1/72 aircraft questions

Hello to all: I´d like to know, wich brand is the best for the following 1/72 model kits?

SR-71

U-2

B-52

C-17

B-707 (military versions=.

Thanks in advance!

The general consensus seems to be the following:

SR-71 - Monogram, then Italeri, then Hasegawa/Academy

U-2 - Airfix

B-52 - Monogram for the B-52D and AMT/Italeri for the B-52G/H

C-17 - You only have one option and that is the Anigrand kit

B707 - Either Heller or a modified Airfix E-3D

Actually, if you can find it, the Seminar U-2A/D is nicer than Airfix. They essentially copied the Airfix kit, but with very nicely engraved panel lines.

The Anigrand C-17 is a disaster (like most Anigrand).

Hi,

If you look for a late U-2 R or S, the only option will be the MPM kit. It has a bunch of resin parts which alows you to make a nice example. Only the superpods are not fitted with the 'Senior Ruby' which is a flat 'pear' shaped face on the front of the pod angled at about 45° downwards. If you want that it is for you to make it. Do expect a lot of work getting all parts fitted etc...

Don't know where to get it, but this is a link to 'cmr-shop' where it is still listed as sold out.

Greetings!

If you just want to build one 1/72 B-52 and you don't care what version it is, I would go with the Monogram/Revell. Right out of the box it's a D version, and she wore some really cool markings during her years of service. If the Delta BUFF isn't what you want, you can pretty much make any tall tail BUFF from the kit with some tinkering. Heck, even if you want a short tail later version of the B-52 some folks would argue that converting the Monogram/Revell kit is easier then building and making more accurate the AMT 52 kits. I have built a few of each over the years and won't touch the AMT kit anymore...causes far too much hair loss :lol: !

I agree with the Monogram/Revell Blackbird. Nice kit for its age.

:cheers:

I agree with what has been said above. I think the "Seminar" kit of the U-2 is likely the same as the one Minicraft issued years ago -- basically an engraved copy of the Airfix.

You gotta be careful (if you want to be "right") when it comes to military 707s. First, understand that a 707 is NOT the same as a KC-135 (and all of its permutations). Some early U.S. military "707s" were early versions of the airliner. For instance, the VC-137A (later converted to VC-137B with newer engines) that were used as Presidential and VIP transports were 707-100 series aircraft. I have such a model underway, made by combining the early 707-style wing from an AMT KC-135 kit with a shortened Heller 707/E-3 AWACS fuselage. It's not an easy job (and probably why it's taking me so long to return to it :bandhead2: ). The Heller AWACS kit (long fuselage, big wing) can also be converted to E-6 Mercury or E-8 Joint Star with resin conversions from FlightPath in England. Warning: kits and conversions are expensive and not for beginners.

If you just want to build one 1/72 B-52 and you don't care what version it is, I would go with the Monogram/Revell. Right out of the box it's a D version, and she wore some really cool markings during her years of service. If the Delta BUFF isn't what you want, you can pretty much make any tall tail BUFF from the kit with some tinkering. Heck, even if you want a short tail later version of the B-52 some folks would argue that converting the Monogram/Revell kit is easier then building and making more accurate the AMT 52 kits. I have built a few of each over the years and won't touch the AMT kit anymore...causes far too much hair loss :lol:/> !

I agree with the Monogram/Revell Blackbird. Nice kit for its age.

:cheers:/>

keep in mind that most all B52D's used in combat had the "big belly mod" done to them. Can you get there with the Revell/monogram kit?

gary

keep in mind that most all B52D's used in combat had the "big belly mod" done to them. Can you get there with the Revell/monogram kit?

gary

If you mean the actual bomb-bay modifications, it's an issue only if you have the doors open - there was no external sign of it. The other element was the 12-bomb arrangement on the inner wing pylon, which is in the kit.

gary

What pigsty wrote. Complete non issue unless you have a big belly modified BUFF Delta opened up. Other then that nope...not an issue whatsoever ;)

If you mean the actual bomb-bay modifications, it's an issue only if you have the doors open - there was no external sign of it. The other element was the 12-bomb arrangement on the inner wing pylon, which is in the kit.

forgot all about the wings! most folks don't realize that a lone B52 could lay down a 1.5 mile long string of 750 or 1000lb. bombs! Man that's a lot of iron!

gary

forgot all about the wings! most folks don't realize that a lone B52 could lay down a 1.5 mile long string of 750 or 1000lb. bombs! Man that's a lot of iron!

gary

Yeah, and the HSAB's in the Monogram/Revell kit are little works of art, especially when one considers the age of the kit. A fully loaded Monogram BUFF looks really menacing.

:cheers:

All this talk of the Monogram B-52 is making me want to break another one out of my stash.... :lol:

• 3 years later...

As a former B-52D Navigator with combat missions over Southeast Asia, the planes that I flew out of U-Tapao, Thailand carried 84 -500 lb bombs internally and 24 -750lb bombs externally with 12 under each wing for a total of 108. For missions out of Andersen AFB, Guam, we carried a total I believe of 60 - 500lb internally and 24  - 750lb bombs externally. The bomb bay was modified to carry the conventional bombs, but could also the easily configured to carry nukes.