This is how an F-16 should look

whatta ya expect, it's from Grecce :P/>/>

Heh :rofl:/> Yup, it's nice & Greecy ...oops, I mean, Greasy :lol:/>

At least the canopy is clean on this one:

Jari

Wow, I've never seen a USAF Viper look so dirty. Great subject for modeling. It reminds me of those USMC Phantoms based in Da nang, Vietnam. The sand & sea water made those birds very weathered.

Mingwin, yup. I'm thinking the new 1/72 Tamiya Vipers are an excellent choice. The great panel line/rivet details on that kit would be an ideal canvas for weathering.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=272379&st=140

Which raises an interesting question. Why are Greek aircraft so dirty? I've heard theories about the harsh Med sun, but I'm assuming that the same sun shines in Italy & Spain, yet their aircraft are relatively clean. Is it just that they repaint them less (funds related)? Maybe the airfields are dustier/dirtier? I remember when I visited Souda Bay and Araxos the places were pretty barren compared to say Ramstein. Any old HAF boys out there that can confirm?

Which raises an interesting question. Why are Greek aircraft so dirty? I've heard theories about the harsh Med sun, but I'm assuming that the same sun shines in Italy & Spain, yet their aircraft are relatively clean. Is it just that they repaint them less (funds related)? Maybe the airfields are dustier/dirtier? I remember when I visited Souda Bay and Araxos the places were pretty barren compared to say Ramstein. Any old HAF boys out there that can confirm?

I've read a combination of being in the sea air a lot, air pollution, and being out in the sun.

I think I agree with these statements. If you look at the 160th SOAR MH-60's and MH-47's based at Joint Base Lewis McChord near Tacoma, Washington, you'll see that they are very heavily weathered compared to the ones based in Kentucky. I think that the close proximity to the Puget Sound is the cause of this. This mixed with the intense sun of the Med would help explain why the Greek birds are so heavily weathered.

Aaron

Heh :rofl:/>/> Yup, it's nice & Greecy ...oops, I mean, Greasy :lol:/>/>

Wow, I've never seen a USAF Viper look so dirty.

Check out some pics of USAF Vipers stationed in Iraq. Many of them were much dirtier than the Greek example. As I understand it, it was due equally to being worked hard and being exposed to continuous dust storms which stuck to every bit of grease / oil / hydraulic fluid on the aircraft exterior. Some looked like they were in a three tone brown, grey & grey scheme.

I've read a combination of being in the sea air a lot, air pollution, and being out in the sun.

Pretty much sums it up. Greek a/c spend a lot of time low level over the Aegean/Med/Ionian and Crete seas, this combined with the harsh Greek sun which is a lot harsher than in Italy and Spain, fades the a/c quicker than normal. Also different colours fade quicker than others and with differing effects ie: some Greens fade faster than others and the same applies to Greys. With Greek F-16/F-4/RF-4 and A-7 being 3 tone the colours fade at different rates giving them a very patchy and distressed appearance. If you look at the Hellenic M2K's they tend to be cleaner as they spend less time LL.

The Blk52's have the "Have Glass" paint finish which picks up grime very easily and they take on a overall dirty Grey look, were as the Blk50's take on a very patchy look same as the F-4's and A-7's. However the newest Blk52 Adv appear to maintain some level of cleanliness.

Distressed, but not in a neat quilted pattern like you see on SO many models... You don't see a neat dark line down every row of rivets and panel edge.

Air pollution is one the the biggest reasons. All of the factors mentioned are a factor but the biggest is pollution.

When we had Hornets stationed in Germany they were filthy from daily flying in the Rhein valley crud. We always repainted them on return to Canada.

Depends on how you define air pollution. Industrial air pollution outwith the urban centers of Greece isn't a problem, however naturally forming air pollution is.

"High concentrations of tropospheric ozone and its precursors (e.g. NOx and NMVOC) have shown to adversely affect the human health and vegetation. In the past, deposition of acidifying substances had damaged ecosystems, historical buildings and materials (corrosion). Excessive input of nutrients from atmospheric deposition leads to eutrophication in freshwaters. Acidifying pollutants also contribute to the formation of particulate matter, which cause human respiratory diseases."

The above was taken from an European Envoiroment Agency publication.

Which results in

"certain paints may be weakened or damaged by exposure to ozone"

Are the fuel tanks leaking or is that some fuel that dripped out of the boom after disconnect ? I had not seen a pic like that since the days of the SR-71.

And... F-16 flying targets.... ??!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........!!! They can't do that ! :jaw-dropping: It`s too beautiful an aircraft to do that ! Gimme one if you no longer want it (!). (I always felt it was such a pity they transformed the magnificient F-106s into flying targets.... :crying2:

Edited by Stratospheremodels