Colin,

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it.

Not much else new since my last post. I have sprayed the wheel wells, landing gear and insides of the gear doors with two light coats of Model Master light grey (FS36495) enamel. Unfortunately, that's it for the next 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. Her Nibs and I are leaving for our European river cruise tomorrow afternoon.

See ya!

Mike

Bon voyage!

I'm sure you'll do your level best to ensure that Europe does not drown in excess quantities of beer and wine... enjoy!

Have a great trip, and come back recharged. A European river cruise is on my bucket list, you lucky dog.

ALF

Bon voyage!

I'm sure you'll do your level best to ensure that Europe does not drown in excess quantities of beer and wine... enjoy!

Have a great trip, and come back recharged. A European river cruise is on my bucket list, you lucky dog.

ALF

Thanks buddy.

With most on board beers, wines and spirits served on the ship included in the price of the cruise, I will do my best to sample as many as I can. Tough job but someone has to do it.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Have fun eh!!

We certainly did. What a great time we had. Unbelievable accommodations, scenery, meals, day excursions, etc. If you want to take a European river cruise, Scenic River Tours aboard the Scenic Jewel is THE way to go. I have nothing bad to say about our vacation with them.

Now that I'm back, albeit somewhat hesitantly, my internal clock is slowly readjusting to where it should be. I have made a small bit of progress since getting home. After three weeks drying, I was confident that the grey primer on the gear legs, other assorted parts, gear door interiors and in the landing bays was ready to receive a top coat of gloss white. So that's what I did last night. Two coats of MM Gloss Insignia White through the airbrush at about 10 - 12 psi. The first coat was light while the second was a bit heavier. The results are pretty good.

MainBaywithFlash_zps2f59db56.jpg

NoseBaywithFlash_zps918c60fa.jpg

These next shots are a tad blurry as I took the photos sans flash.

GearDoors-NoFlash_zps52d0d6eb.jpg

GearHubs-NoFlash_zpsd3b10bce.jpg

Gear-NoFlash3_zpsa03c1e1b.jpg

Gear-NoFlash2_zps7b767689.jpg

I don't plan to weather the gear or bays since this was a demo aircraft and they were kept pretty clean. Some of the reference photos I have corroborate this decision.

That's it for now. Not sure what I'll do next because I have to go back to the instruction sheet as a guide. After three weeks, I can't remember what I've done and need to do. Now that's getting your mind away from everything while on vacation!

Thanks for checking in and as usual constructive criticism and comments are always welcome.

Mike

Welcome back, my friend!

Looking forward to learning more details about your cruise. That's on my bucket list. But what's this about losing track of where you are in your build process? Priorities, my man! I come up with my best ideas for what to do next as I float in my chair in the pool after a long bike ride... :woot.gif:

But maybe on the scale of weeks it might do that too. Haven't been away from my bench long enough to say for sure.

I totally support your doing this with very clean gear, etc. Demo aircraft are usually that way.

Looking good. Strange how my big hornet is about at exactly the same stage yours is. On your mark, get set... :touche:

ALF

Hee Hee!

En garde, monsieur! :touche:

Thanks for checking in, ALF.

I glued the canopy on this morning and also attached a few other little bits. I have also removed the Krystal Klear I used for the ID light as it was starting to cloud. I managed to sand the kit supplied clear piece for the light cover to size and I've glued it in place. It looks much better than the hodge-podge solution I came up with. There is still some minor painting and assembly (exhaust area) to be done before full scale painting can begin. I hope to be able to get some of that done this weekend but time is tight thanks to my social planner. Going to the Sens / Habs pre-season game tonight and then have other plans for the rest of the weekend.

I'll post more photos when more progress is made.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Last statement was a half truth. More progress has been made but no photos.

I just sprayed the second coat of Model Master Gloss Coat. All the painting has been done. Model Master enamels for all surfaces except the gun ports (Alclad Steel), the exhaust nozzles (Model Master Burnt Metal Buffing Metalizer) and the silver around the area behind the exhaust nozzles (decanted Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver). I hope to spray a third coat within a couple of hours before going to my mother-in-law's place for a big turkey dinner with all the fixing's. I promise to post a photo or two when the clear has been applied and before I start the decal process.

