So, I sold a space shuttle beany cap to a dude in France. I get back a message telling me it is broken in transit. He says he has pics, but never sends them. He complains that my padded envelope is insufficient and that I need to use a box. I tell him it is a robust piece, and a padded envelope should be fine under normal circumstances. A box won't help unless it is made out of wood! I have been sending these all over the world and only had one piece broken in the year or so I have been selling them.

He is still insisting that I send him a replacement in a box. Now he is starting to threaten me with complaining to ebay and paypal, and I still have not seen any pics. Threatening me just tics me off, so I just refunded his money. I modified my listing to state that I would not be responsible for loss/damage on non-domestic shipments. However, I will send a replacement for a fee that covers my expenses.

I probably should have just sent a replacement. but if a person starts threatening me and I have not seen pics of the damaged piece...as easy as it s to take a pic and send it these days, I am done...the deal is off.

If international is just a small portion of your business, then just stop those dealings, but if you do have a fair amount of international business, your disclaimer will go a long way to protecting yourself. You can also offer various mailing packages, from bubble mailers to a small box with bubble wrap. All shipping costs to be paid for by the buyer.

Joel

I always put a disclaimer in LARGE RED PRINT in the description:

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE, THEFT, OR OTHER LOSS.

Surprisingly enough about half my sales are overseas, mostly to Europe. I don't get much interest from Asia, however. I charge extra to make up the difference in postage. Both of my damaged items have been to European addresses. I have never had one lost in transit.

Edited by DutyCat

I always put a disclaimer in LARGE RED PRINT in the description:

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE, THEFT, OR OTHER LOSS.

Won't make any difference whatsoever - Ebay will always side with the buyer, not the seller.

Vince

I had an issue selling something here domestically. The guy complained, so I told him to send the item back, and I would refund his entire purchase, plus the additional postal fees. He hemms and hawws for about 2 weeks, and then decides to keep the item. I have been on ebay since 1998 and have 100% feedback still (on a score of only 710). Rather than piss that away, I am going to open a new ebay ID to sell from, and if I get negative feedback, meh....

As for sending overseas, I have never had a problem, yet.

There is no seller protection on Ebay, especially now that Paypal is pretty much the only mode of payment. You can go ahead and add any and all disclaimers you want, make them bold and in multicolor with flashing lights if you want...Ebay ALWAYS sides with the buyer! There is no such thing as "no returns" or "no refunds" with Payal...and therefore with Ebay. You can ship your items in a wooden crate with Brinks armed guards...if it doesn't arrive at the buyer in the shape shown in the picture or (more irritating) to the buyers "100% Satisfaction" as Paypal guarantees, then it's the sellers fault and you will have to issue a refund and accept a return regardless of your bold flashing light disclaimers. I quit selling on Ebay a long time ago after having been burned buy a few unscrupulous buyers and Ebays/Paypals policies. It's just not worth the hassle. And for some reason, it gets more irritating with international buyers.

I have actually started filming the unboxing of items I've bought online. Not that I have had many problems, but it's a way of making sure I've got some evidence if things aren't what they should be.

This is a pretty interesting notion. This might create a lot of work but I wonder if a seller could film the boxing of the item. That way it can be shown that when the item was packaged, it was in perfect order. Then if the recipient gripes, you can send him the picture(s) or the video of the item being boxed up in pristine condition. But, like I said, I know it would consume a bit of electronic memory space. Then you'd have to categorize it, etc. Lots of extra work but it might CYA.

Eric

There is no seller protection on Ebay, especially now that Paypal is pretty much the only mode of payment. You can go ahead and add any and all disclaimers you want, make them bold and in multicolor with flashing lights if you want...Ebay ALWAYS sides with the buyer! There is no such thing as "no returns" or "no refunds" with Payal...and therefore with Ebay. You can ship your items in a wooden crate with Brinks armed guards...if it doesn't arrive at the buyer in the shape shown in the picture or (more irritating) to the buyers "100% Satisfaction" as Paypal guarantees, then it's the sellers fault and you will have to issue a refund and accept a return regardless of your bold flashing light disclaimers. I quit selling on Ebay a long time ago after having been burned buy a few unscrupulous buyers and Ebays/Paypals policies. It's just not worth the hassle. And for some reason, it gets more irritating with international buyers.

Even though this is a bit of an exaggeration, it's an excellent metaphor that illustrates where Paypal/eBay stands and the end point is exactly the same: Buyers are the kings in Palpal/eBay eyes.

This thread is just another example that reconfirms that point.

IIRC; A rare, near-historical old violin had to be destroyed due to Paypal/eBay's buyer dispute policy. Something in the order of 'no-return' policy blah, blah, blah. Apparently the buyer didn't mind returning it after Paypal/eBay backed his whining/complaining but then Paypal/eBay stepped in and said basically, "Nope; You can't return it. It has to be destroyed."

Items shipped with insurance should be properly covered in the event of loss or damage. I recently have had ti deal with both.

1: Item I bought and never received even with tracking info.(item just went AWOL) eventually saw me getting all my money refunded with shipping costs and the seller was relieved to not have had to pay either.

2: Item I sold and shipped was received by the buyer broken. Afterwards we both exchanged info including being able to upload pictures through eBay for scrutiny (BTW I recommend taking picks of items sold and as you pack them up) we both determined that either Canada Post or US Post damaged the item. I as shipper put in the claim for a full refund of costs including shipping. I then refunded the buyer the sale including shipping once I was notified by Canada Post that my claim was being processed and I'd be given a cheque for full refund including shipping. It was all straight forward. Too bad a perfectly fine item that was very well packed was busted up in shipping but in the end the insurance worked.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

The problem is that Ebay won't back you.

I had a similar experience with a guy who bought a resin set from me (which was being sold for a friend of mine). The buyer claimed that it had been started and sanded through in some spots, missing others.

Per Ebay's own policy I said okay, send it back and I'll refund the money...the guy refused, even started hurling insults. He then opened a claim...I was screwed by Ebay even after providing copies of the messages sent back and forth illustrating the buyer's belligerence. I was told by an rep on the phone that I shouldn't worry since it shouldn't hurt my feedback that badly.

This thread would be better with a photo of the "space shuttle beany cap"......I'm actually quite curious what that would look like.

When I first read 'broke beany cap' I was a little perplexed.

I was thinking, "How can something that's made of cloth/fabric material break?!"

But this is what it is:

beanie-cap.001.jpg

The problem is that Ebay won't back you.

I had a similar experience with a guy who bought a resin set from me (which was being sold for a friend of mine). The buyer claimed that it had been started and sanded through in some spots, missing others.

Per Ebay's own policy I said okay, send it back and I'll refund the money...the guy refused, even started hurling insults. He then opened a claim...I was screwed by Ebay even after providing copies of the messages sent back and forth illustrating the buyer's belligerence. I was told by an rep on the phone that I shouldn't worry since it shouldn't hurt my feedback that badly.

So, did the buyer get to keep the product AND get a refund?!