WW2 German aircraft with 1 missing decal

I know the reason, the Swastika is a politically sensitive symbol that is forever going to be associated with the excesses of Nazi Germany. However, like tobacco sponsor decals on F1 cars, it is no longer included in the kit box for some models, such as the Airfix Stuka purchased yesterday. While I can see the point of not putting it on the box art, I find myself wondering why it can't be offered as a separate decal sheet in the box as after all, anyone who will build an accurate model will do so by other means. A swastika on the tail of a model is not going to incite anyone to become a Nazi, and anyone who was going to be of that leaning would go out and get a bloody great flag with it on, rather than go to all that trouble for a symbol 10mm wide...

Oh for a bit more common sense in the world. Thankfully not all manufacturers are following that lead, the Tamiya FW-190 had them, but none to spare.

So, whinge aside, is there a sheet that has various 'symbols' on it? I would print my own, but the white background that surrounds the black parts means it's impossible for me, as I have no ALPS printer. I'm only doing 1/48th. I don't feel like spending half the value of the model just to get two symbols, which is a way by buying an aircraft specific decal sheet.

Anyone know of an alternative?

Cheers

I think many of the major aftermarket decal makers offer sheets of Swastikas. Sprue Brothers has sheets in several scales:

Sprue Brothers Swastika Decals

As for why they're not included in kits, it's not just "political correctness," it's actually illegal to display Swastikas in some European countries, meaning if they were included the kits couldn't be sold there. Some manufacturers get around this by splitting the emblem in two on the decal sheet, and I have a few Hasegawa kits from the 90s that indeed include it alone on the margin of the sheet, which I presume was simply trimmed off when the kits were imported to countries where it's forbidden. I knew a guy once who used to trade model kits and reference materials with someone in eastern Europe when it was still behind the Iron Curtain. He said he had to go through any books he planned to send and blot out all Swastikas in photos and artwork with a black marker or the books wouldn't be allowed into the country. I remember some MPC releases of Airfix Luftwaffe subjects in the early 80s included a disclaimer on the box stating that the Swastikas included in the kit were part of the aircraft's historically accurate markings.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Hello,

That political correctness is bullshit the svastika is aincent, Extra decal makes them and you get them in every scale,and if you are making a correct historical model of an German airplane of that time it should be there,you get all the Kommunist stars to put on your models why not the svastika.

Cheers

Boris

This is a perennniel question. Whether we feel it's BS or not, it's a fact of life in some countries in Europe. Some (all?) model manufacturers wanting to do business either leave the swastika out or allow you to combine two or three other decals to make a swastika.

True. I know it's inconvenient, but why not just buy a sheet of them to stock up for a while? I know it's not ideal, but in a big way, it's an easy fix.

I will get a sheet of varying ones in 1/48th, once I find somewhere that have them in stock!

Looks like mail order will be the only way, however even then I've drawn a blank from my usual sources. Oh well, a bit of patience goes a long way, and that Airfix BF109E was winking at me when I was in the store asking about the decal sheet.....

Les

*update*

Found a suitable sheet on the other side of the world, Hannants has a good 1/48 sheet with various symbols that will keep me going for years

Edited by lesthegringo

Hello,

That political correctness is bullshit the svastika is aincent,

It's not about the symbol, it's about the context. The reason the swastika is not included in some kits is because of the law in some European countries including Germany. Including the decal or having the swastika on the box art would make it illegal to sell the kit in some territories.

I have discussed this with some of my German colleagues and they are happy with the law in Germany as it stands. Essentially a scale model is deemed a toy and therefore can not have swastikas on it. Some German modellers do put the marking on their models, but to display them publicly, in any way, they must mask or obscure it.

Germany is a democracy and if the people want to change the law it can be done. In the meantime they have a right to expect us to respect their law. Bullshit it is not.

Cheers

Steve

That political correctness is bullshit the svastika is aincent, Extra decal makes them and you get them in every scale,and if you are making a correct historical model of an German airplane of that time it should be there,you get all the Kommunist stars to put on your models why not the svastika.

Can we PLEASE leave political pontification OFF THE FORUM, PLEASE!?!?! The display of the swastika is a VERY sensitive subject to a LOT of people. Just because you don't happen to agree doesn't make it any less true.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THIS DISCUSSION.

For the OP: as noted, most major decal lines feature sheets and sheets of swastikas, and they have for many, many years. It is illegal to display, or sell an item that displays it in Germany. If a kit manufacturer wants to sell their product in Germany (an huge market), they have no choice in the matter.

J

It's not only illegal in Germany, but also in Hungary, Lithuania and Poland. You can also get into trouble in a number of other countries (including Brazil) if it's used with the intent to propagate Nazism.

Vince

For the OP: as noted, most major decal lines feature sheets and sheets of swastikas, and they have for many, many years.

The only downside is that you will, assuming you model Luftwaffe subjects regularly, use all the common sizes and styles on a particular sheet and be left with quite a few you can't give away!

Ask me how I know :)

More seriously it's a good point, the relevant markings are indeed readily available. Also, the simpler, unbordered version, commonly seen on late war subjects, can very easily be masked and sprayed.

Cheers

Steve