Bf-109 Question

Arcane - 109 question: Did most late vintage G-6's have the flare port on right side, underneath the windscreen sealed? I'm building a very late vintage G-6 but none of the pics I have of the actual aircraft show this area. The Revell kit gives you a choice of a ventilation intake or the flare port in this location but I've seen pics of other G-6's with the flare port sealed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello John

The Bf 109 K-4 handbook includes a schematic drawing of the navigational, rescue and safety equipment that depicts the bracket tube for the flare gun so it can be inferred that the last production model of the fighter was intended to have this as standard equipment. Perhaps the reason why on some aircraft this appears sealed is that the opening was doped with fabric or tape for a variety of reasons? Hopefully others can add to this.

Horrido!

Leo

I've just checked in my 'Bf 109 Recognition Manual' and from what it says there, the flare port was added at around the G-6 series. Clearly, not all would have it, as some still had the ventilation port. As you're building a Late G-6, I'd suggest going with the flare port. You could place a small patch of tape over it to simulate the fabric covering that was often applied to seal the port.

Parabat,

all 109 versions from IIRC D (except the pressurised ones) sometimes had the flare port. The question is why some have it and some don't.

In Schiffer Messerschmitt Me 109F-K Development, testing, production I found that in (I presume I understood that correctly) the official Luftwaffe description of the 109F series, the flare gun is listed only in F-2/Trop and F-4/Trop specifications.

The 109F manual clearly shows the flare port and signal ammo storage yet there is no mention that I found if this is optional installation or not.

Vedran

Vedran,

Thanks, I did not know that, thanks. I'm starting out finding out about the 109 in depth, so I looked in the G section of the book I mentioned.

Might the apparently random appearance of the flare port be in any way related to the various factories and assembly lines the 109's came from?