Going to spend the night on a ship

Saturday morning my Civil Air Patrol unit is heading to Mobile Al, to spend the night on the ship. we are going to have the park to ourselves after hours and I was told that includes the hanger with the A-12 and the YF-17, any photo requests???

Edited by Vince Maddux

Have fun Vince, sounds like a great time!

I got to see one of the YF-17 Cobras fly at the NAS Pt Mugu airshow, must have been about 1978 or so ...

-Gregg

Watch out for the ghosts.... :unsure:/> !

:lol:/>

Sounds like fun.

That's exactly what I was thinking!!! As for photo requests, I'd say see if you can get some ghost photos. And none of that "floating orb" stuff. I can take my own pictures of dust. I wanna see actually ghostly people, clearly discernable figures, etc. :o

Eric

I've been to Battleship Park a few times. The first was about a month before Katrina laid waste to the place. On my next visit five years later, I was stunned by how well they'd recovered..it was actually better than it had been on my first visit.

We spent most of the day there last summer. I think I managed to crawl through every accessible portion of the ship, and took over a hundred pics. This is the berthing compartment where they let overnight guests stay. Looks nice and "cozy." Fortunately I think it's in the spaces that are now air conditioned. I can't imagine what it was like trying to sleep in there while sailing in the tropics with no A/C!

IMG_7982.jpg

The ship really is magnificent though, and the aircraft museum is pretty awesome as well. Have a great time!

SN

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8226.jpg

Edited by Steve N

And they did the smart thing to preserve Drum by pulling her out of the water. If only the guys at Patriots Point would do the same with Clamagore instead of selling her off as a reef. Have a great time... I would try to sleep on the Drum if I have the chance.

Cheers,

Dave

Saturday morning my Civil Air Patrol unit is heading to Mobile Al, to spend the night on the ship. we are going to have the park to ourselves after hours and I was told that includes the hanger with the A-12 and the YF-17, any photo requests???

Man; that's going to be awesome!

My first thought was that it had something to do with Boy Scouts.

The last time I was there was the Summer of '75.

And they did the smart thing to preserve Drum by pulling her out of the water.

You got that right! Here's what the fantail looked like in '05..

Nats05132.jpg

..and what it looks like now (I guess they still need to build new aft torpedo doors.)

IMG_8231.jpg

She's still a work in progress. Here are the ongoing hull repairs..you can see the outer plating looks like Swiss Cheese below the waterline.

IMG_8194.jpg

SN

I made it home, I had a hell of a weekend, I did get to see every inch of the ship. I ended up spending more the 25 hour awake and driving 300 miles to get there. I also spend the later half og the evening in the ER after one of my cadets busted his head open on a bulkhead. I didn't get back on the ship till 3am But as tired as I was, I took the time to spend some quit time around the ship since everyone else was asleep. I took as many photos as I could, but I am very sure I missed a lot of things.

Between me and my daughter when have 156 pictures to up load to photo buck, I'll put a link up fr everyone who would care to look.