D-Day veteran defies nursing home ban for Normandy trip

An 89-year-old WW2 veteran who was banned by his nursing home from going to France for the D-Day commemorations sneaked out and went anyway.

The pensioner left the Hove home at 10:30 BST on Thursday and was reported missing in the evening, police said.

More from the BBC here

:cheers:

Darius

To be fair to the nursing home, they didn't 'ban' him from going at all - in fact they tried to get him on an accredited tour but they couldn't find him a space.

Vince

Your version, it lacks sensation the press needs. :whistle:/>

An 89-year-old WW2 veteran who was banned by his nursing home from going to France for the D-Day commemorations sneaked out and went anyway.

The pensioner left the Hove home at 10:30 BST on Thursday and was reported missing in the evening, police said.

More from the BBC here

:cheers:/>

Darius

:salute:

:clap2:

ANY veteran of that invasion should have front row seats and be an "honored guest"! If they are short on space, let some of the #$%^&*() politicians looking for face time on the news stay home.

Darwin

I'm sure the staff of his nursing home enjoyed his absence too, wondering where he'd gone, worrying about whether he'd been killed in traffic. Apparently he didn't even tell his wife. Fair play to him for getting there under his own steam (even if it was only because he'd asked too late) but was that really necessary, I wonder.

I'm sure the staff of his nursing home enjoyed his absence too, wondering where he'd gone, worrying about whether he'd been killed in traffic. Apparently he didn't even tell his wife. Fair play to him for getting there under his own steam (even if it was only because he'd asked too late) but was that really necessary, I wonder.

I read the story and think how intrepid the guy is and you read it and think how thoughtless and inconsiderate he is. I guess we have different outlooks.

Darius

I read the story and think how intrepid the guy is and you read it and think how thoughtless and inconsiderate he is. I guess we have different outlooks.

Darius

I agree with Sean. Sure, it's good that the old boy decided to make his own way to Normandy, but letting the nursing home staff know he was going would have prevented them from wasting Police time looking for him.

Vince

"B.... tanks in the way couldn't stop me from going to France in '44, what makes you think you can stop me?"

Awesome. :)

But - he should've left a note in his room.

Of course, if he'd been injured, suffered a medical emergency, or worse..the public would be demanding that rhe staff of the nursing home be burnt at the stake.

SN