Sepecat Jaguar load-out ideas?

I just started the Italeri Jaguar in 1/72 and would like to hear some ideas how to arm the bird. I plan to build it as a real "Cold War"-aircraft, flying in winter camoflage somewhere in a lat 80ies setting.

OK, what would you guys do?

HAJO

Most pics of them I saw were armed with BL755s and/or CRV7 pods. My fav. pic I saw was one in the normal euro camo and one in winter flying through the mountains in Norway, had to look at it for a while before I saw the winter one. Very effective camo indeed

ff going for the 1980s - CRV-7 was only added in time for Desert Storm (and then didn't work until some weapons kit software glitches were sorted out).

The majority of aircraft operating in Norway were seen with just underwing/centreline tanks and CBLS (practice bomb carriers) outboard (if there wasn't a tank on the centreline, you could also see one there as well/instead of on the outboards).

But if putting ordnance on, then the choice is generally from BL755 and 1,000lb bombs, with a couple of interesting alternatives.

The maximum load would be two bombs in tandem on the centreline, two on tandem beam carriers under the inner wing pylons and two mounted directly to the outers. The problem there is that the old joke about the Jaguar's lack of power requiring it to taxi over the target to deliver that warload applies...

A centreline tank plus four underwing bombs (on the tandem beams) and empty outer pylons is a possibility; you could legitimately put AIM-9Gs and their associated rails on the outer pylons (the overwing AIM-9 pylons were another addition for Desert Storm/Op Granby), while an ECM pod (left outboard) is also a possibility, along with a Phimat dispenser (right hand side).

Alternatively, two underwing tanks with two centreline bombs and two further iron bombs/BL755 outboard, our empty outer pylons would work.

A more 'exotic' load would be two UK Paveway II (which, of course, are not the same as GBU-16, but UK 1,000lb bombs with a Paveway kit added to the bomb body) on the inners, with probably an ECM pod and Phimat or maybe an AIM-9G on the outer pylons; you wouldn't see a mixed PWII/iron bomb underwing load. There wouldn't be a designator pod, since until the integration of TIALD in the early 90s, Jags were reliant on designation from other pod-equipped aircraft.

Finally, if doing a 2 Sqn or 41 Sqn aircraft, you could put a recce pod on the centreline; there is one in the Italeri GR1 (parts 58 and 59, squinting at online images of the sprues/instructions).

Edited by xv107

Thank you for the information!

I was initially planning to add Durandals, but quickly realized that the RAF-Jags didn´t carry them. Until this morning I was turning my eyes on an asymmetric load with a TIALD under the belly, ALQ-101/Phimat combo on the outer pylons and a tank and a UK Paveway on the inner pylons. Unfortunately I spent my two TIALDs on Tornados....

BL-755s would be cool, but I don´t have the tandem beams.

So, at the moment I´m thinking about three options:

1. UK Paveways on both inner pylons, with a centerline-tank and ALQ-101/Phimat combo

2. Single BL-755 on both inner pylons, with a centerline-tank and ALQ-101/Phimat combo

3. (kind of What-If): A PAVE SPIKE-pod on the centerline, one Paveway/one tank on the inner pylons, ALQ-101/Phimat combo outer pylons

I don´t necessary want to model an aircraft in a proven/seen configuration, but maybe in a "What if the Cold War went hot"-look.

HAJO

Thank you for the information!

I was initially planning to add Durandals, but quickly realized that the RAF-Jags didn´t carry them. Until this morning I was turning my eyes on an asymmetric load with a TIALD under the belly, ALQ-101/Phimat combo on the outer pylons and a tank and a UK Paveway on the inner pylons. Unfortunately I spent my two TIALDs on Tornados....

BL-755s would be cool, but I don´t have the tandem beams.

So, at the moment I´m thinking about three options:

1. UK Paveways on both inner pylons, with a centerline-tank and ALQ-101/Phimat combo

2. Single BL-755 on both inner pylons, with a centerline-tank and ALQ-101/Phimat combo

3. (kind of What-If): A PAVE SPIKE-pod on the centerline, one Paveway/one tank on the inner pylons, ALQ-101/Phimat combo outer pylons

I don´t necessary want to model an aircraft in a proven/seen configuration, but maybe in a "What if the Cold War went hot"-look.

HAJO

Option 1 is a great one, I think - it's not a commonly-seen load, but is entirely legitimate.

Option 2 - it would be more common to have a two tank fit under the wings and the two bombs on the centreline, but bombs mounted direct to the pylon are possible. I can't recall seeing it with BL755 (have with 1,000lb bombs), but that's only indicative of my memory as opposed to the accuracy of the proposed load-out... (edit - thinking about it, I have a feeling that the Jag used to demonstrate the ability to take off from motorways had single BL755 on the inners, thus proving the point about my memory).

Option 3 - Apart from the use of Pave Spike, it's not that what-if - with TIALD, that's a fit that was seen; the tank going on the centreline and the designator on the underwing pylon was also seen, but IIRC, the greater field of view from mounting the pod on the centreline was regarded as being the better bet (no fuselage getting in the way). Had the decision to give the Jags self-designating capability been made (rather than relying on 237OCU's Buccaneers), then Pave Spike would've been the pod chosen for this task.

Edited by xv107

I will be able (and chose) to use Option 3: A friend of mine is going to send me a TIALD-pod, so I´m happy!

Thank you for your help!

Do you have any details and information about the winter camoflage? I´m going to paint the aircraft first in the standard green/grey-scheme and plan to overpaint the grey areas with white and some parts of the green also. Of course the white will be painted very sluttish, as if it was applied in the field.

HAJO

I'm not really an expert on the camo - there were various approaches to painting up the aircraft, IIRC - including the use of light blue paint, splotches, neatly-edged white temporary covering (ISTR that there was one airframe where the green was overpainted with white, rather than the grey), etc, etc.

If you've not seen it, this might help (demonstrating the adage about pictures and 1000 words) -

Snow camouflage

I noticed that I have two different sets of "european" LGBs: The standard UK Paveway, and another LGB with an additional set of small canards at the tip of the bomb. Were these used by the RAF as well?

HAJO

What color are PHIMAT and TIALD usually painted?

HAJO

Sort of a gloss bronze green.TIALD only came into service in 1991 with the Tornado GR1's,it was rushed into service for Op Granby/Desert Storm.We use a standard UK 1000lb bomb with an adaptor collar for the bomb's rear fins & a collar adaptor for the Mk90 MFBF unit.

Spike (RAF Armourer)

Below is the standard 1000lb Laser Guided Bomb being loaded to a RAF Harrier..

LaserGuidedBombs_zpsa50d9982.jpg

Thats a Indian Air Force Jag, they use the overwing pylons but with Magics not Sidewinders.

Nose is wrong for a French Jag

My mistake,knew it wasn't RAF tho...And that would explain the British standard 1000lb bombs I missed....DOH!

Edited by spike7451

Thanks guys, but since I don´t have enough 1000lb bombs, I´ll stick to that asymmetric load with a tank, a 1000lb LGB and the TIALD.

PHIMAT and ALQ-101 on the outer pylons and Sidewinders "over wing".

I will post some pictures of the model later, it´s now in the stage where I can apply decals.

HAJO