I'm stunned ... thanx for the news Tracy ... I recall he's in Florida, can you tell me which city? I'd like to leave my condolences.

When I saw the SHUTTLE WARS thread, i thought he was working on another instalment ... damn ... 

Pete

Gil and I served in the Navy together as S-3 Viking Sensor Operators and Flight Instructors here in Jacksonville, Fl.... We were good friends for 30 years. We retired just a few months apart back in 2002. He and I both wrapped up our pilot flight training around the same time and were both hired by American Eagle in early 2008. He declined and went to Air Wisconsin expecting a quicker upgrade time. Turns out he left there and decided to become a school teacher to stay closer to his two sons. He ran his own Aviation Program at a specialized High School for almost 10 years up to his death.

Gil recently picked up Motocross dirt biking again. It really excited him to be back on the track, particularly since it was with a group that road vintage dirt bikes from the 70's with guys his own age and older. This passed Sunday he was at a track near Gainesville where they were doing a warm-up run. His bike suddenly started slowing down, then Gil fell off backwards. He had suffered a massive aneurysm and was gone before he hit the ground. Tragic for friends and family, but even though I'm gonna miss him, he went out with a smile on his face. One second he was hitting the track, the next he was gone.

The family waited for his youngest son to fly in from the West Coast before they removed him from life support this passed Wednesday.

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

Gil’s wife has intercepted emails on the DutyCat account from folks requesting the beanie cap be reissued. She offered the molds to me, but I just don’t want them, or have any interest in casting new ones. I suggested that I could ask around some Garage guys to see if they would like to buy the master, instructions, and current molds, and continue to produce new castings under the DutyCat trade mark Gil established.

lets see what happens.

Tracy

Sad news...but at least he went quickly and while doing a thing he loved.

I would for sure like such a beanie cap for my shuttle but would not be able to work with a mold...so if someone steps up to it, here is a customer waiting.

thanks

Uwe