Gunze question- thinning to a similar to enamel effect

Hi there

I have read this post: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=37878&st=0&p=296294&hl=gunze%20question&fromsearch=1entry296294 but not found the answer that I am after.

I am trying to get into acrylics (I like the Gunze ones over Tamiya... they seem to work/flow better) but I am trying to replicate enamel effects.

I have some 99%Iso Alcohol which does dilute it a bit/thins it out.. but doesn't quite seem to do as I want BUT! also speeds up the drying time by a big factor (for 1/144 scale I obviously don't use a heck of a lot of paint at a time. :)/>/>/> ) And with the evaporation of the alcohomololol it is nigh on impossible to have a small pool of it to just dab from time-to-time.

I paint with a brush and my scale is 99% of the time in 1/144. I tried doing something similar for 1/72 scale with Gunze.. but once again a no-go.

This is the sort of effect I am trying to do with acrylic doral.jpg - mottle or an ability to colour merge/fade and still have the other colour show from beneath.

To me (so far) the gunze (or tamiya) seems to operate on a binary setup. Cover/no cover.

Hilf kameraden!

PS= the image that you see on screen is nearly 2x size of the actual models. :)/>/>

Edited by Wege

First off, you're clearly quite skilled in the art of the airbrush! :worship: I'm not. Not even close.

My experience with acrylic is like yours--covered or not. :bandhead2: That's why I switched back to enamel after trying several over several models and brands. But, I do Really Like brushing Vallejo.

Hmm... on or not... blast..

And thank you sir for the kind words but that is not airbrush.. it is umm.. I think that brush was a #1 Tamiya flat (or whatever the narrow one is in the pack of 3)

And while replying to your post - "translucency"!... that is the word I am after... I am trying to get the translucency with acrylic paint as I can with enamel.

Mixing acrylic paint with a bit of acrylic medium or similar turns it into a 'glaze' which is exactly the effect you're looking for. It definitely works with water based acrylics like Citadel or Vallejo & I assume would work with tamiya/ gunze but they do have a different makeup. Experimentation is your friend.

These threads are mainly aimed art paintings but may help

http://www.art-is-fun.com/acrylic-glazes.html

http://painting.about.com/od/acrylicpainting/a/glazing_tips_BR.htm

btw, those FWs are beautiful!!

Edited by billb

I had a feeling that I would have to go the artist acrylic flow extender/retarder route.

And thank you for the comments... I will try to weather the next lot of Fw190s a bit more... that 'lived in' look :)

marvelous suggestion Mike.

I have just mixed some Mr Hobby 302 Green with Mr Hobby 30 Flat Clear and it was quite good for translucency. Now the tough part is trying to do the mottles - the paint wanted to stick to itself (the polymer was playing up). I may have to get some bonafide Thinner to thin it out too.. (rather than tap water.. which in Perth sucks.... drinkable but lots of other things in there... quite heavy)

marvelous suggestion Mike.

I have just mixed some Mr Hobby 302 Green with Mr Hobby 30 Flat Clear and it was quite good for translucency. Now the tough part is trying to do the mottles - the paint wanted to stick to itself (the polymer was playing up). I may have to get some bonafide Thinner to thin it out too.. (rather than tap water.. which in Perth sucks.... drinkable but lots of other things in there... quite heavy)

As far as thinning goes... Why not try using Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner? It's 100% compatible with Gunze Aqueous. For me, a 250ml bottle of this thing lasts at least a year (I build 1/72). Or if you want a cheaper alternative, you can try mixing methylated spirit with Windex (the Windex should slow down the drying time).