Allright guys. I've been waiting an gathering "kwowdledge" to tackle scratch building, but if I keep waiting to feel confortable I'm gonna get old and won't do it, so After watching ZAgocs' phantom I decided to give it a try.

Please keep in mind a couple of things, most of the time I do what I can with what I have on hand the closest hobby stor is 200 Kms away and I'm on a small budget, accuracy, for now, is not the main target at least as long as scratch building is concerned, in this case. Bear with me on this first attemp to add some "life" to a model for the first time.

I've chosen the 1/48 RF-4E from Hasegawa, i guess you all know the kit and I haven't decided how to paint it, it will be a JASDF or a Luftwaffe bird, once I'll get there I'll decide, hope to get to something at least "nice" at the end!! enogh BS and let's get to the pics

IMG_7033_zpsd3c19407.jpg

IMG_7035_zps3c816102.jpg

IMG_7197_zpsa8b44ab2.jpg

IMG_7208_zps7b7aba6f.jpg

Got a little excited and opened these "windows" just to realize the interior would look kinda empty, something shall be done later on

IMG_7356_zpsf7d03bb3.jpg

IMG_7357_zps3d8874c8.jpg

Kike,

You're to be commended on taking that 1st scary step. I know it was a major issue for me as well, but once you get your feet wet, you'll be glad you did. Detailing isn't only about busying up a build, or parts of the model, but also it should be about correcting kit errors and omissions. Learning how to use research material will go a long way towards those goals. And with today's vast amount of available online research material, cost and distance isn't a issue.

As far as supplies go, I've found that ordinary stranded wire, as well as computer cables once stripped have all sorts of varied dia. wires that are great for detailing.

So far your cockpit looks like you're attaining your goals.

Joel

Hi Kike!

Nice to see that you took a deep breath and started it!

You're to be commended on taking that 1st scary step. I know it was a major issue for me as well, but once you get your feet wet, you'll be glad you did.

I absolutely agree with Joel. After you started scratchbuilding, you cant stop it. One advice: dryfit your work as often as you can to avoid problems later.

Good luck with your build! :coolio:

Cheers,

Zoli

Well this build's proven thatt things look way easier than they really are!

I got my jands on two resine seats from Verlinden and I'm impressed of the level of detail! no wonder why some of you stuck as much as possible! this is my intent to render them to life at least a bit!

IMG_7533_zps4fef3a3c.jpg

IMG_7534_zps2ec71986.jpg

IMG_7537_zpsb8ef9918.jpg

IMG_7557_zps2f1ae792.jpg

IMG_7555_zps88e8740d.jpg

IMG_7554_zps4c8d1348.jpg

This is how the cockpit is looking so far, everythings dry fitted and, in my book, looks ok!

IMG_7385_zpsd77c36ef.jpg

IMG_7386_zpsb22546d3.jpg

IMG_7611_zpsfe44705d.jpg

IMG_7614_zps4c51e469.jpg

After spending some hours not knowing what to do, I decided to get into riveting, this model has some of them but not enough so I started digging some more

IMG_7656_zps72d8f171.jpg

IMG_7657_zps1e6efd15.jpg

IMG_7660_zps402acb6c.jpg

IMG_7661_zpsb29eba7f.jpg

Then it was time to close the fuselage with some of the guts inside

IMG_7664_zps93621db5.jpg

IMG_7665_zpsb063ca53.jpg

IMG_7667_zps684408f1.jpg

IMG_7668_zps31278776.jpg

A constant in my builds are broken pitot tubes, so this time I'm gonna try something new, and a bit of work on the front camera

IMG_7670_zpsc107c6ae.jpg

IMG_7672_zps6c5e46d8.jpg

And after wathcing Chuck work his magic on the pylons I tried to make a small effort to add a bit more of detail

IMG_7687_zps36522c64.jpg

You certainly succeeded. Your detailed pylon is a vast improvement over the stock part. I'm quite sure that Chuck would approve.

Joel

• 5 months later...

After having tons of "problems" with this build, solid paint due to aging, problems with the airbrush, bad weather, life getting in the way etc. I managed to get going and kind of save the model, since I didn´t feel like doing it anymore.... Anyway this is what I've been doing

IMG_7742_zps56cb8d4a.jpg

IMG_7952_zps790041cc.jpg

IMG_7961_zps62c92ca1.jpg

IMG_7972_zps5dc5746e.jpg

IMG_7990_zps9a511f93.jpg

IMG_7947_zps2d05a153.jpg

IMG_8018_zps6546c11c.jpg

IMG_8245_zpscb1555b1.jpg

It was such a nice project at the beginning and it turned into almost "rescue mission" all because of me!

