NOTAM: for those interested in the new tooled TORNADO by Revell

Spike, I just come back from the beach where I spent my morning talking to a Tornado pilot and he told me exaxhly what you wrote! Not only the kit is correct but you can also keep that joint line since it is there on the real one, just barely visible on glossy black!

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Spike, I just come back from the beach where I spent my morning talking to a Tornado pilot and he told me exaxhly what you wrote! Not only the kit is correct but you can also keep that joint line since it there on the real one, just barely visible on glossy black!

No problem Paolo,...Although being an Armourer,we didn't have cause to open these panels much,we left that the the ancillary trades... :monkeydance:

• 2 months later...

A couple of days ago I received the Missionmarks decals so yesterday I was able to finsh this nice kit, my only regret is the canopy doesn't close that well but all in all this kit is truly axcellent and at nice price!

f41j5f.jpg

j8guh3.jpg

now I really hope ECR and ADV variants will be produced soon

23kd661.jpg

20kszew.jpg

Paolo,

Both windshield and canopy look squashed to me.

What do you think?

11kcaab.png

it fits the photo of the real beast so I think it is correct, only the refuelling pod is a bit too small in the kit. I peobably squashed some of my pics while reducing them in dimension sorry, even the canopy that seem not to close perfectly looks like the real one

24qtyxc.jpg

in the Revell kit I suggest to change only the Sidewinders, the pitot and the tyres, more weapons would also be nice to have, I took the Storm Shadow from the Eurofighter kit.

One thing I'm noticing on these Revell builds (but haven't got that far myself yet) is that the upper curve of the intake topside is built in to the intake sides,

but when mated to the fuselage it's getting forced upwards.

That distorts the shape to something like the early prototype stepped style, which is completely wrong.

This is for Paolo, again.

First of all let me congratulate for your great build. Yours is one of the best looking Tornado I have ever seen in this scale.

And then, I really would like to know your opinion regarding the topside of the intakes.

Finally, would you let me know what kind of aftermarket you believe should be released for this kit?

Best,

Well, the ai intakes are quite tricky tu put together, there are so many pieces and fitting is marginal here and there, I didn't follow the instruction but managed to dome them. For shape and accuracy intakes are good enought for my Mrk.I eyesight :rolleyes:

About aftermarket I would buy:

1- pitot, Master one is easy to fit even if not made for the Revell kit but smaller aerial woul not fit since holes in the fuselage are too large.

2- resin cokpit or PE side consolles, those in the kit are not well detailed and decals doesn't fit well on the side conselles.

3- metal landing gear with compressed front oleo to be used with trust reverse and stroner struts for the main gear doors (managed to broke both! :bandhead2: )

4- a PE set to detail the underfuselage pilons or a resin set with detailed pilons

5- a resin Thompson pod

6- some good weapons in resin like JDAM or GBU-24

7- new AIM-9L it is impossible to use those in the box

8- resin tyres by Eduar, I would like to buy but are too expensive for my pockets

9- resin seats complete with haerness and air conditioning tubing around the top

10- a new decal sheet of course! Those in the box ir really weird! :deadhorse1:

I'm building this kit at present, and I have found the engineering to be over done in several places (Flaps, intakes to name 2). This would be fine if the molding was up to the level of the engineering. My sample has extra blobs of plastic on EVERY piece, many of which interfere with fit. Then there are areas where there is too much "wiggle room" in regards location, which has carry over effects on other joints. I ended up with some pretty big gaps. Is this just my sample? How have others found the build of this kit?

M

for sure it is not an easy kit, a far cry from Tamiya quality, no part fits without glue and lot of time and patience. I usually finish a kit in 4 weekends, this one took me 4 months! But I didn't find anything I can deal with and no, in my kit there were no blob of plastic but several sink marks.

I'm building this kit at present, and I have found the engineering to be over done in several places (Flaps, intakes to name 2). This would be fine if the molding was up to the level of the engineering. My sample has extra blobs of plastic on EVERY piece, many of which interfere with fit. Then there are areas where there is too much "wiggle room" in regards location, which has carry over effects on other joints. I ended up with some pretty big gaps. Is this just my sample? How have others found the build of this kit?

M

My first one went in the bin!...The was huge gaps around where the front section meets the rear section,and the intake fit was so bad that the right side fitted together well BUT the left side wouldn't line up,consequently the whole intake & wing glove vane section wouldn't line up.

One of the blokes over on BM is building it & he's also found the Nav's CRT screens & MMD assembly is too small.

My first one went in the bin!...The was huge gaps around where the front section meets the rear section,and the intake fit was so bad that the right side fitted together well BUT the left side wouldn't line up,consequently the whole intake & wing glove vane section wouldn't line up.

One of the blokes over on BM is building it & he's also found the Nav's CRT screens & MMD assembly is too small.

After you message I went over to BM and found this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965432-revell-tornado-new-kit-raf-gr4-148/

I don't know the builder (so I want to assume he is good). But from what I can see, the kit looks horrendous. I thought this was supposed to be the ultimate 1/48th Tornado! I am not bashing Revell but from what I see, it seems nowhere near all the hype about this kit. Am I missing something? On the flip side, Paolo's build on the previous page looks pretty awesome. I read his comments too, but now I am a little split.

For the record, I don't have the kit but do have the HB one. I want to build a Saudi Tornado at some point, so debating HB vs Revell. I am aware of HB's shape issues.

After you message I went over to BM and found this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965432-revell-tornado-new-kit-raf-gr4-148/

I don't know the builder (so I want to assume he is good). But from what I can see, the kit looks horrendous.

I'd say the problem with this building lays somewhere between a table and a chair.

There is another one, much better

Edited by brahio

Seems that the old adage of 'measure twice, cut once' is really important here - fitting the multiple fuselage parts -very well- could make or break a build. I hav ethe kit but haven't played around w/ the parts - waiting for more builds to blaze that trail.

I wish someone would make new Kormoran missiles...... I feel the need! :P/>

Maybe you should ask someone who has the Daco Starfighter full set. There are two nice Kormorans included.

Thomas

Maybe you should ask someone who has the Daco Starfighter full set. There are two nice Kormorans included.

Thomas

Actually there is just ONE Kormoran in each DACO F-104 box :crying2: the other is an AS-4 or something like that.

While very well done if you want to add to a Tornado you will aklso need the adapters (same as used for Harm on Tornado's belly).