Hello,

I'm currently building the easy assembly Hobby Boss 1/48 UH-1C, straight from the box.

One of the schemes offered is for a Marines HML 776 helo. Beside some inaccuracy - it should be an "E" - as it is displayed on the decals, the inst sheet says it as to be painted Olive Drab, but I've been reading that Marines helicopters were painted field green.

First question, were all Marines choppers paintend that green ?

I've found a picture of this very same machine on airliners.net and the shade of the green seems to differ from olive drab. link to pic on Airliners.

So my second question is which hue do I paint my Huey ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Best

Stef (#6)

Try Model Master Acryl MARINE CORPS GREEN, FS34052. It's the closest thing I have ever found to that oddball color they paint their stuff. You can always shift the color by adding a little black, gray or yellow to get "worn" variations.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

Thanks a lot, Mister Snake :)/>.

The more I'm reading the squadron book about Huey, the more differences I see between a UH-1C and a Marine D, so I will reverse to the C scheme : 174th AHC, Sharks.

That's an Army machine and the Olive Drab is a shade I'm already accointed with.

I suppose it would be a gunship, but the kit doesn't provide any armamaent, so it will really be an out of the box build.

thanks for your help,

Best

Stef (#6)

That's the cockpit 2 days ago, the fuselage is now closed.

uh1c_06.jpg

Try Model Master Acryl MARINE CORPS GREEN, FS34052. It's the closest thing I have ever found to that oddball color they paint their stuff. You can always shift the color by adding a little black, gray or yellow to get "worn" variations.

Chris M

I have recently used the Enamel version from this brand for my CH-37C and I suppose the shade is the same.

Patrick

Hello Rotorman,

Ouch, if so, that would hurt, I've been closing the fuselage and place the canopy this morning ... And armor's all greeey.

Now that you mention it, I've seen photos in the Squadron book, but of the inner part of the armor plate ... it was grey, all right.

I will place all the pics in the inprogress section, anyway.

Thanks for your inputs,

Best

Stef (#6)

Yes, Vietnam-era seat armor was OD green, both inside and outside.

PICT1899.jpg

UH-1M%25252065-09446%252520cockpit%252520%25252837%252529.JPG

On later versions (late '70s - early '80s) the seat armor was chaged to all black to match the all black NVG-compatible cockpits.

bell-huey-instruments.jpg

Hmm, nice pics,

Well, as I said, the fuselage is now closed, so it will be my mistake :(.

I've been posting the build in the "in-progress" section.

Thanks all for the inputs and nice piccies.

Stef (#6)

Hmm, nice pics,

Well, as I said, the fuselage is now closed, so it will be my mistake sad.gif.

I've been posting the build in the "in-progress" section.

Thanks all for the inputs and nice piccies.

Stef (#6)

Stef,

No worries, they weren't ALL OD. There were a few that were gray but they are hard to find. So hard, in fact, I can't seem to put my hands on one right now! The all black seats date from about 1982 forward.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash