A valuable lesson learned....

I'll start off by saying that I had ranted about a deal gone bad and how angry I was at how people would take advantage of others.

Well, on this Memorial Day weekend, I got a lesson in humility and perspective

The person in question had worked out a deal with me on a kit trade. I sent the kit and he sent his. Well, after 3 weeks, I still had no kit and a list of reasons for the kit not arriving. I let my emotions get the better of me and after numerous texts and emails going unanswered, I sent a text challenging his honor and manhood. Well, I got a very quick, angry response from a family member who informed me the trader had suffered a stroke caused by an orange sized tumor in his brain. He is recovering and hopes to make a full recovery, but it will not be easy.

YES - I feel like the total fool

YES - I regret the road I drove this deal over

YES - life is too short and precious to squabble over models and a paltry sum of money

I cannot take back what transpired and what I said to the gentleman, but I can confess here to the people I chose to vent and promise everyone here and to myself that I will not let another "deal gone bad" reduce me to a lesser person I want to be. I have spoken with various family members and expressed my deepest sympathy and regret for my actions. They have every right to be bitter towards me during their time of anguish.

With all this being said, I will try to keep things in perspective and try not to take this hobby so seriously when there are more important issues to deal with.

Tim "Riceballtrp" Powell

Sir,

It's magnanimous of you to accept your faults and weakness.. :salute:

I hope the gentleman in question recovers very soon and MY prayers and thoughts for his recovery..... :pray: :pray:

I am sure your sincerity and apologies will go a long way with the family although it may seem it might not seem that way right now to you.

As someone who has worked in emergency medicine for 25 years, I'll play the devil's advocate.

Did you confirm, somehow, his hospital stay? If the story is true, he should definitely still be in. Probably ICU.

One does not usual have a stroke being caused by a tumor.

A tumor, especially one that large, would cause severe medical issues by itself.

One having a tumor, especially one that large, will not make a full recovery or even a half recovery. EVER.

Now add to that, a stroke blink.gif ???

Did he and his family knew he had a tumor or did they find out after he had the stroke?

According to you, he has given you the run-around via a list of excuses. Is that correct?

If I may volunteer my opinion: I think he's blowing smoke up your inferior orifice. AGAIN.

Here's why:

1) There's already a long history of him blowing smoke.

2) The '...stroke caused by an orange-sized brain tumor' smells to high-Heaven. From a medical POV, it just doesn't add up. Not one bit.

3) From a medical POV; The "...hopes to make a full recovery, but it will not be easy" smells just as bad and it doesn't add up as well. Not one bit.

4) I highly doubt "...a family member" informed you. Unless, of course, you independently confirmed this somehow.

#3 is what pushed me over the edge to doubt their story.

The doctors would have told the family by now about what the long-term prognosis is for the patient suffering from an orange-sized tumor AND a stroke.

Said 'family member' that contacted you would have said nothing even close to what you quoted them saying. Not. Even. Close.

Do you plan on staying in contact with them or have you written off the model?

Edited by Check Six

Hate to be this cynical, particularly being that I don't know all the details, but I have to agree with Check Six on this. I'm just curious how this person was even able to partake in this transaction having a brain tumor the size of an orange?

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that explanation by the family member just doesn't add up to me, especially since I was a friend of someone with brain cancer for sometime before she passed.

Rob

Edited by galileo1

My guess, the so called family member was himself trying to weasel out of the deal.

+1 on that statement.

(and +1000 on what Check six wrote)

personally, if i had a stroke+ orange size tumor, one of the last thing my girlfriend would think of, is to look at my emails and respond it in my place... (same for any of my family members)

There is only one thing that is true in the return email about a full recovery. here's the way I know but first(no get wells hope you feel better ect.... ) on dec. 23 2011 a soft ball size tumor was found on the right side of my brain. ON FEB 1 2012 spent 12 hours under the knife and 6 weeks of cemo. and radiation. And I have recovered the only thing I can not do anymore is drive due to seizures. But I can build models cut grass walk ect... I asked my wife about emailing about a trade and she said the last thing she thought of was emails. What was the cool thing about is I have a titanium plate on the right side of my head. I hope its part of a f-117

Edited by dean spirkoff

As someone who has worked in emergency medicine for 25 years, I'll play the devil's advocate.

Did you confirm, somehow, his hospital stay? If the story is true, he should definitely still be in. Probably ICU.

One does not usual have a stroke being caused by a tumor.

A tumor, especially one that large, would cause severe medical issues by itself.

One having a tumor, especially one that large, will not make a full recovery or even a half recovery. EVER.

Now add to that, a stroke blink.gif ???

Did he and his family knew he had a tumor or did they find out after he had the stroke?

According to you, he has given you the run-around via a list of excuses. Is that correct?

If I may volunteer my opinion: I think he's blowing smoke up your inferior orifice. AGAIN.

Here's why:

1) There's already a long history of him blowing smoke.

2) The '...stroke caused by an orange-sized brain tumor' smells to high-Heaven. From a medical POV, it just doesn't add up. Not one bit.

3) From a medical POV; The "...hopes to make a full recovery, but it will not be easy" smells just as bad and it doesn't add up as well. Not one bit.

4) I highly doubt "...a family member" informed you. Unless, of course, you independently confirmed this somehow.

#3 is what pushed me over the edge to doubt their story.

The doctors would have told the family by now about what the long-term prognosis is for the patient suffering from an orange-sized tumor AND a stroke.

Said 'family member' that contacted you would have said nothing even close to what you quoted them saying. Not. Even. Close.

Do you plan on staying in contact with them or have you written off the model?

I guess the way I see it, if he goes through that much trouble over an $80 model, so be it. I won't have to trade with him any more and I have the satisfaction of knowing I have a clean conscience. I did receive an $80 paypal transfer from his family after a few days..

I'm glad it ended well for you, and you gained info that will help you in future dealings with this trader; should you have any. Without hard evidence it's difficult to know what is really true; though some of the details concerning him do sound a bit doubtful.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Something sounds fishy to me. If he was ill, I can see your emails all going unanswered, but you said he made several excuses leading up to this stroke. Were the excuses medical in nature?

Sounds kind of peculiar. So if it is true we all who are in doubt here have made a big mistake. If it aint true it is just a shame someone resorted to all the lies.

no matter how you feel maybe you should file a Paypal claim if you paid through them...

Max Bryant

Tim,

Unfortunate to learn of your trials and tribulations with this trader but glad to see that you have been reimbursed the money you sent in order to uphold your end of the bargain.

Mike