Good Lord man if your scratch building goes any further your going to outdo your painting skills. I love the paint man. Great job on the scratch work as well. I use everything plastic and wire in my house to get where I want things to look I have even cut up waste baskets for spare plastic in order to have more styrene. Scratch work is a hard step to move to just like PE but once you do and get the hang of things its all downhill from there.

Appreciated Devilleader501!!!

After using sand paper to get a nice and smooth surface I managed to get a nice coat of glosscote over the model and prepare to the decals (lots of them again)

IMG_8451_zpsd6eff317.jpg

IMG_8452_zpsce709298.jpg

IMG_8453_zpsd098b1d0.jpg

IMG_8454_zps67f56e93.jpg

IMG_8455_zpsbdbf2612.jpg

IMG_8531_zpsd35d7085.jpg

IMG_8533_zpsa3ecbb5c.jpg

IMG_8534_zps05a3cf9b.jpg

IMG_8538_zps5d464c6b.jpg

IMG_8549_zpsd2caa6e9.jpg

Kiki,

What a fantastic, well detailed build. Your detailing skills are really 1st rate. It's hard to believe that this is your 1st effort at kicking it up a few notches. As for your painting skills, simply 1st class my friend. Excellent pre-shading, and the camo scheme doesn't have any over spray issues I can see.

Looking forward to seeing your Phantom decaled in your next update.

Joel

Thank you very much guys!

Joel I forgot to say that the camo was free hand painted, I don't like hard borders so I try to avoid masking, still trying to test blue tac technique to make it a little bit easier, now some decal pics, It'll take a while cause there's a like two millions of them again!

IMG_8565_zpsb839eb8a.jpg

IMG_8587_zps0c26bc2a.jpg

IMG_8564_zpsb4ea3b30.jpg

7af4715e-d4c9-4517-ae67-425d55c16f80_zps695429f7.jpg

IMG_8558_zps66cf1eb6.jpg

IMG_8627_zpscbb49ece.jpg

IMG_8635_zpsd634e5ae.jpg

IMG_8653_zps5aba2130.jpg

After decals I'm gonna weather it a bit with pastels...Hope you like it

You have done a fine job on the scratch building. From what I have seen, I would not have known that this was your first go at it. It was a professional job IMHO. I especially like the way you presented the stages in painting step by step, as it is a great how to for a novice like myself. Great job sir!

You've done a great job! One small item for your next build, I believe the bumps over the gear on top of the wings need to be removed. I think they belong only on US Navy Phantoms, but I could be wrong. I do not have my references with me right now.

You've done a great job! One small item for your next build, I believe the bumps over the gear on top of the wings need to be removed. I think they belong only on US Navy Phantoms, but I could be wrong. I do not have my references with me right now.

You are right Gonzalo, those bumps shouldn't be there, I'm starting to find my way through adding things to the models but I haven't gotten to removing things from them! :(/> , I tried once on a Hasegawa phantom and it wasn't nice...at all! still trying to find a way to fix it, so I just kinda close my eyes for now.

You can see on my last phantom, those same bumps where supossed to be removed but I chickened out and didn't even tried! take a look and you'll see them! I appreciate your correction!

DSC_8640_1_zps8b3dc8c3.jpg

Edited by kike

You have done a fine job on the scratch building. From what I have seen, I would not have known that this was your first go at it. It was a professional job IMHO. I especially like the way you presented the stages in painting step by step, as it is a great how to for a novice like myself. Great job sir!

Thanks! It's far from beeing professional but I'm quite happy with the result! Good to know you find this thread interesting since I try to do what I was looking for during the beginning of my return to modeling, I searched for a long time until I finally found a couple of forums with great modelers, and, what is more important, willing to share their "secrets". I do my stuff at another level, but is good enough for first timers to see they can reach a decent result following some steps! If you take a look at a thread by Chuck, Marcel, Joel or many more great modelers, you can see the results a bit far from your reach, It happened to me! If you take a look at mine, you can be sure you are gonna achieve it!! or do it better which is the main target! Follow the best ones! but you gotta start somewhere!