Ok, back again with a couple more pictures...

Got the cranky prop guards done. After a couple iterations, finally got them sorted out.

guards1_zps3ht58f9b.jpg

guards2_zps6q9xcfpj.jpg

guards3_zpsqqnute7a.jpg

guards4_zpsakc83rg7.jpg

guards5_zpssp3gmnit.jpg

And to show that I an expending effort elsewhere and not just being disgustingly slow on this build, here is the rest of the shipyard (Hobbyboss Victor III, Alanger Akula I, Airfix Trafalgar (gonna add a full 2076 sonar set up))

others_zps8ydastdw.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

So, these guards aren't shown on the official ship's drawings. They were done based on TIRU's drydock pictures at the time I am modeling her. One of the shots was at a pretty high angle. The corner chip was taken out just so I could reshape it. I am honestly not sure if the aft end attaches to the stern planes, but if it does, it would be at the aft end of the fore and aft section which should be in line with the axle for the stern planes.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks! learning a lot about Guppies from this.

Funny, so am I :) I thought I knew a bunch about them and I learn more every step of the way. Thanks for asking questions, I love being able to talk about submarines.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 months later...

First shots of red onto the hull. Nothing overly exciting. One coat on and time to check for imperfections.

Hull_zpsh3f9c4g3.jpg

A shot of some of the masts in their respective places...still work to do on them, but the #1 scope fairing is there as well as the ESM mast, snorkel induction and snorkel exhaust. Laying down at the front is one of the (unfinished) comms masts.

sailmasts_zpsu7f6awtn.jpg

And a picture or two of the distractions...

twins2_zpsamk5fkge.jpg

twins_zpsrrgimagb.jpg

While laying on the multiple coats of red, I have been working on the masts...here is some of the handiwork...

masts_zpsjewzore2.jpg

On the setback side, I noticed wet spots on the midships and aft PUFFS arrays...hoping it was just paint, I ultimately decided that it was some improperly mixed resin leeching out...so, off with those two and replacements cast...

ugh_zpsjofamzgg.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

All the recent work has been pretty boring...mainly painting and sanding and re-scribing then re-painting. I also got sidetracked by another project. My son was adamant that he wanted to do a lego submarine with me...

lego1_zpsuzajt2pg.jpg

lego4_zpsnurfnd1f.jpg

It has a little bit of everything including internal consoles and seating. Two torpedo tubes in the bow.

lego2_zpsirzsy9pj.jpg

a "deck gun" with 4 torpedoes.

lego3_zps0nzugkte.jpg

Of course, no submarine is complete without a wet well and winch...

lego5_zpsbjrtlcya.jpg

lego6_zpsmju2qodu.jpg

As proof of how boring the work on TIRU has been...here is a shot of the side of the sail where I was fixing a wrinkle in skin...

cleanup_zpsouz78nu7.jpg

As the hull painting finished up I began to hate my life. Now I was spending my time getting adhesive off that stayed on the boat after the major painting was done and the tape came off. BORING and slow. And did I mention boring? I wish these stupid little things would stop occurring. Oh, well, the life of a modeler, right? Until, finally...

Progress!!!! First, I finally figured out a method that worked to strip the adhesive fairly quickly, so I am in the middle of that...first I take up what I can with a piece of packing tape, then rub the leftover with a q-tip with "what-EVER!" cleaner (no joke, that is what it is called) on it. Wipe with a papertowel (or the dry end of the q-tip), let sit and then re-tape off the leftover. Yeah, alot of steps, but it seems to be working great and the paint doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Here's what she looks like with a full paint job in the middle of removing the leftover adhesive...

fullpaint_zpsvqhkl5ey.jpg

Also painted some of the "camo" on the masts and detailed the ESM mast a little...

masts2_zpsrpsfk9ae.jpg

So, now the thread is all caught up to today.

Mojo back? Maybe? We'll see if I can keep pushing through.

Cheers,

Dave

I absolutely love this build

Thanks, now if I could just get some time to finish getting the adhesive off so that I can move on.

Cheers,

Dave

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, DutyCat said:

Amazing amount of work.  Good job.  I visited the Gudgeon in San Diego in 1982.

Thanks, I have been having a heck of a time getting her cleaned up before a gloss coat goes on her in the lead to weathering. I am going to repaint a section this afternoon and then I should be able to move on to the gloss coat. 

Cheers, 

Dave

• 3 years later...

Out of blue, finished. Not on her final base nor do I have the case for her yet, but work complete...except for gluing top of periscope in place. Just put it in place for pictures, but her temporary case is too short for it.

TIRUfullsmall.JPG