New Sheet Announcement #2

48-007_teaser1.png

For the Wolfpack T-38 kit. I guess great minds think alike, because we had some Bicentennial jets in work, as well! This one will be $20 and go on sale fairly soon.

Features 6 jets from 1976 - 2 Air Force Bicentennial T-38's, the Bicentennial jet from NAWS China Lake, 2 QT-38's from China Lake and a Naval Test Pilot School T-38.

What is the story of this camouflaged China Lake QT-38A? Why does it have Polish checkerboards on it?

Vodnik,

Its one of those things we can't explain. We had several pictures of it,so we know it really happened, but we don't know the story behind it either. It was too cool to pass up!

Vodnik,

Its one of those things we can't explain. We had several pictures of it,so we know it really happened, but we don't know the story behind it either. It was too cool to pass up!

I've found a couple of pics of it, so I know it was real indeed. Interestingly the checkerboard is painted as is correct today, but back in the 1976 it was wrong :) From the early years of Polish military aviation up to 1993 the correct checkerboard was rotated 90 degrees from what you can see on that QT-38 (red square was in upper left corner). In 1993 dumb politicians decided to abandon the 80 years of tradition and rotate the insignia...

Edited by Vodnik

The F-86H's the Navy used in the early 70's had a few with the polish checkerboard as well,from what I remember is was due to the units CO's heritage.

That could be it, I honestly thought it was a play on those collaboration markings you see on test aircraft.

Vodnik,

And I'm glad you didn't, as that's why I'll get this sheet and the model. :thumbsup:

Whats the story with the F-4B/N VF-111 sheet?

It's a long story, but I've sent it to someone else, someone that I know is going to do it right, and be way more thorough than what I've gotten previously. He's cranking on it right now.

It's a long story, but I've sent it to someone else, someone that I know is going to do it right, and be way more thorough than what I've gotten previously. He's cranking on it right now.

:sigh: :(

• 4 weeks later...

Can anybody describe the specific differences between the NASA v. USAF boxings (other than the obvious decals)?

Sprue Bros has USAF (WPD10001, MSRP $65) for $65.99 and NASA (WPD10002, MSRP $40) for $42.49. The MSRPs indicate it's not just a sales choice, but I can't see any material differences in the descriptions...

No difference other than the horribly inaccurate NASA decals. Plastic is 100% the same.

Thanks! As I have no interest in either decals, that makes the choice easy... :)

Can anybody describe the specific differences between the NASA v. USAF boxings (other than the obvious decals)?

Sprue Bros has USAF (WPD10001, MSRP $65) for $65.99 and NASA (WPD10002, MSRP $40) for $42.49. The MSRPs indicate it's not just a sales choice, but I can't see any material differences in the descriptions...

SB became the distributor for the NASA version, so they were able to get a better price on it. They were simply the retailer for the USAF version, so the price was higher.

Darren,

Not exactly correct. The source of the two versions were different (and they obviously priced differently). Both sources would have been charged the importer price by WP - then it is just the mark up each importer chose to apply to the kit.

Gordon

Someone is finally doing some Bicentennial paint schemes. I have been hoping for years that I could do the Navy bird with the stars on it. One of my all time fave schemes. I think I'm going to need a couple more kits. Can' t wait for this sheet to be released. Thanks for doing these. Don M.

• 2 weeks later...