F-5A (G) RNoAF Tigermeet 1997

So here we go again.. just finished a Norwegian viper and I found out a new project

1/32'nd scale F-5A Freedomfighter, Nowegian airforce Tigermeet 1997. This paint is just awsome.

1036568.jpg

So how do one make a model that does not exist ?

well actually it does, but it's one helluva job. First you take the good'ol Hasegawa F-5E , and Belcher bits F-5A convertion resin set. then start cutting an gutting.

The main fuslage needs to be replaced, aswell as the tip of the nose and the airscoops. this the resin set takes care of. Basicly you chuck half the E-modell in the bin..

The wings needs to be cut down to -A standard, this intales that the LEX needs to be removed and reshaped aswell as the wingroot needs some trimming.

Now comes the fun part. RNoAF F-5's of the late 90's was heavely modified, new RWR's and Chaff/Flare pods was introduced in the late 80's and the cocpit was modified in the early 90's. I'm making "134" as she was in the mid 2000's as part of the "Eye of the tiger" project and when she last flew in 2007.

The RWR's on the tailfin conveniantly is included in the set I got, but I still have to scratch the one on the nose. Chaff/Flare pods I got from a friend of mine, they are built for the F-16 I ,but close enough with a little modifications done. In the mid 90's most remaining F-5's had a new HUD installed. This is the same Marconi WAR hud as is installed in the F-16 MLU's and also F-16 C Block 50, so here Eduard comes to the rescue.

Now the real headacke with this build is the decals, Most I can use or paint, but the tigers head artwork on the tail aswell as some other details will have to be custom made. Not impossible, but not easy.

This is by no means a shake and bake build, resin is a PITA to work with, but still I think i can pull this one off. all panels have to be rescribed and it's also ahelluva lotta sanding to be done but I hope it'l work out in the end.

20140601_212910_zps7901d327.jpg

20140601_212938_zpsd3217999.jpg

instrumentpanel , work in progress..

20140601_213002_zps573fb728.jpg

20140609_021902_zps8faab13f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...