Check Out This Carrier Landing

Sorry if it has already been posted, but I was blown away by this...

Edit: Check out the first shot of the Harrier. Is that nosewheel tire inflation normal? Sure doesn't look like the 350psi required for CV ops.

Edited by Micro

Impressive stuff! Kinda reminds me of the experiments the Royal Navy did in the 1950s with rubber flight decks to eliminate the need for undercarriage in the first place! Needless to say nothing came of it! Maybe something to do with how do you get the aircraft back to the mainland? Can't rubberise a whole runway, can you!

After watching the video again I noticed something. Take a look at the Harrier's nose wheel during the very first shot as it is turning. That looks awfully under-inflated to me. It that normal for the VSTOL guys?

That's pretty awesome. I'm amazed they had this stool present for this specific situation. Impressive foresight.

---

I bet it was one of those funny little ideas one of the mechanics had on the spur of the moment! Is that what you really call blue sky thinking?

Not sure. I pasted the new link right over the original and the preview came up. Of course, if you want the link, just click the "Youtube" button on the preview window. It'll take you to Youtube where you can copy the link.

After watching the video again I noticed something. Take a look at the Harrier's nose wheel during the very first shot as it is turning. That looks awfully under-inflated to me. It that normal for the VSTOL guys?

Completely normal, as I mentioned in the A-4 thread.

Also, at Cherry Point a TAV-8B crew landed on a pile of mattresses when their gear failed. One of my books has pictures of the sequence.

Not sure. I pasted the new link right over the original and the preview came up. Of course, if you want the link, just click the "Youtube" button on the preview window. It'll take you to Youtube where you can copy the link.

hmmm, I can't see the link here anywhere. No matter cos I've seen it now anyway.

When I worked on Harriers one of the RAF exchange pilots had an identical situation to the video, where his nose gear failed to extend (actually happened a couple of times while I was in, most times putting some Gs on the gear snapped it into place). He declined to attempt to blow the gear down, as that was a one-way option, and instead retracted the rest of his gear and hovered it in on the strakes. As I was at I-level at the time, I took part in the inspection and repair of the strakes. We got them in fully expecting we'd be writing them off for delaminations or structural cracks, but there was none of that. Full NDI inspections returned nothing - they were just badly scuffed on the bottoms. We smeared resin on, sanded them out, repainted them and returned them to the unit. Helluva soft landing he pulled off.

Edited by LanceB