The Heller 1:48 Mirage IVP was originally released as a Mirage IVA with the freefall nuclear bomb. Decal options were for bare metal as well as camouflaged aircraft. Shapes and proportions seem good, but the raised panel lines will suffer from filling and sanding around the majority of the joins. The main wheels seem to suffer sinkmarks too, so if there are resin replacements out there, please give a shout. The cockpit is spartan although it has the basis for the tub and ejector seats, but NeOmega does a very nice resin cockpit for the kit.

Jens

Someone made a PE set to allow you to completely re-scribe the Heller 1/48 kit with accurate Mirage IV panel shapes. There was also a very nice resin cockpit (mfr escapes me). Not sure about aftermarket decals. I had a whole package in the stash pre-fire :(

I think the Neomega cockpit is a must if you're going to have the lids open. AML has just come out with an exhaust nozzle set for the 1/48 kit. Several years ago Up North did a 1/48 scribing template, decals and a resin RATO set too. The gear bays on the Heller kit are quite plain, but to date you'll have to scratch build your way in these areas. Syhart Decals also did 3 special scheme decal sets in 1/72 and 1/48 but they are sold out and out of production for some time now.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom

I think the Neomega cockpit is a must if you're going to have the lids open. AML has just come out with an exhaust nozzle set for the 1/48 kit. Several years ago Up North did a 1/48 scribing template, decals and a resin RATO set too. The gear bays on the Heller kit are quite plain, but to date you'll have to scratch build your way in these areas. Syhart Decals also did 3 special scheme decal sets in 1/72 and 1/48 but they are sold out and out of production for some time now.

Cheers,

Tom

Has anyone done this aircraft in any scale?, I know it's not a very popular aircraft, unlike say the "B-58", but that hasn't stopped some kit makers in the past.

...and IV A in 1/72 scale. It is a typical Heller kit of the 70s/80s era - raised panel lines, very nice engineering, reasonable details and useless out-of-register decals.

Here's what Heller's 1/72nd looks like :

F-106MirageIV_zpsf4ea625c.jpgMirageIVF-106quotDeltaDartquot_zps63943f5f.jpg

Image4_zpsd190fc77.jpg

Edited by AV O

Here's what Heller's 1/72nd looks like :

F-106MirageIV_zpsf4ea625c.jpgMirageIVF-106quotDeltaDartquot_zps63943f5f.jpg

Image4_zpsd190fc77.jpg

Thanks loads all, Jennings the info will be put to very good use, as will all the other data given; for some reason I was of a mind that it was larger, this makes in roughly a two seat interceptor with a mud moving angle. Somewhere I read it was supposed to be a Dassault class of medium bomber ( ie the French B-58), which is a tad larger than a six.

I was about to post that those models must be different scales - the Mirage IV is much bigger.....

But then I checked with Wiki.......

Mirage IV Span is 11.85m (38ft 101/4in) length is 23.49m (77ft 1in)

F-106 is 11.67m & 21m

So it isn't that the Mirage IV is small, rather that the F-106 is BIG :woot.gif:/>/>/>

I took these photos at RAF Fairford in 2004 - and I thought it was pretty big then....

mirage iv_001.jpg

mirage iv_002.jpg

mirage iv_003.jpg

mirage iv_004.jpg

mirage iv_005.jpg

Ken

Thanks loads all, Jennings the info will be put to very good use, as will all the other data given; for some reason I was of a mind that it was larger, this makes in roughly a two seat interceptor with a mud moving angle. Somewhere I read it was supposed to be a Dassault class of medium bomber ( ie the French B-58), which is a tad larger than a six.

I was about to post that those models must be different scales - the Mirage IV is much bigger.....

Ken

Thanks for these pictures, Ken.

F-106 vs B-58 :

P1010006.jpg

Hustler vs. Mirage IV :

MirageIVB-58_zps9f94fc94.jpgB-58MirageIV_zps54763503.jpg

More "Biggies" :

B-58 (Monogram) vs. MiG-25 (Hasegawa) and RA-5C (Airfix).

B-58MiG-25.jpgRA-5CVigilanteB-58Hustler.jpg

Edited by AV O

Does anyone have a link to the AM exhausts listed? I would be interested in a set for my build. On a related note, and a shameless plug, I do a set of wheels for the Heller kit too :)/>/>

Cheers,

-Doug

Doug,

Here is a link to AML: http://www.aml.cz/ There is a link right on the main page for the new Mirage IV exhaust. If you scroll down to the bottom of the main page you'll see they have an on-line eshop for buying direct. You have some nice wheel sets there. I'll be placing an order with you.

Cheers,

Tom

Mirage IV Wheels

It would be cool if someone would do the recce pod for the later Mirage IV's.

Hi Jennings,

Several years ago a company by the name of Ouragan did wheels, burner cans, exhaust nozzles, cockpit, CT52 photo recce pod, BOZ 103 Chaff dispenser/pylon and a Barax ECM pod/pylon, all in 1/48. We already know who currently makes the first 4 items in 1/48, but the recce/ECM stuff isn't currently done by anyone I believe in 1/48. But I've been wrong once before. Pavla currently does the CT52 in 1/72 only. Pavla does some other Mirage stuff in 1/48 but not this. The CT52, BOZ103,CT51 and Barax are, or were, done by Model Art in 1/72.

Tom

It would be cool if someone would do the recce pod for the later Mirage IV's.

AMEN to that!!! :pray:/>

I keep hoping L'Arsenal will do it. That have recently done a lot of 1/48 recce pods & such, now they just need to do the CT52 pod.

Larry

thank you "AV O" for posting all those size comparison photos! greatly appreciated70.gif

i would have think it was slightly bigger than that... and would have been disappointed by it "small" size, if i had bought one without knowing this prior to...

anyway, i still think i'm going to build one, someday... it's such a nice looking jet! (as for most Mirage jets)

I've never seen a Heller kit in any form, up/close, how are they for quality as in detail, engineering, decal, and instruction sheet make up (are they non confusing).

Nothing shameless about it. You do exquisite work!

Not bragging, simply D-Rob speaks the truth.....as I recently purchased some wheels for a Hornet, and they are WOW!!!.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I've never seen a Heller kit in any form, up/close, how are they for quality as in detail, engineering, decal, and instruction sheet make up (are they non confusing)

Argentinian and French Navy Super Étendard. The two tone grey Super Étendard is Academy's . / C.M. Fouga Magister (Castel Mauboussin - Glider Maker- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouga_CM.170_Magister)

Supertendardx3JPG.jpgFougaMagister.jpg

This link takes you to a discussion about Heller and Academy kits differences :

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=238174&st=0&p=2269241&hl=super%20etendard&fromsearch=1entry2269241

SAAB Viggen.

This boxing includes the two seater option, with the kinked tail.

AJ-37KViggen.jpgP1010008.jpg

Two videos showing Viggen STOL abilities :

Edited by AV O