Mike

Gear door interiors edged with MM Guards Red enamel

GearDoors_zpsfb78a589.jpg

Top and bottom or horizontal stabs

StabTop_zpsaf05685a.jpg

StabBottom_zps541cfc6a.jpg

Nose top and bottom

NoseTopFront_zps9628a2c7.jpg

NoseBottom_zpsc603b91f.jpg

Fuselage top and bottom

FuselageTopRear_zps11ae5349.jpg

FuselageBottom_zps485398a6.jpg

FuselageDemarcation_zpsfff16a0f.jpg

Three coats of Model Master Gloss Coat are on and will dry for a few days before I start adding decals. So far, the painting has turned out fairly well. Hopefully the liquid mask applied over the masking tape on the canopy and windscreen have kept colour and gloss coats off the clear parts. I'll let you know in a few days.

As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

A question if I might....

Do you use MM Gloss straight from the bottle? or thin it somehow? I have tried it straight, and ended up with an orange peel like finish, not the nice smooth gloss you have. Just wondering what I can do to get similar results?

My own Hornet is at this stage -- ready for gloss. So before I go ahead some tips would be welcome.

Thanks.

Colin...see what happens when you say, "Instructions, shminstructions!" Thanks for pointing out my oversight. I just masked and sprayed the 36118 moments ago. Hats off, brother.

Kevin...I dilute it 1:1 with Model Master Custom Enamel System Lacquer Thinner as seen here in the bottom left, #2018:

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/primers-top-coats-thinners-cleaners/lacquer-primers

Good luck finishing your build.

Mike

Looking nice, Mike.

While I have been delinquent in posting in my thread, I'd say we're pretty much neck and neck on progress! I have an exam or two to create and send for printing, but after that I promise to post progress.

Are you planning to use decals for the false canopy?

ALF

Looking nice, Mike.

While I have been delinquent in posting in my thread, I'd say we're pretty much neck and neck on progress! I have an exam or two to create and send for printing, but after that I promise to post progress.

Are you planning to use decals for the false canopy?

ALF

Hiya buddy. Was wondering why I hadn't heard from you in a while. Formatting exams and all the other assorted duties you have to undertake can certainly put a dent in your time. I hope you're well and that you and the family had a great 'turkey day' this weekend past. I'm going to give the decals for the false canopy a shot. If they work, great. If not, I can create a mask with the 3M tape (as you did) and spray 36118 to my heart's content. For this aspect of the decaling process, I'm sticking to the tag line under my avatar! I'll let you know how it works out. If you see an empty glass of red...or scotch on the rocks...or rum and coke...in the next photos, you'll have a pretty good idea of what happened. Look forward to more photos of your progress chum. :thumbsup:

Look good mate!

I've only a doubt:I've noted that you painted the landing gear doors directely on the trees,well when cutted away don't exist a risk to ruin the painting job?

Gianni

Gianni,

I always paint my gear doors this way. I go back with a very fine brush and touch up the spots where I cut the doors from the sprue tree. Not a lot of work, really.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.

Mike

Don't worry, Mike... I'm still lurking. Like I said, a bit busy, is all. Glad to see you're back at 'er. If I spend too much time chatting, I will never arrive at the finish line when you do!

I'll drop you a line soon and catch you up on the latest gossip.

ALF

Colin...see what happens when you say, "Instructions, shminstructions!" Thanks for pointing out my oversight. I just masked and sprayed the 36118 moments ago. Hats off, brother.

Mike

No worries, Mike! I didn't want you to get to the decal stage and have that decal disappear in the medium grey......lol. I realized I have about half a dozen older demo jets still to build.....gotta get on it!

Colin,

Having added the decals to the inside of the vertical stab, I see what you mean. They would have been invisible had I not painted with 36118.

I have added the decals but I have no photos. The decals for the outside of the vertical stabs are great in detail. Too bad they're as thick as a couple of pieces of paper. Even with four applications of Solvaset, they still will not conform completely over the humps, bumps and lumps. I'll wait for a few days for the Solvaset to completely cure and set before I do anything else. The ship, roundel and blue waves on either side of the nose are a single decal. They actually went on pretty easily.

