Hello Everyone,

I will be building the X-29 for this group build. I am using the 1:72 scale Hasegawa kit for this build. Since the kit is from the 80s, it's a bit basic and I will use a Eduard fotoetch set, originally designed for the F-5 for detailing and hope to get away with it. Here is a boxshot with the content:

IMG_0086_zps77d04b1e.jpg

I am using mainly pictures from the internet as a reference as well as the Jay Miller The X-Planes book. Unfortunately Hasegawa only included the decals for the first plane so I will probably stick to it. Well I still not decided yet if I made my own for the NASA worm logo and the USAF registration for the second plane.

I've started with the interior and sprayed everything black for shading effect. I also used Mr.Surfacer for the seams on the intake. I also glued some lead weight in the nose of the model, just to avoid tailsitting.

IMG_0378_zps936dfa58.jpg

IMG_0094_zpse6b59212.jpg

The ejection seat and the cockpit interior greatly benefits from the fotoetch. Even if it isn't 100% accurate. But in this scale I think it's ok.

IMG_0382_zps0880c07e.jpg

I've sprayed the interior grey and later drybrushed the cockpit instruments. This looks probably better than the kit decals that are wrong anyway.

IMG_0097_zpsc3783849.jpg

And after joining the fuselage halfes together I did some wotk on the seam lines. I again applied Mr. Surfacer to all the seam lines and sanded it down. I have to repeat that step probably several times until the seams are gone. I hope this doesn't take too long since I don't like this step very much.

In the mean time I can work on the ejection seat and start to scratchbuild the wheel wells. In the real plane they are quite busy but the model isn't very detailed in this section.

Thanks for looking...

Cheers Ralf

Great start on the X-29! :thumbsup:/> The X-29 is one of my favorite "X" aircraft. I have several of these kits in my stash, but the decals look pretty poor (yellow) which has prevented me from building one of these so far.

The X-29 is the only X aircraft that I actually saw fly (on its last flight, BTW), so this is a build that I will follow. Great idea to use the Eduard set for the F-5!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>

This is an awesome build already! Great idea using the F-5 photo etch. It's gonna turn out great no matter which way you go with it! If you need help with the decals, let me know.