1/32 Bf109G-14 (Revell)

So I decided to build the Revell Bf109G-6 with all the Alley cat resin sets. I figured this would be quite a straight forward and quick

build that I could complete in my summer break from University....how wrong I was! I wont go into to much detail about the kits fit

issues as I think its been said numerous times before on other folks builds. However it has to be said that I think many of the

problems I had were due to my mediocre modelling skills! The Alley cat set is beautiful and is a 'must have' set for this kit but I may

not bother using aires's cockpits again due to fit issues (which Ive had with every set I had from them.)

This is the bird i'm making (montex masks) Bf109G-14 yellow 25.

DSC_0634.jpg

Aires cockpit (Fit issues? Oh yes). Need to tone down weathering.

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

Assembly underway, oh and a crap load of rivets (MDC rivet tool)

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

A wash of humbrol black to highlight rivets and mistakes

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg

That's all for now, next update she'll have some paint on :salute:/>/>/

Painting started. First time using Montex masks and have to say they go down really well

DSC_0645.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

Access panel scribed (not present on revel kit)

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

Spinner (May re-do this as not entirely happy with it)

DSC_0626.jpg

Thanks for looking :salute:/>

That looks very nice indeed. I'm really interested in more information on the fitment of the Aires cockpit as I have one on order for my Revell G-6.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom. To get my Aires to fit I had to sand the sidewalls to almost wafer-thin thickness. A very delicate and time consuming process! Also I had to put the walls in

hot water and carefully bend them to fit the main resin tub. I made the mistake of painting BEFORE I sanded it and subsequently had to strip and repaint it due to it

becoming damaged in the sanding process. Then i had to sand both fuselage walls as well and dry fit everything countless times. Also be careful when fitting the

instrument panel. It clearly doesn't fit as per Aires's instructions and needs a lot of fiddling about. When I'd got it looking as best as I could (it was still

slightly misaligned) I had to fill the HUGE gaps around the top and sand down. Wish I'd brought the new Eduard Brassin cockpit instead :bandhead2:/>

Hi Tom. To get my Aires to fit I had to sand the sidewalls to almost wafer-thin thickness. A very delicate and time consuming process! Also I had to put the walls in

hot water and carefully bend them to fit the main resin tub. I made the mistake of painting BEFORE I sanded it and subsequently had to strip and repaint it due to it

becoming damaged in the sanding process. Then i had to sand both fuselage walls as well and dry fit everything countless times. Also be careful when fitting the

instrument panel. It clearly doesn't fit as per Aires's instructions and needs a lot of fiddling about. When I'd got it looking as best as I could (it was still

slightly misaligned) I had to fill the HUGE gaps around the top and sand down. Wish I'd brought the new Eduard Brassin cockpit instead :bandhead2:/>/>/>

This is good information and typical of installing Aires stuff. But would the Eduard Brassin set be drop in or, at the very least, less troublesome? And the Brassin set is very pricey.

Cheers,

Tom

This is good information and typical of installing Aires stuff. But would the Eduard Brassin set be drop in or, at the very least, less troublesome? And the Brassin set is very pricey.

Cheers,

Tom

Agree that the Brassin set is way to expensive, the price put me off for sure but ive read that its a good fit in comparison to aires and that could've saved me a lot of messing around. Also im not to keen on eduards use of pre-painted IP's, they never look to good IMO.

Cheers,

Tom

Over on HS, Brett Green indicated that the Brassin cockpit goes in nicely. Then he was reminded by others on the HS forum that he had to perform significant modifications to get it to fit. Apparently he "forgot" about the work he had performed.

More and more I'm coming to the conclusion that this guy is a shrill for Eduard.

I think the Brassin set will take less work than the Aires (I don't think anything could take more) but it is not close to being a drop-in. I'm hoping Barracudacals eventually releases a resin cockpit for this kit.

slightly misaligned) I had to fill the HUGE gaps around the top and sand down. Wish I'd brought the new Eduard Brassin cockpit instead :bandhead2:/>/>

Wow I would have never guessed it was such a pain. It looks great. From the pictures you are making this all look easy and the paint is great too! How did you do the chipping on the prop and spinner?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I would have never guessed it was such a pain. It looks great. From the pictures you are making this all look easy and the paint is great too! How did you do the chipping on the prop and spinner?

thanks! R.e the prop, I first base coated with alclad aluminium then over sprayed with Tamiya. The chipping was achieved by using a pin and scratching the paint off.

Ok back at it again. Had a bit of a mishap and had to strip and repaint EVERYTHING :bandhead2:/> . So ive repainted and started with the

weathering, using oils, clear coat more oils, clear coat and abit more airbrush. Figured out that my painting style/technique is abit

over complicated and at this stage I can easily screw things up by over/under doing stuff so fingers crossed. I'll have to try

something new on the next build.

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

Also I got the brassin landing gear set today. First impressions, certainly better than the kit

offering and will save a lot of time but still has a darn nasty seam line which could be difficult to

remove! Think the review that I read praising them was maybe written by Mr.Green? ;)/>

Edited by zaktwist

For all the difficulties you've had to deal with, it looking simply outstanding. I really like your weathering in those up close shots.

Joel

thanks joel! yes its proven to be quite a tough build, probably go for a hasegawa next time

I was wondering because I have both the Aires and the Eduard cockpit sets. Does the lack of the locating bars, for the wing spar, that is on the Revell kit cockpit's underside contribute to the Aires fit problem and secondly does the missing locaters allow the wing spar to align properly? The Eduard set has the locating spar bars on the bottom of their set just like the Revell kit. Anyone have this info or those that have used the Aires set think this could be the problem with the fit?

Mike Horina

I was wondering because I have both the Aires and the Eduard cockpit sets. Does the lack of the locating bars, for the wing spar, that is on the Revell kit cockpit's underside contribute to the Aires fit problem and secondly does the missing locaters allow the wing spar to align properly? The Eduard set has the locating spar bars on the bottom of their set just like the Revell kit. Anyone have this info or those that have used the Aires set think this could be the problem with the fit?

Mike Horina

I think the aires fit issues are due to more than just the spar, which I had to remove in my build. All the spar would do is support the cockpit but I chose to make a small plastic stock 'step' instead. Fortunately the wings were quite easy to align without the spar. One of the main problems (one of many) I had was aligning the Aires IP, It just wouldn't fit and as a result I had to cut off around 1mm from the bottom of the IP.

I think the aires fit issues are due to more than just the spar, which I had to remove in my build. All the spar would do is support the cockpit but I chose to make a small plastic stock 'step' instead. Fortunately the wings were quite easy to align without the spar. One of the main problems (one of many) I had was aligning the Aires IP, It just wouldn't fit and as a result I had to cut off around 1mm from the bottom of the IP.

Zaktwist,

Thank you for this info concerning the spar. Another question if I may. I was wondering about the fit of the Aires IP because with the Eduard cockpit set you cannot fit the IP if you have glued the two side walls to the floor first. Could this be the same problem with the Aires set? Or did you fit the IP with only one side glued on? Thanks for any info concerning this item.

By the way, I really like the way the bottom of your model turned out. The entire model looks very nice and well done.

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina