First tank in 35yrs

My wife got me this from the Somme Museum in France, she thought I might like a change of scenery from aircraft. I have not made a tank since I was 15 (a Tamiya 1/35 Matilda) and was not really sure I would be into tanks. Did a bit of research on other builds of this kit (there are a few quirks) and got stuck into it today. I'm loving it! You can build these things really fast and this one is soooooo easy compared to an aircraft.

My new modelling room - the deck on our new house. Yes, we have some landscaping to do, to hide that ugly colourbond fence.....one day when the budget recovers

Deck_zpsa4949ef7.jpg

The box

Box_zps3eb62faf.jpg

I totally screwed it up, gluing the inner sponsons in the wrong spot, thought the outer sponons were a bit flimsy so glued in some bits of sprue for support, then got further into the assembly & could not work out why I has these huge gaps at the front :doh:

Wrong_zps8b591cea.jpg

Just in time, I figured out my mistake - luckily the glue was not hard & I could rip it all apart with no damage

Right_zpsb83e2acb.jpg

Got nearly all the main assembly done in one day :woo:Apparently that box on the back with the slots for the exhaust was molded upside down in the kit, so I just glued it on the other way up.

Build1_zpsa28147a1.jpg

Build4_zps06e23890.jpg

I'm going to experiment with freehand airbrushing camo on this one, see if I can re-discover my lost skills with the Aztec....by using paint retarder :whistle:

Edited by Thommo

Pre-shaded. Been playing with the Aztec. I think the fine tan nozzles are stuffed because the only thing I can get some fine control with is the medium black nozzle.

Preshade_zps1647abab.jpg

Making fast progress. Airbrushed main colour as RLM Grey, then mixed up a bit of RLM with Olive Drab and randomly sprayed a few areas. Used a good link here on ARC to paint the tracks - a base coat of flat black, then a coat of 90% metallic grey 10% flat black, then some ground red brown pastel in water and detergent, brush thin with tap water, then some ground up kids chalk (yellow, browny pink) in water and detergent (overdid that), so went over again with the red/brown pastel wash. Then I dry-brushed with light ghost grey (that bit was not in the instructions).

Tracks were glued on progressively with superglue starting at the top. Let that dry a few hours before going around the sharp bends. There was a gap of about 1-2mm between the ends of the tracks which I filled with a piece of sprue cut/sanded to size.

Next I'll gloss coat just the small areas where the few decals will go, apply decals, then practice a little more dirt/fading/rust stains with the airbrush (could end in tears) :o

Also been experimenting with manual white balance and ISO settings on the little digital camera.

Tracks2_zps396e3d7a.jpg

Tracks3_zps8bc72d8e.jpg

Tracks1_zpseafe7928.jpg

Complete. Decals silvered a bit. Ran out of Pollyscale flat clear, only thing the LHS had was Vallejo Flat Varnish which I thinned about 50/50 with windex to airbrush and it worked fine. Now to finish that desert kittyhawk diorama that's been half done for a year.

Final1_zps5129febc.jpg

Final6_zps158fcd28.jpg

Final3_zps4e01ce12.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...