Calling for A-Model builders

I'm currently building the Modelsvit 1/72 Tu-144. It has resin and fiberglass parts like some of the big Amodel kits. The fuselage has been glued together with a small seam and ridge running down the length of the upper and lower fuselage.

What is the best way to get the seam out? Type of filler to use, etc.

Secondly, I'm going to have to join plastic to fiberglass/resin parts. Again, what's the best method to join, glues and putties to use, and then to sand out.

Thanks,

Chris

You can file and sand it just like you would plastic or resin.

For filling you can use any kind of filler you normally use. Just treat it like styrene and you'll be fine.

I have built loads of Amodel 'Amonster' kits - and recently the Modelsvit An-124.

For the seam along the fuselage, I sanded it down and used ordinary model filler - Green Stuff, or Humbrol.

For a bigger 'step' between the fuselage and nose visor, I used Milliput.......

an-124_12.JPG

For glues, I use normal 'Superglue' (both thick and thin) - and sometimes slower-setting two-part epoxy where I need to make 'adjustments' before it sets.... as on the An-124 nose visor...

an-124_11.JPG

An-124 build here

Some more of my builds......

Amodel Be-200 here.

Amodel Mil V-12 here.

Amodel M-50 Bounder here.

More if you want them.....

Ken

PS - Keep us posted on your build - looking forward to following it. :thumbsup:

Flankerman and Jennings,

Thanks for your replies. I wanted it get the scoop before I applied the wrong medium and/or use the incorrect tools before I screw up a $300 kit!

I started filling the seams today using Tamiya putty and things are looking ok so far.

I have a thread started over at Z-5.net. Only a few pictures so far. I'll give it an update when there's some good news to report.

Thanks again,

Chris

I'm working on the A-50 (Il-76 AWACS) right now. I agree with Flankerman, except I prefer Apoxie to Milliput. I think the Apoxie is easier to work with. I've found that thin superglue works really well in the seams as it wicks in by capillary action, strengthening while filling. Just make sure you sand any superglue quickly after it drys before it gets too hard.

I'm working on the A-50 (Il-76 AWACS) right now. I agree with Flankerman, except I prefer Apoxie to Milliput. I think the Apoxie is easier to work with. I've found that thin superglue works really well in the seams as it wicks in by capillary action, strengthening while filling. Just make sure you sand any superglue quickly after it drys before it gets too hard.

How do you like the A-50 kit? I've been pondering that kit along with the 196. Which one should I go for?

How do you like the A-50 kit? I've been pondering that kit along with the 196. Which one should I go for?

I presume you mean the Tupolev Tu-126 ?? (not '196') ???

I've built the Il-76 - and have the A-50 in the stash.

The Tu-126 is probably going to turn more heads than the A-50 - it being 'rarer' - the A-50 is more colourful....

day02_013.jpg

day02_014.jpg

Up to you really..... but show us your builds whichever you choose. :thumbsup:

Ken

The Amodel A-50 kit is missing the large horizontal strakes (those attached to the main gear fairings) characteristic of the type. I admit I don't know much about the A-50 - perhaps the strakes are not always fitted as at least some prototypes seem to be missing them - but I find the omission irritating.

Beriev_A-50_in_2009.jpg

I presume you mean the Tupolev Tu-126 ?? (not '196') ???

I've built the Il-76 - and have the A-50 in the stash.

The Tu-126 is probably going to turn more heads than the A-50 - it being 'rarer' - the A-50 is more colourful....

day02_013.jpg

day02_014.jpg

Up to you really..... but show us your builds whichever you choose. :thumbsup:/>

Ken

Whoops. Meant the Il-76. Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks.

The lack of strakes is a shortcoming of the A-50 kit, but otherwise the kit is very good. It has the problems you would expect from an Amodel monster. Flankerman has a very useful link to his Il-76 build, which I've been using as reference. M'Hobby magazine from January 2003 has great scale drawings (1/144) which include the strakes--so I plan to make my own with styrene and epoxy. Both the A-50 and A-50U (except some early examples) have the strakes. So, if you choose to build the A-50, you have to bite the bullet on that.

The other significant inaccuracy of the kit is the tail. From the cone up to the rudder, the shape is broad with a pronounced step under the rudder. In reality, that area tapers to meet the rudder. I've spent several nights filing, sanding, filling, and filing again working on that.

IMG_2310.jpg

Be prepared for a lot of filling.

IMG_2312.jpg

The dark grey color scheme has appeared recently on most of the Russian A-50s, along with the modern star and the VVS tail titles.

Edited by tberres2

Both the A-50 and A-50U (except some early examples) have the strakes.

That is not entirely correct. A-50U's do have strakes, but these are much smaller than on A-50 so not comparable. See:

http://russianplanes.net/id135760

That is newest bort, it looks like this on all A-50U's. Oddly enough this particular A-50U doesn't have refuel probe.

The dark grey color scheme has appeared recently on most of the Russian A-50s...

Nope. It has only appeared on one aircraft, b/n red 33.

Thanks for the pic. My references show borts 50-54 with the large strakes, lacking the port navigator glazing. In those, they're identified as 'A-50U'. Perhaps that is incorrect. In any case, I planned to build the large strakes.