Sad to report....Uncle Rick Chin has passed away

That's very sad news. I've had the honour of meeting him a couple times, and always enjoyed his company, as well as his amazing store. Truly, a great loss, and my condolences to his family.

Al P.

My condolences to his family and friends. It seems the modeling community as a whole has taken two heavy hits Mr. Chin and earlier Mr. Ted Taylor...both of these gentlemen had a far ranging influence on folks they never met. Rest in peace eternally Mr. Chin and godspeed.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Very Sad, Very sad indeed. I like many others met Rick via the phone and internet. Just recently I was considering make contact again. When we meet again I just may do that. Condolences to his family. God speed!!

Edited by hblecha

Yes, Rick catered for my needs on a few occasions as well. Although worlds apart we were on the same page.

A good guy to deal with. Thankyou for your comittement and great customerservice. Next stop the blue yonder,

Sad news. I only had email contact with him and he was a pleasure to deal with.

His hobby shop was on my list of places to go if I ever found myself in Calgary.

My hope is his shop and legacy continue.

Harold

This is very sad news indeed and is quite a shock. I've known Rick since 2007 when I got back into the hobby. He was a real inspiration to my building and he loved to talk about everything modeling as well as any subject he had an opinion on. He helped my building by critiquing completed kits I brought into the shop. The better ones are still there on display. I drove by the shop today and it is obviously closed. Hopefully I can retrieve my built kits but that's for another day.

Rick, you will be missed! :cheers:/> (anyone who knew Rick will understand the Beer Cheer)

John

Very sad indeed to hear he has left us. I was shocked as I was just in his store mid April. While he didn't look well, I did not know the true extent of his illness. I have many, many memories of Rick. Lots of chicken wings, beers and laughter at The Regal Beagle, the odd airshow and Hooter babes. Rick was certainly instrumental and influential in the Calgary modelling scene, not the least of which was The Rocky Mountain Model Club, and in the past several years, The GOMB's show. Rarely did you not see him working on a model in his store. I had witnessed him giving kits to kids and even said to me on numerous times, "bring it back in two weeks built and it's free." I never took him up on the challenge. I have no doubt he will be missed by many. Condolences to his family and all who knew him.

Tom

He has given every one of my children it's (all three). He just took a kit off the shelf in the store and gave one to each of my kids.

How many hobby shop owners would do that.

• 2 months later...

Colin K

would it be a good idea to have a Group Build in his Honor on here as a mark of OUR RESPECT and that he was well loved .

An Aircraft he particularly like or an era that he admired..

that would be a nice tribute to him...

and maybe the best ONE chosen by SBARC could go to his family as a mark of our appreciation of what he did and stood for and Like SCOOBY SAID HOW MANY MODLERES WERE AS GENEROUS AS MR CHIN..

just a thought . :salute:

may you surf the skies Mr Chin and keep watching US ALL. :coolio:

• 1 month later...

I have been away from both the hobby and ARC for sometime now. I just came across this very sad news.

I never really had the opportunity to meet Rick but I was a huge fan of his work. Browsing through the internet 15 or 16 years ago brought me to ARC and Rick's builds of Canadian subjects. Viewing his work inspired me to get back into this hobby that I enjoyed so much when I was younger.

Thanks Rick for the inspiration. You will be sadly missed by so many you inspired.

My condolences to his family and good friends.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...