Scooby is right on. Good explanation from a few guys here. Mark Williams was an FE with me at Dyess AFB. I hope he chimes in soon.

There are a lot of little detail things different about a -7 and -15. -15 engines had their first two stages of the four stage turbines cooled so they can run hotter which equals more power. The quickest way to tell the difference between a -7 and -15 was the thermalcouple harness. I could list it all but it would not change the look of your engine one bit. There is even a small detail different between the inboards and outboards (ice probes in the inboards, right CC's) but again, it doesn't change your model. The E, Super E and H's have many differences. It is almost impossible to tell the difference between a Super E and an E. First thing is a Super E is really a H model. An H-1 has an APU while a Super E (H) has a GTC. This looks a lot different on the landing gear pods. Also the H-1 has 70lb air packs so the scoops look different on the right side of the fuselage. The E, Super E had the older NACA scoops while the H-1, H-2, H-3 all had the bigger scoops that come out the side of the fuselage. The differences of a 1-2-2.5, 3 are even more numerous. Antennas, flight deck, and interior differences. What a great topic. I miss the Herc. I could go on and on and on and on and on and, etc.