CD48071 - Desert Kingdom Defenders

CD48071 will be a sheet featuring the Tornado in Royal Saudi Air Force service, covering both the desert camouflage and the newer gray scheme. It is intended for the new Revell kit.

Edited by KursadA

Ok that is a most interesting release. I believe that here was only a very old Superscale sheet issued many years ago and is very hard to get so your release is most needed.

Thanks yet again Kursad and looking forward to the profiles.

Any chance it might become available in 1/32nd as well?

Not very likely anytime soon-sorry. 1/32 is difficult enough even for US subjects, which is supposedly where most of this market is.

But I do not like perfectly good artwork gathering dust, so you never know - I might scale it up in the future and give it a shot.

Edited by KursadA

Hey Kursad here is an idea. How about a sheet with several different aircraft in 1/32nd? This way it would widen your market and maybe sell that scale. Unfortunately who ever buys the sheet has to take the other schemes too. I know Afterburner did it with their F-15 Agresssor sheet, TWICE. I have both but I certainly don't need the 1/32nd set since I build 1/48. Have to figure out how to get rid of the bigger parts.

Just an idea as I said :)

Hey Kursad here is an idea. How about a sheet with several different aircraft in 1/32nd? This way it would widen your market and maybe sell that scale. Unfortunately who ever buys the sheet has to take the other schemes too. I know Afterburner did it with their F-15 Agresssor sheet, TWICE. I have both but I certainly don't need the 1/32nd set since I build 1/48. Have to figure out how to get rid of the bigger parts.

Just an idea as I said :)/>

I personally would love that. There's quite a few decals that you made in 1/48 that I'd love to see in the 32nd scale.

How about limited runs of those perhaps?

I will consider it, but how I am not sure how these diverse subjects can be grouped on the same same sheet under a coherent theme that makes any sense. What I am going to put on the same sheet as a Saudi Tornado? Anyway - my grievances with the 1/32 scale are too numerous to list here, but I will not give up on that scale just yet. This idea of multiple aircraft on the same sheet is something I could experiment with.

Sorry for maybe creating more work for you Kursad as if you do not have enough to do already :).

I know Wolfpack Decals does these multi aircraft decal releases but only in 1/72nd scale. If you were going to do something similar, I believe the main consideration would be how many colours. Plus in 1/32nd you could not put that many schemes on the sheet as the markings would be quite big.

I always find it interesting that whenever you announce a sheet in whatever scale, someone asks for another scale :) Unfortunately it is all well an dgood to produce it in the other scales but if you sell 10 sheets what was the point? Just an observation.

• 3 months later...

Folks, I have been working on this Tornado sheet and had an idea. Even with the stencilling for both camouflage schemes thrown in, there just is not much variety in Saudi Tornado markings to fill a complete sheet. How about I change the name of the sheet to "Desert Kingdom Defenders" and add markings for RSAF Typhoons in there as well? This way we can cover Saudi Tornados and Typhoons in one sheet. I will finish the Tornado markings first and see how much space is left - hopefully there will be space for Typhoons.

Folks, I have been working on this Tornado sheet and had an idea. Even with the stencilling for both camouflage schemes thrown in, there just is not much variety in Saudi Tornado markings to fill a complete sheet. How about I change the name of the sheet to "Desert Kingdom Defenders" and add markings for RSAF Typhoons in there as well? This way we can cover Saudi Tornados and Typhoons in one sheet. I will finish the Tornado markings first and see how much space is left - hopefully there will be space for Typhoons.

Ok now that's a great idea. :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/> Too bad the Saudis never went with a camo scheme with their Typhoons. Now that would be something :)/>

Edited by skyhawk174

YES PLEASE

A RSAF Typhoon sheet is long overdue.

Let me know if you need some pointers.

I should be able to finish this sheet sometime next week - the November line-up is full, so it is likely to be released in December or later. These don't have the stencilling as I am still working on those, but I just wanted to show you what I have so far. The main markings are complete.

If everything fits on the sheet, there will be markings for camouflaged Saudi Tornados from three operator squadrons (66, 75 and 83 Sqn, complete with unit insignia) and a low-vis gray Tornado (these don't seem to have unit markings yet). On the Typhoon side, there will be single and twin-seater options for both squadrons (3 and 10 Sqn). If I still have space, I will include markings for one of the Saudi aircraft that temporarily wore RAF markings as part of the Tornado Sustainment Program.

tornado_promo.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Looking great Kursad, just a note to say that once the Typhoons arrived in Saudi the "God Bless You" script was applied to the aircraft just in front of the roundels. They didn't carry it before or during delivery.

Current Saudi Typhoons also appear to be sporting a "God Bless You" slogan in both Arabic and English script just forward of the fuselage roundels.

Doh, didn't see that Scotthldr mentioned it in his post.

Edited by Jay Barfoot

Folks, these are just early draft profiles for a sheet that is two months away. You can see that marking on the Tornado, so you know I have already drawn it. No worries, it will be there on the sheet along with all others; far more accurately than anything done for these aircraft before.

Edited by KursadA

Have you thought about Saudi Tornado F.3's or Hawks?

This sheet would be great in 1/72 scale being that there are some really good 1/72 scale kits already out there.

Edited by Johnopfor
  • 4 months later...