WW II Japanese decals

Hi Everyone:

I am in need of 1/48 scale Hinomaru decals, the larger ones WITHOUT the white border, that were used on WW II Japanese aircraft. I only need six (to complete one aircraft). Will be happy to pay for them and for postage. If you can help, let me know.

Thanks and happy modeling!!

Barry

Have you considered masking and painting them? I've started doing that with Japanese insignia..It's actually a lot less hassle than decals and yields much better results. Getting the white borders aligned can be tricky, but that wouldn't be an issue in your case.

SN

Hey SN:

Yea, I did consider painting them on, which I did with the tail stripe. Could not figure out the best way to mask them so I went with the decal idea. What have you found that works best for masking....keeping in mind I already have the base IJN Grey applied?

If you're trying to do this on the cheap, here's an old technique that worked good for me 40 years ago: (1) Get a piece of wax paper somewhat larger than the insignia you want to paint. (2) Cover the wax paper with overlapping strips of your favorite masking tape. (3) Cut a circle of the desired diameter out of the tape. I used an X-Acto knife chucked into a cheap drafting compass, but today there are purpose-built tools for the job if you prefer. (4) Peel the mask you just made off the wax paper and burnish it down on your model. You're now ready to paint.

I just use Tamiya tape, cut with an Xacto and a circle template. I did this Ki-27 a couple of years ago (the Hinomarus are painted right over the base gray.) In fact, just for fun I decided not to use ANY decals. The stripes were masked and airbushed, and tail emblems hand-painted.

SN

Ki-2701.jpg

Ki-2702.jpg

I did the same as SN. I made one mask and used it repeatedly. Tamiya tape and hold the waxy paper.

Two things that MUST be done:

1 - burnish-down the tape VERY well, and

2 - paint using brush-strokes (or move the spray-paint stream) from tape to model, but DON'T go past the centre of the circle.

Good luck with your hunt for decals or your first attempt at painting markings.

George, out.............