Flying Tiger Pole Cat

707Pole-Cat16x24Print800_zpsd1566664.jpg

In 1965, two TWA pilots and Polar Flight Commanders Fred Austin and Harrison Finch piloted a Boeing 707B on a historic flight to circumnavigate the globe via both poles. Dubbed The “Pole Cat”, the airplane was provided by the Flying Tiger Line. It was fitted with two 2000 gallon fuel tanks because of the great distances that had to be flown over water and polar ice. The flight lasted from: 11/14/65 to 11/17/65 and originated and ended in Honolulu, HI. The flying time was 57H, 27M covering 26,230 miles distance. During the course of the flight, the “Pole Cat” set eight long distance and speed records.

Let me retract that, IIRC the bird I was on was a Convair 880...the airframe however is basically the same wings, fuselage, and empennage; making the markings easily duplicated on both aircraft. Now that I think back It's foggy after 43 years I'm thinking it was the very kind that took me into and out of 'nam, although either of those in or out could have been a 707; I had other things on my mind that made the kind of Freedom bird not as important.

Edited by #1 Greywolf
  • 3 months later...