GWH F-15C Announced

Ken - just a short "Thanks" for all the outstanding photos over the years!

Things may have changed, but the landing light being on was a signal to the Mobile Control officer (the guy in the little box at the end of the runway)that the gear was indeed down. "Back then", if you forgot the landing light, you were given a radio call (usually, "Landing light.")to remind you to turn it on (to confirm the gear).

Gene K

Nowadays the ATC controller (tower dude) will ask "Confirm gear down?" and the proper response would be something like "Roger, three greens" as per 3 green lights indicating all gear down and locked.

Sometimes they ask us and we say "Down and welded" and all of us giggle...

Looks like a pretty nice kit.

Did the F-15C airbrake panel have all that frame structure on the inside?

Already answered; post #60 in this thread.

Marc B.

Edited by Modelmkr

So being that it's a given I'm not going to go back and sift through seven pages of postings....

Is the GWH kit significantly better than the Hasegawa kit (assuming one builds the speed brake closed).

I'll only ever do one 1/48 F-15, and it'll be converted back to an FY74 F-15A when I do. So which kit would be better to start with?

So being that it's a given I'm not going to go back and sift through seven pages of postings....

Is the GWH kit significantly better than the Hasegawa kit (assuming one builds the speed brake closed).

I'll only ever do one 1/48 F-15, and it'll be converted back to an FY74 F-15A when I do. So which kit would be better to start with?

Very easy and short answer: go Hasegawa.

Just got my Pit Road boxing of the GWH F-15DJ.

In short they nailed it.

New radome with conductor rods beautiful AAM-3's and all the updated parts.

Will be buying many more you can never have to many JASDF aggresors!

To add another couple of things. The cockpits are correct to JASDF std.

Multi fuel tank option is available with three bags supplied frequently used by JASDF.

ALQ-131 thanks.

The only things i will be adding woukd be hopefully some nice single piece resin wheels and a seat.

Looks very thoroughly researched with the JASDF vsriant covered really well.

First you would need to find a kit that reflects the characteristics of an A model, unless you want to work with the archaic Monogram or Tamiya kits?

If minor airframe changes don't matter then Hasegawa or the GWH kit will do....

Already answered; post #60 in this thread.

Marc B.

This speedbrake was not added to production till the 2000 E models... C/D models would have got the new speedbrake a through attrition as the older speedbrakes cracked or became unserviceable.

Cheers

Dave Whalen

Just got my Pit Road boxing of the GWH F-15DJ.

In short they nailed it.

New radome with conductor rods beautiful AAM-3's and all the updated parts.

Will be buying many more you can never have to many JASDF aggresors!

Conductor rods?

First you would need to find a kit that reflects the characteristics of an A model, unless you want to work with the archaic Monogram or Tamiya kits?

If minor airframe changes don't matter then Hasegawa or the GWH kit will do....

The very minor "conversion" from a C to an A is no big deal. I think I'll stick with Hasegawa.

Conductor rods?

The JASDF Eagles have lightning/static conductor rods/strips(rods as they are round) on the radomes of there fleet.

You can see them in this image.

10.jpg

Edited by dehowie

The JASDF Eagles have lightning/static conductor rods/strips(rods as they are round) on the radomes of there fleet.

You can see them in this image.

10.jpg

We never call them "rods" they were static disapators , thanx for the verification.

After a long sortie on a dry day you could get a major jolt touching the jet before you and the aircraft were grounded and bonded.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Most of the Japanese books refer to them as "lightning conductors".

I am not sure if the Japanese modded the radomes to composite which needs a conductive strip to assist the passage of hi voltages of lightning or not.

Our A-320's have composite radomes and have conductor strips for the radomes as opposed to static dischargers on elevator and other trailing edges.

Composites for those unfamiliar do not like lightning at all and can react very violently in some cases destructlively to being hit if not provided with a low resistant passage.

Be interested to hear if someone knows if the Japanese have replaced there radomes or maybe they just did it from some bad experiences.

Hi Dave

Most of the Japanese books refer to them as "lightning conductors".

I am not sure if the Japanese modded the radomes to composite which needs a conductive strip to assist the passage of hi voltages of lightning or not.

Our A-320's have composite radomes and have conductor strips for the radomes as opposed to static dischargers on elevator and other trailing edges.

Composites for those unfamiliar do not like lightning at all and can react very violently in some cases destructlively to being hit if not provided with a low resistant passage.

Be interested to hear if someone knows if the Japanese have replaced there radomes or maybe they just did it from some bad experiences.

The USAF does not have these installed on our radomes,same material though must be a Mitsubishi thing? When I worked on exchange with the JASDF they did refer them as static dissipators as they dissipate the static charge build up on the Radome to the airframe through the bonding wires on the hinge mount..

Not arguing just adding what I know.

Cheers

74 model, excellent choice...

All we had at Elmendorf when I was there...

74-098 was one of the two single seaters that nailed the first Bear-H during daylight hours when the gods smiled and we got all kinds of high quality still and video imagery. You can't imagine how big a deal that was, nor what kind of resources were expended to get it (in September of 1985). We lived, ate, breathed, smoked, and shat Bear-Hs at the time. Nobody had ever gotten clear imagery of the wing hard point mounts for the cruise missile pylons, and DIA was *very* interested in that. They had a SRA on open ended TDY from AAVS at Norton waiting to get the goods. They cocked one of the B models on alert at Elmendorf (unheard of) along with the normal pair of A's at Galena and King Salmon. They allowed AAC to launch the F-15s and the KC-135 from Eielson on (highly sanitized) SIGINT only (a BIG no-no in those days), which gave them enough time to get everybody onto and off of the tanker and then in position for the intercept north of Point Barrow. Many beers were cracked the day it all came down. The imagery was put aboard a VC-140 and flown directly back to DC, and the video was on every major TV network news the next night.

Hard to imagine in these days of Bear-H's at air shows, but they were like unicorns in the mid-80s!

F_15_A_74_098.jpg

Edited by Jennings