Formula 1 Dallas Grand Prix 1984

I just remembered that the Big Tex ‘statue’ was probably not there during the race.  It is erected shortly before the Texas State Fair which starts in September and taken down after the Fair ends in late October. So, in July the Big Tex figure would not have been there. Having said that I think it is an interesting addition to your track model as artistic license. 😉

Fantastic feedback !! Thank you very very much ! I'll try to nail it and one day next year (yes it takes a long time to make a sim track as you might expect), I'll give you a proper heads up to see if it all pops back to you :)

Thank you so much for your detailed map.

Here's some pics I have (not from me however, but that I've found during my years, yes years, of research):

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there tire skins?  Real slicks change sheen depending upon temperature, road surface and scrubbing from turns.  They go flat black during turns, then become a matte and then almost shiny as they roar down straights getting cool and smooth.

In addition, squealing race tires are a BAD thing.  You almost never hear them except when you've made an oopsie.

This a neat project.  Do you participate in iRacing?

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to recreate a couple of my photos by placing the eyepoint trackside and rendering stills/screenshots?  A side by side would be interesting!

I can provide locations on the course map...

I had ~5 shooting spots/angles.  I've annotated crops from the course map showing camera location (green circle) and viewing azimuth (green line).

(edit) knowing the photo locations may help you with background & trackside scenery in your track model 😉

First spot was at the chicane with roller coaster in the background, wide angle lens (~28-35mm)

VM8Xoz3.jpg

I just noticed there are people actually up on the roller coaster track watching the race!

Ia4BdvE.jpg

Edited by habu2

Moving over a bit, looking up the hill on the back straight. 

4r1XWue.jpg

Wide angle lens, notice there are two fence openings on the right side fence up the straight.

UQxr8ON.jpg

Same spot, telephoto lens, note the course worker's arm in the second/farther fence opening

COwhCBx.jpg

Next spot was at the aforementioned second fence opening, looking back at the chicane, medium telephoto lens.

AO8X1d9.jpg

Note photographer on right hand side (facing away), that's where the "roller coaster" shots were taken from

vUoZMG9.jpg

Edited by habu2
  • 2 months later...

Oh man I'm sorry I didn't see all your posts.. Ok, I'll try to get some screens for comparison when I get home, see if I can get any descent in-sim shots. Normally in terms of fencing, walls, camber and stuff, I shouldn't be far off at all (since I took your pics as references lol, but let's still check it out).

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2019 at 2:28 AM, janman said:

Had missed this too but I'm so happy that you happened to bring it up, Don! 

Great stuff here! I still remember this race, not from TV (it wasn't necessarily broadcast here at the time) but I remember the magazine article covering this race on our local motor sport magazine that my father was subscribing for decades. Keke was a national hero at that time (having won the championship in -82) and I still remember every Williams and McLaren he drove. It is big shame there are no injection models of these cars, not even from the championship year. 

Those were the golden years. Cars were made of metal, the drivers were real men in their moustache and who smoked in the pits. And still they could handle these beasts with no power steering, no electronic aids, just raw power.

Thanks for posting, habu2!

janman,

I know it has been a few years, but, just in case you didn't see this kit.

check here for a mp4/2c.

http://www.nunumodelkit.com/mclaren-mp4-2c-86-portuguese-gp/

and 

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/mclaren-mp42c-86-portuguese-gp

1 hour ago, ytsejam87 said:

janman,

I know it has been a few years, but, just in case you didn't see this kit.

check here for a mp4/2c.

http://www.nunumodelkit.com/mclaren-mp4-2c-86-portuguese-gp/

and 

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/mclaren-mp42c-86-portuguese-gp

Yeah, I'm aware of the kit and was pretty surprised when it was announced. But yeah, this might be the only easy way to get Keke's car even tough the particular ride never suited his driving style.