Dragon 1/72 Gemini Spacecraft

Hi everyone,

There are some really great builds posted already. Nice work by everyone. :thumbsup:

Here's my entry for the group build, the Dragon 1/72 Gemini Spacecraft w/Spacewalker. It looks like a really nice kit. I am working on the interior. I have the instrument panel done and the seats. I added a hose made out of guitar wire to the commanders seat. The right seat will have a longer hose for the spacewalker. I am painting the outside of the capsule Vallejo Black Grey and adding a gunmetal pigment to it. Anyhow, it's started and will post more pictures as it progresses.

Tom

photo1_zps5935e261.jpg

photo_zps69c2eb4c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress. The interior is done as is the capsule and service module. I used some gold foil for the heat shield on the service module. I need to put them all together and then gloss it in preparation for decals. It has been a fun build. Things fit together well. I am drilling out the window openings and will use Microscale Krystal Klear. I have one done as an example.

Tom

IMG_0467_zps45dec5c7.jpg

IMG_0470_zps3aa4abb3.jpg

IMG_0471_zps226454b6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, nearing the end. The capsule is done and glued to the service module. I decalled the capsule and then flatted it with Humbrol Matt Cote. I then put some Mig gunmetal pigment on the capsule to make it look metallic. I opened up the window ports and put Humbrol ClearFix on to simulate the window. The astronauts are painted and the commander is installed. The spacewalker is done too, I just need to install the oxygen hose and connect him to it. Hopefully in the next few days it will be done. I recommend the kit, it was a nice build. I was a young kid in the 60's and it was fun for me to build something that I remember seeing. I have a Mercury Redstone and Apollo/LEM to build at some point too.

Tom

photo2-2_zpse2b039b3.jpg

photo5_zpse643d6b9.jpg

photo1-2_zpse1b1f45b.jpg

photo3-1_zpsbe0d4ae9.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1620e603.jpg

Edited by Tom G

Well, here she is, all done. I finished it up by adding the oxygen hose which is guitar wire covered with gold bare metal foil. The EVA astronaut is attached to it and I added some tubes for the thruster in his right hand made out of regular wire. The hatch was attached and then the service module shield which I again covered with bare metal foil. It was a really fun build, something different from the aircraft I usually build. I hope you like it.

Tom

image-3_zps44cfc97d.jpg

image-2_zps31196e31.jpg

image-6_zpsa257f45e.jpg

image-4_zpsad208ef8.jpg

image-5_zps608762ec.jpg

image_zps05e6889b.jpg

Edited by Tom G

Tom,

Very nice work on this model. It is very impressive, the gold foil on the oxygen hose really adds to the model.

Thanks, Marvin20. Getting the foil to stick to the guitar string was tricky and took some patience but it turned out pretty good I think.

Tom

Tom,

Great work on such a small little kit! I know how painstaking it can be to detail at such small scales. I have a 1:48 Gemini in my stash I hope to get around to one day. Thanks for sharing yours with us!

Very, very well done!

As I'm always looking to find out how builders did things, I hafta ask ... the way you painted the end of the nose of the Capsule, the Radar and cabling area ... was there a trick or just a steady hand and a small paintbrush? Same goes for the red strip at the base of the Capsule where it meets the White adapter section. Such a nice a clean strip! Just a paintbrush or was it all masked and sprayed?

Thanx for participating TomG!

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks, glad you like it. I just hand painted it. But I use the magnifying visor with the 3.5x lens in it so I can really see what I am doing. It is amazing how helpful a magnifier is so you see and control what you are doing. Things look so big and you think it looks bad till you take the visor off and look at it real size and then realize it is acceptable. I just use a small brush and take it slow, just a bit of paint on the tip. If I have too much paint I wipe the brush on a paper towel. The bottom red strip at the base of the capsule is actually a separate piece (the heat shield) so I painted that before I glued it on so that is why that looks so crisp and straight.

Now if I take it to a show and I see the judges with magnifying visors on I am in trouble. LOL

Tom

Edited by Tom G
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great!!! Man I feel envious of you guys. Sometimes it's painful to see all of your builds actually getting completed, haha.

Thanks, crackerjazz, glad you like it. It was a fun build. I grew up in the 60's so I have a lot of good memories of Gemini and Apollo.

I would like to see some of your work.

Tom