy enough.

Looking good!

A few ideas for further detailing: you could add the stringers that go up and down the service module, add black inside the holes, and maybe do a blackwash to bring out the rivet detail a bit. My apologies if you already have these on your to-do list.

The foil is just plastic gift wrapping :)/> Antenna is brass tubing.

The decals are stock kit.

What other detail would you suggest? Not sure I want to go digging now. I'm pretty happy with my first real attempt at detailing. Although a camera or 2 maybe? That should be easy enough.

The kit decals are pretty good! I thought I saw the tiny Red 'shingle' decals on the nose ... and I didn't think they were part of the kit!

The thrusters should have the dark colour in the 'holes'. I also like to drill out the holes just for extra visual depth, but at this stage, just paint will enhance the overall look of the Adapter section. I wouldn't put on a wash, just let the available light create the surface details of the kit's rivets. In flight these vehicles were pristine, no weathering required.

Other surface details on the Adapter section aren't necessary ... seeing as you've got it painted already. To me, either put on all of the surface details, or none at all ... This spacecraft of yours looks just like it's supposed to! :thumbsup:

And your camera ... is just fine! :woot.gif:

But you hafta remember Pete, this is YOUR model ... it's done when YOU say it's done!

Pete ... the other one ... :whistle:

Looking good!

A few ideas for further detailing: you could add the stringers that go up and down the service module, add black inside the holes, and maybe do a blackwash to bring out the rivet detail a bit. My apologies if you already have these on your to-do list.

I will likely paint the thruster ports.

The kit decals are pretty good! I thought I saw the tiny Red 'shingle' decals on the nose ... and I didn't think they were part of the kit!

The thrusters should have the dark colour in the 'holes'. I also like to drill out the holes just for extra visual depth, but at this stage, just paint will enhance the overall look of the Adapter section. I wouldn't put on a wash, just let the available light create the surface details of the kit's rivets. In flight these vehicles were pristine, no weathering required.

Other surface details on the Adapter section aren't necessary ... seeing as you've got it painted already. To me, either put on all of the surface details, or none at all ... This spacecraft of yours looks just like it's supposed to! :thumbsup:/>

And your camera ... is just fine! :woot.gif:/>

But you hafta remember Pete, this is YOUR model ... it's done when YOU say it's done!

Pete ... the other one ... :whistle:/>

I thought about drilling them out? Lines on the body look like paint and nothing more? Never done a wash. I like the New look :)

Thanks guys.

Lines on the body look like paint and nothing more?

You're correct, the black lines on the Adapter section are tape ... an attempt at Thermal Control. When I said " ... but at this stage, just paint will enhance the overall look of the Adapter section."... I was just referring to the dark paint inside the thrusters ... that little bit will make the model 'pop'!

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL/GPN-2006-000035.jpg

Pete