XF-89 Scorpion Prototype

Hmmmmmmm.....

According to a photo caption in Detail & Scale....

"The black XF-89 was the first Scorpion to fly, and ironically it played the part of a Soviet fighter in Howard Hughes' movie Jet Pilot starring John Wayne and Janet Leigh"

So, if anyone has a photo........ :whistle:/>/>/>/>

Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtH6Q0Cd-W0

from about 1:35:00

Edited by LanceB

Thanks for finding it LanceB :thumbsup:

Some great cloe-up shots of the intake/engine nacelle on the XF-89 - but limited views of the whole thing.

It has the tip tanks fitted - but no red stars that I can see - pity :crying2:

There are better shots of the silver F-89A(?) - showing the mass balances on the elevator and a view of the cockpit.

I think I'll stick to the red USAF markings that Tony very kindly posted - if I can print them on my inkjet without them being too translucent (I might try and print a few copies and overlay).

Cheers all

Ken

Some more progress........

Circular section sprue to make the fin/tailplane bullet fairing.....

Scorpion_041.jpg

Main parts assembled......

Scorpion_042.jpg

Scorpion_043.jpg

I still need to add some more 'instruments' behind the pilot's seat - only a couple of photos to work from, so its mostly just made up :rolleyes:/>

Underside view....

Scorpion_044.jpg

I have altered the pilot's bang seat to make it look a bit like the one fitted to the XF-89.....

Scorpion_045.jpg

Finally, the new canopy is carved - ready for crash/plug/plunge moulding....

Scorpion_046.jpg

Ken

Thanks to the Aerofax book on the F-89, I discovered that the XF-89 (and early models) did not have nosewheel steering, so I removed the mechanism and added a landing light.....

Scorpion_048.jpg

Early Scorpions also only had 3 brake discs - so one was removed from the kit moulding....

Scorpion_049.jpg

Another small detail - a lot of F-89's had a spoked nosewheel - and as I couldn't find a suitable replacement in my spares box, I had to modify the kit item....

Scorpion_050.jpg

The model now has its final coat of primer.....

Scorpion_051.jpg

The instruments behind the pilots seat - all scratched from a couple of indistinct photos and lots of artistic licence....

Scorpion_052.jpg

The homemade canopy tempoarily in place - I'm quite chuffed with it....

Scorpion_053.jpg

Ken

T

The homemade canopy tempoarily in place - I'm quite chuffed with it....

Scorpion_053.jpg

Ken

Looks quite good - just curious, did you try the Matchbox Meteor NF.14 canopy, and if so what did you think? I will guess it didn't work if you did try it, otherwise you wouldn't have scratched one!

Looks quite good - just curious, did you try the Matchbox Meteor NF.14 canopy, and if so what did you think? I will guess it didn't work if you did try it, otherwise you wouldn't have scratched one!

I didn't find an NF-14 canopy to compare - but I suspect that it would be too small overall for the Scorpion.

Plus - my carving and moulding turned out so well, I didn't need it anyway.

Ken

Thanks to Ken, I discovered the Scorpion. It was one of those (didn't follow USAF that closely) that I just didn't know well. Now, I have bought 2 kits and 2 books on it!

Beware the Dark Side of the Force young Skywalker....... :woot.gif:

I used to be a Flanker man until I discovered Scorpions

Ken

Beware the Dark Side of the Force young Skywalker....... :woot.gif:/>/>

I used to be a Flanker man until I discovered Scorpions

Ken

So, are you going to be a Scorpion man now, Ken?

Nice and straight conversion, friend. Keep up those updates.

RGDS

Juan

Just when you thought you had the Scorpion covered........ another one arrives.... :woot.gif:/>

This is the Textron AirLand Scorpion arriving at the RIAT Fairford show (where I have been for the past few days).....

New_Scorpion_001.jpg

.... and in the static park...

New_Scorpion_002.jpg

New_Scorpion_003.jpg

New_Scorpion_004.jpg

In the meantime, back to the REAL Scorpion......

The canopy is attached - and masked.....

Scorpion_054.jpg

..... and it's looking very sinister in its first coat of gloss black.....

Scorpion_055.jpg

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

The yellow and red stencilling decals are from the spares box - and are quite thick - but there are lots of them, so plenty of spares.

I just applied them over a gloss black finish - where they silvered.

I have managed to remove them - and will have another go after a coat of Future/Kleer and the use of some Micro-Sol.

I hope that will cure the problem - watch this space !!

Ken

Ken,

For decal issues like you're having, you need a really glossy/smooth surface. I polish the Pledge with a 8,000 & 12,000 Micro Mesh pads. I apply the decals using the Micro system as per their recommended procedures

I wouldn't seal the decals till there isn't any silvering issues.Decals that don't adhere well, can be soaked in Pledge prior to applying to the model. That almost always works. .

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 4 weeks later...