154334 looks amazing Fred.   I'm thinking the second Scooter is going to look really nice as well in that camo color.   This is just my personal opinion but I never really thought the A-4 looked right in silver paint.   I could see though where it might be an effective adversary color.

1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

154334 looks amazing Fred.   I'm thinking the second Scooter is going to look really nice as well in that camo color.   This is just my personal opinion but I never really thought the A-4 looked right in silver paint.   I could see though where it might be an effective adversary color.

Thanks Don! That second one has been on my to do list for some time as well, so here I go!

I'm a little bummed about not being able to find a suitable silver paint, but that's just a matter of time. Also, the more that I looked at the model I realized that I didn't do the best job of fitting things like the speed brakes, and they would need a bit of sanding. All of that would stick out like a sore thumb under silver paint, so I'll do a better job on the next one 👍 Take care, Fred.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:19 PM, ST0RM said:

Great work Fred!
Sorry about the drop, but that's the hobby sometimes. You fixed it up nicely. 
Looking forward to the second one. 

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Number two is coming along 👍 Fred.

11 hours ago, f5guy said:

Thanks Don! That second one has been on my to do list for some time as well, so here I go!

I'm a little bummed about not being able to find a suitable silver paint, but that's just a matter of time. Also, the more that I looked at the model I realized that I didn't do the best job of fitting things like the speed brakes, and they would need a bit of sanding. All of that would stick out like a sore thumb under silver paint, so I'll do a better job on the next one 👍 Take care, Fred.

Have you tried any of the Tamiya rattle cans in silver?  

10 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Have you tried any of the Tamiya rattle cans in silver?  

Hi Don,

I haven't yet. Several others have suggested it, but when I ordered several different brands of silver to test drive from Sprue Brothers awhile back, they were out of the Tamiya rattle cans. I just haven't gotten around to ordering again, but it's in the near future. I'll give it a go then. Thanks for the intel! Fred.

Okay guys, here's number 2. This is the preliminary pass with the paint. From past experience I knew that all three colors of Model Master paint, no matter how well thinned, would splatter like crazy. I was not disappointed! So if I can get some time in my model room this week, I'll have to break out my Iwata Micron and begin the painstaking task of cleaning the demarcation lines up. As you can tell by the pic, I added some light green to the Euro One gray to lighten it just a bit, but also give it a bit of a green hue as seen in photo's. I think it came out quite well 👍 All for now. Fred.

20230418_005335.jpg

My first impression is that the colours Fred are quite close to those we can see in the photo you uploaded, with the exception perhaps of the brown, which looks kind of 'reddish-brown'.

But, again, as I told you for your first model, you will need to take it outside and photograph it.

Aside from this, let's see how the decals will blend with the colours, because these also can differentiate the final result.

Man, I'm looking forward to see her finished !!!!

Cheers,

Bill

On 4/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, SERNAK said:

My first impression is that the colours Fred are quite close to those we can see in the photo you uploaded, with the exception perhaps of the brown, which looks kind of 'reddish-brown'.

But, again, as I told you for your first model, you will need to take it outside and photograph it.

Aside from this, let's see how the decals will blend with the colours, because these also can differentiate the final result.

Man, I'm looking forward to see her finished !!!!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yeah, it's always hard to tell colors from a picture, and the one that I posted of this jet wasn't the best lit. The decals called for 30117 for the brown, so I went with it. I did knock it down a bit with some camo grey though. I'm happy with it. Take care, Fred.

Hi everyone,

I got the decals on last night. The Fightertown decals went down beautifully as expected. I'm hoping to finish it off in the next day or two. Fred.

20230424_234601.jpg

Alright guys.... I'm calling this one done! I took some outdoor pics, but they look awful, so these indoor on the bench shots will have to do. I used a pair of Pavla resin seats on this second build, and I suspect that they are just a tiny bit oversized. I had to file down the sides of the seats to get them to fit, and it looks like they're just a bit too tall. If I use them again in the future I'll have to remember to cut and file them down a bit before I paint them. I was worried that the grey would be too dark, but the Testors dullcote knocked it down considerably, and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Other than the seats, I'm pretty happy with both models. The thought of starting a couple more of these Hasegawa Skyhawks is tempting me now, but as long as it took me to finish these two off, I'd probably better not do it 😂 Thanks for looking! Fred.

20230428_004314.jpg

20230428_004327.jpg

20230428_004520.jpg

Dude come on! only three photos??? 

I just ordered a big pizza and I also got a six-pack of Budweiser!!! More photos!! More photos!!

Do a proper walk-around and some close-ups!!

Seriously now, beautiful work Fred. 

14 hours ago, Dutch said:

Fred, Terrific work with the pair of Scooters.  A very nice addition to any shelf.  I would be proud to display them.  What's next on the bench?  K/r, Dutch

Hi Dutch,

I'm on a roll with the 48th scale aggressors, so I'm going to keep it going while I have the mojo. I still have 2 AFV F-5E's, 2 Hasegawa F-16's, a Hasegawa F-15C, and a Kinetic CF-5D under construction. I'd like to whittle these numbers down a little more before I start an entirely new project. Also, fishing season is coming up rapidly, and my bench time will drop considerably. I just don't have nearly enough free time to do all of the fun stuff that I want to do! I know, cry you a river, right?? 😆

However, inspiration has stuck, and I have decided to build the two F-5E's as VFC-13 jets in take off configuration like in the pic below. Last year a great friend of mine built me a stunning base representing the take off end of NAS Fallon's runway 31. He did a magnificent job on the base, so now I need some Tigers to put on it! If there is enough interest, I'll do an in progress thread for it. The nice thing is that these AFV F-5E's build up quickly, so you won't have to wait 9 years to see the end result like you did with these Scooters 😂 Take care, Fred.

DSC_3640.JPG

Edited by f5guy
1 hour ago, SERNAK said:

@Fred: Fred, I believe that's an F-5N depicted in the photo.

You're correct Bill..... 761578 is indeed an F-5N. I plan on doing two F-5Es. There seems to be some interest, so I'll go ahead and do an "In Progress" thread. I'll get on that this weekend, and will post some pics of the two Tigers that I'm going to build. Take care, Fred.