F-100F 1/48 out of monogram and Trumpeter kits?

Hi all,

Managed to have picked up two Monogram 1/48 F-100D kits here in NZ. One with some after market goody's will I hope if I get my act together be an early D for Vietnam.

The other kit would be nice to build a F-100F. I believe there are some conversions for the Monogram kit, but have been searching the web for awhile with no luck of finding a supplier. Are they all out of production?

So has anyone out there used the cockpit area of the Trumpeter F-100F and installed it into the Monogram kit? Or does anyone know if it is possible to use the Trumpeter fuselage and added it to the Monogram nose, tail, wings? I have never seen the Trumpeter kit in the fresh, and will have to order one from overseas.

Thanks for help cheers Steve

You're better off with one of the aftermarket conversions for the Monogram kit vs. using the Trumpeter. I believe Ben Brown showed not long ago that the Trumpeter F-Troop canopy (and thus the cockpit) is considerably too long. Do a search on F-100F and see if you can find it.

Hi Steve,

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the Trumpeter 1/48 F-100F, but there are a couple of threads here and over at Britmodeller showing how the 1/72 F is more like a 3-seater in length. Since the 1/72 single-seaters all share the same problems as their 1/48 and 1/32 brethren, I would guess the 1/48 F is as screwed-up as the 1/72 kit. Perhaps someone on the forum who has one can measure the fuselage for us.

To convert the much-better Monogram kit, you have several choices, but they might be hard to come by:

War Eagle/Ozmods (I think)/Black Robinz - Excellent vac conversion from the late '80s by War Eagle, with good, accurately-sized Aeroclub white metal seats. Great shape, not too hard to build, nice decals in the War Eagle version. The only downside is you have to scratchbuild the details for the cockpit tub, or just swap in a couple of Monogram pits. It was re-released a few years ago by Ozmods, I think. He added a resin cockpit, looked like it was Black Box's, so it had great detail, but the seats were too short. He sold the masters to Black Robinz, but I don't know if it is still in production. I think Black Robinz is also a NZ-based company.

Fox 3 Studios - Ties with War Eagle as my favorite, most accurate in outline, F-100F conversion. Resin, with a nice vac canopy. Not too hard to build, decent cockpit, based on the Monogram kit pit. You just need to make a glare shield for the rear instrument panel and the crossbar for the canopy. Here is my build (Ignore the bit about the Monogram drop tanks' being too short. They're not.) http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/us/brown100f.htm Gerry also had, decals, drop tanks, and an F-100C conversion available, too. Not sure if they're still in production. You can contact him at gmasher(AT)netzero(DOT)net

C&H Aero Miniatures - Good resin with vac canopy & nice decals. I think the cockpit is a little better than Fox 3's, but their canopy looked a little odd to my eye. Not too hard to build. I think it's still in production: http://www.candhaerominiatures.com/

Maintrack - Long out of production resin with vac canopy. Run away if you find one.

HTH.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the great detailed reply. Been trying to hunt down a Fox 3 Studios or C&H Aero Miniatures conversion on the web. was not aware of the first conversion on your list. All of the web sites appear to be old and not been updated for a number of years that I have come across. Will give you info a try, many thanks and happy modelling,

Cheers steve

Glad to help! Your best bet might be Gerry Asher (Fox 3). I'm pretty sure he's still trading. Last time I heard of anyone doing business with C&H was about a year ago, and they've never been easy to get ahold of, anyway.

Good luck!

Ben

Glad to help! Your best bet might be Gerry Asher (Fox 3). I'm pretty sure he's still trading.

Yes, Gerry is still around. I just talked to him at his vendor table this past Saturday at the IMPS Dallas show. He's a super-nice guy and does good stuff. I have some of his 1/72 F-80 decals and his 1/32 T-33 resin bits and both are excellent.

Good luck!

-Derek

Steve,

I have a War Eagle F-100F conversion that is yours for the cost of postage to your doorstep.

The kit is missing the clear vacu-form canopy and the metal ejection seats.

If you want this kit please contact me via eMail and we can sort out the details.

eMail sent with additional details on what the kit does include.

Offer rescinded due to lack of response from the OP.

Edited by jeffryfontaine

Steve,

If you have no interest in the kit I have offered to you please reply. It seems that someone else is interested in it and I did offer it to you to start with. Please let me know if you do not want it.

Regards,

No reply to my offer with a simple "yes please" or "no thank you" to indicate your interest or lack there of to my offer of the kit conversion for the cost of postage is now null and void. A reasonable amount of time has passed since my original offer was made and another party has indicated their wish to acquire this conversion from me since you appear to have no interest in it.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by jeffryfontaine

Hi Jeff,

Have been away for work last week and have just caught up on your replies. Sorry about the miss coms, as I pushed reply to your e-mail.

Any way thanks for the great offer, hope the new person benefits fro the conversion.

Cheers Steve

Here is a copy of e-ail I replied to your one sent to me.

Me

To ARC Discussion Forums

Jun 9 at 5:44 PM

Hi Jeffry, many thanks for your great offer, just between work and limited free time been trying to see what options are available for the canopy.

I will get back to you.

Thanks again happy modelling

Cheers Steve

Your message was never received nor was an alert/service message sent to my own eMail account to notify me of correspondence waiting to be read here on ARC forums. Things happen, I did give you the benefit of the doubt regarding not seeing my original offer made on 20140605 so waited until the tenth before rescinding the offer. Sorry too for the missed correspondence as well since it seems to be working just fine for other notifications to me from other members here on the forums. The person expressing interest in the conversion lives here in the states so postage will be a lot less.

Hi Jeff, no worries. Not sure what happened, and I am still learning different functions with the ARC web site. All the web searching so far has only turned up what appears to be old sites, or information with any of the conversions. Like most plastic loves the stash at home will keep me busy for awhile, especially at my slow build rate. So will just keep an eye out for one. Many thanks for your great help.

All the best cheers Steve