VX-4 F-4J Phantoms - Standard Scheme

I'm glad Tom found some photos of 8350. I really like these markings from VX-4. Even more so than the Bunny schemes. I will definitely put this in the to build pile, along with a Skyray, Cutlass, and Crusader.

VX4F4J5570copy_zps4aeebda5.jpg

f4jvx4001copy_zpse1341ea4.jpg

Rick L.

On Aero Data USN/USMC F-4 Phantoms Pt. 2 they have a photo of 150435 (a very nice side shot and same one which is in another post above with the orange) and it is indeed blue. The orange thing on the wing tip is actually the fin tip of another F-4 parked behind 435. At this time, VX-4 was involved in the early experimentation with low vis color schemes as well as just having some fun with test paint schemes like Vandy 9 and Vandy 1. While I was told by an aircraft maintenance person that this F-4 was painted Air Superiority Blue, it could have been the squadron's own color or MacAir's color. Both the USAF and USN were interested in reducing visual sighting distances and both services shared information to those ends. Remember that NAS Pt Mugu, NAS China Lake and AFFTC Edwards AFB are not very far apart from each other, and they often worked together. Chuck Heatly once told me that an F-4 making a turn and exposing its white belly, that white could be seen for miles.

At one time I had started to build a collection of VX-4 aircraft. Like most of my hair-brained schemes, I never finished it. Here's the Monogram F-8 I did in addition to the F-4 from earlier.

vx4f8a.JPG

Edited by Darren Roberts

And here's a VX-4 Cutlass (1/72 Fujimi).

FujF7U-3web.jpg

Oooh, that's just pretty! Before I gave up on my project, I came up with these aircraft that carried the blue/red trim with stars.

-- F3H Demon

-- F7U Cutlass

-- FJ-4 Fury

-- F-8 Crusader

-- F-4 Phantom

-- F-14 Tomcat

-- TA-4J Skyhawk

-- S-2 Tracker

Any others I've missed?

The 1/48 HobbyCraft Cutlass has VX-4 markings, and I miss spoke about the Skyray. Furball's F3H Demon sheet has VX-4 markings on it. That's what I was thinking about. I don't know about the F4D and VX-4.

Rick L.

three more

T-33 (as a TV-2?)

A-4B and A4D-1

I thought I remembered one of the F-18s, but, all I can find today is the one with the tiny bunny on the tail, not the stars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So I figured I'd update this thread with the finished product. Thanks to everyone who responded.

As you know from this thread, I built this for a friend whose father was a Plane Captain of this aircraft when he was in the Navy. She wanted to give it to him as either a birthday present or Veteran's Day present, or even Christmas present (in case I didn't get it done in time).

The aircraft was finished just before Veteran's Day (yes, I know I'm a little late getting the update out there....) and the plane was given to my friend's father for Veteran's Day. I'm told he teared up a little when he received it and kept saying "That's my plane." over and over again. I'm glad he enjoyed it, I certainly enjoyed building it for him.

Model was the 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J Bicentennial Phantom with decals coming from the kit, spares, and the squadron specific ones being made by me by drawing on Inkscape and printing on MicroScale clear and white decal paper. The tail letters were painted using Steel Beach USN letter stencils. I had to overcome a disaster due to what I can only believe was an incompatibility in paint between the primer and the gloss white on the bottom, because approximately two minutes after application of the first coat of gloss white, the paint started cracking all over the bottom. I had to strip everything and start over again. Despite the setback, overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I hope you enjoy it as well.

IMG_4738_zpsfe3e2f0e.jpg

IMG_4746_zps9d0c1e63.jpg

IMG_4743_zps79de6895.jpg

:cheers:/>

Justin

• 1 month later...

That is a wonderful model and nice to hear Mr. Noth enjoyed the model. Nice background story going with it. Congrats to that!

BTW does anybody have an idea how the Bunny made it onto the Evaluator's tails, i.e. replaced the Vanguards Viking head as a logo?

I always heard the rumor, that it was adopted after Heffners DC-9 was sold and stripped and a landing / visit of Heffner in Oxnard. Someone told me about a personal account of the pilot who flew the DC-9 in one of the '69 Playboy issues telling the story.

I always considered that somewhat mysterious. Obviously the bunny head was rather popular at one time. There was one on a SR-71 and also the Blayboys had the rabbit as a logo before they went on becoming the Widowmakers and eventually the Deathjesters, right?

Does anyone know if there is something behind it or can shed some light into the actual background of the bunny logo adopted by VX-4?

Edited by bushande