Airbrushing nail polish

Hi there,

I am trying to find a good color for the new RoG F-16A Solo Display, which is a pearl metallic orange.

I was thinking about using automotive paint, but while searching, I found a lot of different shades of orange metallic nail polich popped up. I would imagine that the metallic flakes are much smaller than the flakes used in automotive paint. And cheaper!

So my question is: Has anybody ever sucessfully airbrushed nail polish onto a model? AFAIK ModelMaster enamel is similar to the formulation that is used for nail polish.

Edited by Lancer512

Hmmm... why haven't I thought of that?? :woot.gif:

I'm pretty sure nail polish can be airbrushed. After all, I bought my current airbrush from an eBay seller that supplies nail polish/art supplies. :woot.gif:

I haven't yet airbrushed fingernail polish but I would make a couple of suggestions. Since it appears that most of the modelers who do airbrush that particular medium, you might consider going on line to a model car forum and see if those folks can help you. You also might Google "Airbrushing fingernail polish" and/or "Thinning fingernail polish" HTH

... you might consider going on line to a model car forum and see if those folks can help you.

Wow! I wasn't aware of that. The first couple of searches let me to Youtube and basically I am set. :woot.gif:

One of the youtube videos pointed to an enamel reducer from scalefinishes.com. I may try some with Model Master enamels,

Yea, I tried this right after I posted my last post. I used MM thinner. Big mistake: It globbed up the nail polish. So I used straight acetone for thinning, instead. Others use nitrocellulose thinners.

BTW: In all the videos on Youtube they use an extrnal mixing airbrush, like the Paasche H. For a good reason: The metal particles clog up your airbrush nozzle fast. :bandhead2:/>

Edited by Lancer512

Worked good with acetone, but I guess I will test each new color for compatibility with the reducer/thinner.

Surprisingly, the acetone did not attack the plastic of my freshly stripped 1/72 scale Airfix F-16, which I built 26 years ago:

FF_Orange2.jpg

Now all I have to do is to have to find that particular color for the Orange Viper. Not an easy task with about 20,000 different shades of reds and oranges.

Using nail polish on aircraft models is really exiting for me, as I just learned how to do colored metallic designs on business jets.

Hmm where is that golden RoG 737-800 kit?

Edited by Lancer512

A friend of mine has had spectacular results using nail polish and "nail polish thinner" - that he got from "Sally Beauty Supply". He sprayed it over a coat of Tamiya primer, then thinned the mixture to pretty standard model paint viscosity. The finish was awesome - he did use micro-mesh sanding pads to really bring out the gloss. The finish was mirror smooth - rock hard - fingerprint free, and according to him - relatively easy to apply. I bought some of the same supplies - just haven't had the need yet. He's done it a few times - so it's pretty easy to accomplish.

Did you use primer over that or is that just bare plastic?

That was over bare plastic. It appears a little darker as compared to what's visible in the bottle.

I guess I'll have to prime black and white/silver to see if it makes any difference.

Oh, and that dried nail polish resistes enamel thinner, so I am not sure what the chemical composition of the enamel reducer from scalefinishes.com actually is.

According to the videos, if you sand with 4000 grit (Micromesh?) before the final color coat, you will get avery smooth finish.

Edited by Lancer512
  • 1 month later...

The same Model, stripped again. I used it as a test model to see how different paint/thinner combinations turn out on the wings. The wings are painted FS 36118. I am using potassium hydroxide based oven cleaner for paint stripping. Works like a charm!

Then I saw this blue metallic nail polish today while shopping with the wife...

F-16_Test9.jpg

One fuselage side primed with silver...

F-16_Test5.jpg

...the other side primed with gloss black.

F-16_Test6.jpg

F-16 "Phantom Pharewell" style...

F-16_Test7.jpg

On the black paint it was really hard to see any of the blue. It took several thick coats. Nice effect, but not what I was looking for.

F-16_Test8.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

A friend of mine has had spectacular results using nail polish and "nail polish thinner"

I got some ethlyacetate today, which is the main ingredient of nail polish.

I have to try that and compare it to the other suff I used, which is a blend of butylacetate, naphta and some polymer which acts as a hardener, I'ld guess.

I've used lacquer thinner with the nail polishes I've used. DuPont, Mr Color, Tamiya; they've all worked fine. I can remember a couple folks over the years that have had the nail polish they were trying gum up with lacquer thinner but I've never had a problem. My favorite gloss clearcote is Rimmel 60 Seconds gloss nail polish. It's perfectly clear, stays that way and is hard as nails. Some nail polishes require several coats to build up color.

Tony

I've done allot of custom Hot Wheels with airbrushed FNP, I agree with Tony, lacquer thinner works great. I usually went with a 50/50 ratio.

Lots of great colors to be had with the finger nail polishes. I've even used the color changing varieties ...

-Gregg