The decals look pretty good and I'll see how they turn out after a couple of sealing coats. There are still a few fiddly bits to attach. I am also quite surprised at how miniscule the attachment points for the landing gear doors to the fuselage are. Hopefully they stay in place. Time will tell.

I'll post more photos when more progress is made.

Mike

Mike....did you use warm water when applying the decals? I have found that warm water, along with Mr Mark Softer, works really well on getting the decals for the tail art to suck down around detail.

Mike....did you use warm water when applying the decals? I have found that warm water, along with Mr Mark Softer, works really well on getting the decals for the tail art to suck down around detail.

Colin,

I certainly did. I DID read that part of the instructions. I use very warm water that I keep warm on a 'Salton' cup warmer. It works great for keeping the water in your decal bowl quite warm. Unfortunately, for a setting agent, all I have is Solvaset. I guess I will have to go out and acquire some Mr. Mark Softer. The decals eventually settled down relatively well but there is some wrinkling in a couple of spots. I have Dave's 409 Sqn 'Nightmare' set for another project down the road. That will give me a chance to really follow ALL the directions. All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Will it win any shows? Nope, but I don't care. It looks a lot like the real thing so that's all that matters to me.

Thank you for your support and assistance. I really appreciate it. Most of all, thanks for moderating this GB. Great work! :thumbsup:

Mike

There are more photos in the Completed Build thread.

I took ALF's suggestion and masked and painted the false canopy. I thought it better to simply mask and paint than try to decal, get frustrated, swear a bit and ultimately remove the decals and than mask and paint. Work smarter, not harder. Thanks ALF!

Done-Bottom_zpsf9ba7dea.jpg

The single piece roundel, ship and wave decals were quite delicate but with a bit of patience they went on very well. They look really nice.

Done-FuselageMarkings_zps5b2c3ec3.jpg

Despite the issues I had getting the outer tail decals to settle down, they look pretty good.

Done-OuterTail_zps33df4bda.jpg

The inner tail silhouette of the Alouette was quite thin and it took a bit of finesse to get into place but it looks good. Thanks again to Colin for pointing out my painting oversight. :thumbsup: This decal never would have been seen if i didn't repaint with 36118.

Done-InnerTail_zps49c3e620.jpg

Finally a side profile. In the end, it looks like the demo aircraft I set out to finish so all is good.

Done-LeftSide1_zps07c061b5.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. As always, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome. To those who offer support and guidance during this build, thank very much. I really appreciate it.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Very nice, Mike! Like the drooped flaps a lot!

(Not wanting to spoil the party and your effort in painting on the false canopy, though it looks like you applied the mask for it in opposite direction, the short section should be facing forward?)

Anyway, love the colors on this pretty CF-18!

(Not wanting to spoil the party and your effort in painting on the false canopy, though it looks like you applied the mask for it in opposite direction, the short section should be facing forward?)

RedIndian,

I realized that after I had all the decals on. :bandhead2: There were a few curse words muttered but such is life. In today's day and age, have much more important things to worry about. I won't make the same boo-boo on my next CF-18 build.

Thanks for stopping in.

Mike

Very nice, Mike! Like the drooped flaps a lot!

Anyway, love the colors on this pretty CF-18!

Rafael - very sharp eye you have. When I went back and checked the photos, I had one of those "oh f**k" moments...

RedIndian,

I realized that after I had all the decals on. :bandhead2:/> There were a few curse words muttered but such is life. In today's day and age, have much more important things to worry about. I won't make the same boo-boo on my next CF-18 build.

Thanks for stopping in.

Mike

Mike

Looks fantastic. It's all about learning, isn't it? You, my friend, are a great philosopher... only the kind of philosopher that doesn't just teach airy-fairy concepts in a classroom about hypothetical situations! Glad to see you're applying the zen approach. I too have muffed up those kinds of things; that's why we call it a hobby, and don't let it destroy our good humour.

ALF