Going to start my second GB model. I got the Dragon 1/72 scale Saturn V for my birthday and I know I'd never be able to complete the whole thing for this GB. Soooo, I'm going to do just the third stage for this build. I am undecided about whether or not I will do the lunar module mounted with a clear section to allow it to be seen, or just build it separately on the side. We shall see.

Here is what I'm working with.

DSC_0668_zps8c7f046e.jpg

DSC_0669_zps141a65c3.jpg

DSC_0670_zpsf136dd69.jpg

I will be detailing the engine area a bit but other than that mostly out of box.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Sounds like fun! Maybe have one clear panel, and paint the rest white? That way you can show it both ways.

I haven't gotten my hands on one of these kits yet, so would you say this section of the Dragon kit is pretty accurate and not in need of much mods or scratch-work?

I wish I could say it is accurate, but unfortunately the more I learn about the Saturn V the more I see just how inaccurate it is. It is tubular and pointy on the top end, does that count? :woot.gif:/>/>

I am just learning about the details so I can't give you all the specifics yet, but the obvious ones to me are the stringer sections are very basic with no vents or panel details. Also the thrust structure is just a simple spherical shape without the flat cone section at the rear. I am going to try to address that issue. Also I understand the number of stringers is incorrect as well but I'm not 100% on that. I think it's a good basis for an impressive model and depending on your personal feelings towards total accuracy shouldn't be too hard to make it pretty nice.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Cool. Any particular mission in mind?

I was thinking of basing it mostly on Apollo 12 (big fan of Bean) but not overly concerned with keeping it totally accurate to a specific mission.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome, Thanks hotdog. Every little bit helps.

Here is a little progress on it. I got the CSM main body assembled and painted. Still have all the details to go. One thing I've noticed is there is a slight "step" in alignment between the CSM and the adaptor section. Not sure if I want to worry about that or not. I suppose I could put a thin ring around the base of the service module to help blend it a little. Any suggestions?

DSC_0032_zps16f4f1b1.jpg

DSC_0061_zpsae38de70.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill

Could you wrap the entire SM with a thin layer of styrene, and scribe in the panel details? Or would that throw off the boost protective cover of the CM too much? Since the boost protective cover seems to jut out a bit anyway, going this route might be less noticeable. And if you had to, you could add the thin ring around the bottom of the boost protective cover instead. If I had to add a ring to either place, seems like I could hide it better there by blending it into the coned shape area.

Edited by niart17
sorry, didn't realize I was in edit mode...oops

Could you wrap the entire SM with a thin layer of styrene, and scribe in the panel details? Or would that throw off the boost protective cover of the CM too much? Since the boost protective cover seems to jut out a bit anyway, going this route might be less noticeable. And if you had to, you could add the thin ring around the bottom of the boost protective cover instead. If I had to add a ring to either place, seems like I could hide it better there by blending it into the coned shape area.

I could do that but I think that would be a lot more work than I want to do. Besides, for the most part the panels are all pretty correct and doing the "radiator" panels would be a pain. I think I may just get some thin 1/4 round plastic strips and use the flat edge as a blending transition. I think it would be convincing enough without much effort. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any and all ideas can be useful.

At this point just doing research and figuring out how much detail I want to add and where everything goes. Hope to have more progress tonight perhaps.

Bill

The easiest way, I think, is to just file/sand the SLA panels down. Probably just 2 of the panels at that. And you'd only hafta do the top 1/4 of the panels.

You just wanna blend it in. You just wanna create the illusion that they're flush to the SM.

Or, build up the top of the SLA panels with styrene strip and a little putty, while allowing the SM to fit ... which is a little more time consuming, but still easy.

Are there some nice details on the SLA panels you don't want to damage?

And Bill you say the CSM is assembled and painted ... but the radiator panels should be white-ish and some RCS thrusters are ... uh ... not there.

... Just sayin' ... :whistle:

Pete

And Bill you say the CSM is assembled and painted ... but the radiator panels should be white-ish and some RCS thrusters are ... uh ... not there.

... Just sayin' ... :whistle:/>

Pete

No no no...what I said was "I got the CSM main body assembled and painted. Still have all the details to go". So "details" would encompass the radiator panel painting and the RCS thruster nozzles, which I hope to find a darker metallic paint for etc... I only mounted the RCS base parts that already have two nozzles attached so I could make sure the seams were good and not have to mess around with gluing them on after the metalizer paint was laid down. So there! :monkeydance::woot.gif:

There are some details on the SLA panels....nice or not I guess is subjective. I know I am going to have to add the hinge bulges (ok class stop snickering) and other features so more than likely they'll have to be touched up quite a bit any way. I'm not against possibly rebuilding them totally since ideally I'd rather have an opened panel as opposed to a clear one. I just have never been a big fan of clear parts to show details. I'd rather open stuff up. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Bill