Super Frelon Heller 1/35 scale

The severe plastic warp is fixed. It took a lot of pulling, pushing and the help of fast acting super glue. It now fits like a glove. The inside windows dont align with the outside frame...easy fix.

Oliver

20140629_090239_zps2e1b6a73.jpg

Thanks for the in progress photos, much appreciated.

I have this kit in my stash and I was very afraid of starting it as was so big but your pictures make it look a little easier.

My plan is for an IAF scheme since I love camo. We will see how that goes.

Great another super frelon in the making.

IAF super frelons have different landing gears if i recall right!!

The seat brackets are a little tricky to assemble btw.

Please post photos.

Oliver

Great another super frelon in the making.

IAF super frelons have different landing gears if i recall right!!

The seat brackets are a little tricky to assemble btw.

Please post photos.

Oliver

From the pictures I have, it looked like the IAF simply removed the covering from the landing gear struts so the gear itself is exposed. At least that is what I can gather from the photos. Maybe I should have a closer look.

From the pictures I have, it looked like the IAF simply removed the covering from the landing gear struts so the gear itself is exposed. At least that is what I can gather from the photos. Maybe I should have a closer look.

The two large oval shaped flotation devices on each side of the fuselage are not present on AIF Super Frelons....at least on the photos I have.

Oliver

The two large oval shaped flotation devices on each side of the fuselage are not present on AIF Super Frelons....at least on the photos I have.

Oliver

Hi Oliver

Must be the same photos. I also have a walk around posted by someone from Israel of one in the museum. It is overall one colour and the flotation sponsons are missing as you said. That is what I meant in my post. However, I think I will build it with them installed as to try and scratch all that stuff will be a pain and if I have any hope of finishing it, I think I should leave well enough alone. Also, I figure that they received them like that and after using them they removed the flotation gear. I like that story :)

Edited by skyhawk174

Chris, check pictures if you do an Israeli machine as they changed engines to American made turbines at some point (don't have refs at hand) so that only early machines before the change can be done OOB. Later there was just one big exhaust at each engine, not the two as in the kit. Doesn't look like a hard conversion but worth noting. I know the Isradecal 1/72 sheet discusses this but not sure about decals for the big kit.

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. there are some early shots with the floats so you should look at early IAF usage.

Edited by RCAFFAN

Thanks for those shots. To be honest I am not even sure if they ever did paint them in their early 3 tone scheme. I have a book printed in Israel on the IAF so I think I will start there. Big book and it even starts in the back like a Japanese publication. Then I will do the Google thing.

Edited by skyhawk174

yes, there are some black and white pictures that show the Super-frelon with 3 tones camo, and original turbine outlets like on the kit.

the orignal camo in 1966 was 2 tones light brown and dark green over light blue

around 1972, a 3 tone camos was applied sand green & brown

then there was sometime this turbine change, with single turbine exhaust. In this configuration, there was the 3 tones camo and the averall sand camo

some of the helicopters had the flottation, others not

from what I know, some of the major war achievements of israelis Super-Frelon were commando actions agains Egyptians bases, and an important sea salvage after some israelis ships were sunk in a sea battle, I think it was also against Egypt.

For me, the main change to do on the kit for an Israeli Super-Frelon is to install the sand filters on the roof, the kit having anyway a lot of work to do, but for a real great achievement.

It's a lng time I'm looking for detail pictures on these filters, but could not find good pictures.

If anyone has contacts at the Hazerim museum ?...

Norbert

For me, the main change to do on the kit for an Israeli Super-Frelon is to install the sand filters on the roof, the kit having anyway a lot of work to do, but for a real great achievement.

It's a lng time I'm looking for detail pictures on these filters, but could not find good pictures.

If anyone has contacts at the Hazerim museum ?...

Norbert

Hi Norbert

Yeah I did see those sand filters and thought that that would be a really big project. Not sure if I am willing or make that able to fabricate those. Hey maybe I can say mine is the delivery scheme so no filters?

Edited by skyhawk174

Hi Norbert

Yeah I did see those sand filters and thought that that would be a really big project. Not sure if I am willing or make that able to fabricate those. Hey maybe I can say mine is the delivery scheme so no filters?

Hi Chris

I'm sorry, have a picture of the first one arriving in Israel, and it has the filters.

Same kind of filters on Irakies and lybians

from what I can see, filter covers are a kind of half cylinder that connects to the intakes, should not be so hard to do, but I have no idea how it works between the 2 sides, and on the back turbine.

Norbert

Thanks anthony..

Trying to decide what to use for the inside. I made 2 different variations of the padding:one with soft aluminium foil and one with thin styrene...cant decide on the one to use...aaargh!!!

Oliver

Ok so i went with thin styrene.

This took about 4 hours to do...measure,trim and cut again to make it right. I will be adding small details as well inside...i know we will never see it.

I will start on other sife next then finish with roof.

Oliver

20140713_120046_zps86d73f9f.jpg

Edited by Rotorman