What used Russian aircraft did Iraq just buy?

The "califate" fighters are hard-core Sunni; it's a muslim internal religious war (think Reformation vs Catholic in European history).

Which is exactly why external military intervention is a waste of time.

There are different reports regarding Iraqi Su-25 pilots. One user on mp.net claims they have managed to scrape together 37 ex Su-25 pilots and some pilots are already undergoing training in Russia. Some pictures and history of the two of the aircrafts here.

I wish the news media would stop referring to the SU-25s as fighter jets!

Kinda reminds me of the news report about Somalia in the '90s where the reporter said there was an airstrike by Cobra gunships when the news footage clearly showed Mangustas! Not only did it show how ignorant he was but also gave the wrong impression that it was an American only operation!

Edited by Tsubame

I wish the news media would stop referring to the SU-25s as fighter jets!

Kinda reminds me of the news report about Somalia in the '90s where the reporter said there was an airstrike by Cobra gunships when the news footage clearly showed Mangustas! Not only did it show how ignorant he was but also gave the wrong impression that it was an American only operation!

You do know that reporters are not paid to be aviation experts, don't you?

Vince

You do know that reporters are not paid to be aviation experts, don't you?

Vince

Yeah, but they are paid to be knowledgeable of the situation and not make assumptions. If he had just said attack helicopters that would have been different.

Good aircraft for the mission at hand, certainly better than F-16's.

Surprised to have read that the entire Iraqi AF COIN force (aside from helos) consisted of a couple of Cessna Caravans. Maybe we can pawn off our A-10 fleet to them?

Oh please no!

Yeah, but they are paid to be knowledgeable of the situation and not make assumptions.

No, they are paid to appeal to the viewing audience and boost ratings. Period.

Occasionally the stations pay outside experts to comment on a specific story.

No, they are paid to appeal to the viewing audience and boost ratings. Period.

Occasionally the stations pay outside experts to comment on a specific story.

Tries not to snigger at the use of the word period! Never been able to get used to that to mean the end of a sentence and I mean that! Full stop!

What?!? But...but but...I saw in Independence Day, Quaid hadn't flown a jet since "F-4's back in 'Nam" and he jumped into an F-18 and took to it like riding a bike. Surely it's like that isn't it? :woot.gif:/>

Bill

And don't forget, in "Battlefield Earth" a bunch of illiterate aborigines managed to become expert Harrier pilots (and ground crew) with just a few days of simulator time, and defeated their alien overlords flying aircraft that had somehow been perfectly preserved in a bunker for a millennium.

SN

And don't forget, in "Battlefield Earth" a bunch of illiterate aborigines managed to become expert Harrier pilots (and ground crew) with just a few days of simulator time, and defeated their alien overlords flying aircraft that had somehow been perfectly preserved in a bunker for a millennium.

SN

I must, must, must resist the temptation to mention 'IRON EAGLE'! Damn, I just couldn't help myself!

The only problem is the Iron Eagle training regimen requires the pilots to wear Sony Walkmen playing Queen on cassette tape. I think that technology is even older and harder to find than the Su-25!

SN

Oh, okay. That's fine. But the F-16IQ isn't gray and black, it's just a two tone gray.

Lol I need to get a new monitor at work, I looked black to me!