Revell 1/72 F/A-18F Jolly Rogers

I haven't had much bench time in the past couple weeks or so. The little time I had, I spent working on the Hase JR. So, this bird had been somewhat neglected, sitting forlornly on my shelf.... :P/>

Last weekend, I decided to give it some love.... I sprayed Tamiya Smoke at random spots/panels.

20140921_211217_zpsfhuffkzl.jpg

I also have not bothered posting updates on the work I've been doing on the ordinance.

Firstly, here's comparison shot of Revell's and Hasegawa's AIM-9X. Hase's are on the left...

IMG_6622_zpsb2393b1a.jpg

General shape looks pretty similar. Although Hasegawa's are more detailed (with separate fins and exhaust), I prefer working with Revell's, because I don't have to fiddle around with those ridiculously small fins and exhaust!!

AAM's all painted up and decaled, ready to be loaded up.

20140921_211838_zpsq1qei8nl.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention... I find the decals kind of... stiff, albeit being thin. It won't wrap around missile body. I had to apply quite a liberal amount of Tamiya Mark Fit solution.

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

Revell supplied the decals for the black color around the cockpit, spine, etc. But I never trust decals for this type of application. Instead, I masked and sprayed the black using Tamiya X-18 Semi-gloss Black. After a couple of hours, I masked off the area around the "pizza box" and resprayed the "pizza box" with Gunze H307 FS36320.

20140928_152806_zps3y3d75ro.jpg

Also finished the Mk 83. The yellow decals didn't fit as well as they should. Oh well....

20140928_161632_zpsnxzk1thh.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I started decaling this bird.... BTW, I screwed up the main gears. They're not aligned. Oh well... I'm just gonna leave 'em be, 'cause trying to fix 'em will most likely make it worse.

20141026_130150_zps7f5h6hpv.jpg

I also screwed up the decals on the inside of the jet intake. Good thing I still had spares from Hasegawa kit, so I used them instead.

Pylons all done...

20141026_130224_zpshwmtavqn.jpg

Vert stabs.... A little speck of... something... got "stuck" underneath a layer of semi-gloss clear coat, which I'll need to touch up a bit with brush

20141026_130312_zps3qlntjhh.jpg

Unfortunately, DACO didn't make the yellow decals opaque enough. Also, I reckon they should not have bothered with trying to make the yellow decals for the vert stab to wrap around the top. Jasmine decals did much better in this front, IMHO.

Gas bags all decaled. Just need to spray flat clear over the grey ones. I think the gas bags are the worst shaped parts from this kit. They don't look anywhere near like the real things. For starters, they're too darned fat! Also, based on the pics I've seen, the Super Hornet gas bags are not supposed to have fins at the back (unlike F-15's).

20141026_130403_zpsh2rcy8yc.jpg

I like how it turned out, can't wait to see it finished :)

To me Revell fuel tanks do seem too fat and are too short, at least comparing them to Hasegawa fuel tanks.

I don't really know about those fins at the rear of them. Hasegawa 1/48 Super Hornet does have them on its fuel tanks. It would also make sense, since Legacy Hornets also have similar fins by which they are attached to the pylon.

I have to say that despite its problems, there are certain things that I really love about this kit. One of them is the decals for the inside of the burner cans. They make the burner cans look so much better.

20141101_182742_zpsndvihycr.jpg

I'm getting really close to finishing this kit. All the decals are on, and the pylons are installed too. I'm going to spray flat clear, install the wheel covers, and the ordinance.