Boeing 707 & 708 grey & Airbus grey in USA

FS 16515 and BAC 707 (and Airbus) gray are about as neutral as they can be. Not the first hint of warmth/brown/red/yellow in them.

Well that didn't work so well. I added black till it was close but it makes to toward the blue side of gray. The FS16515 looks to me to be toward the brown side of gray. So now I have a lovely bottle of not the right color. Color mixing is not anyway shape or form of my area of expertize.

Edited by Jennings
They are every bit as weathered as any military aircraft. They're busy working - and don't get to go to the jet-wash very often. While it's hard to replicate in smaller scales - any weathering or panel dissimilarity will help with the finished look.

Back in 1982 I took an Airfix 737-200 to a contest in Jacksonville, FL. Not only had I opened up the L1 door and built a self-contained air stair (LONG before PE and resin, mind you), but it had the entry vestibule, galley, and a couple of rows of seats and overhead bins in there.

But what REALLY made people gasp (I literally heard a guy gasp) was the fact that because it had Indian Airlines markings, and I was using a couple of photos of the real thing for reference, it was weathered all to heck. Paint peeling off the vertical fin, massive soot stains on the aft fuselage from the thrust reversers (look aft of the wing on a 737-100/200 sometime), mismatched paint on the radome, Skydrol leaks, streaks back from the hydraulic actuators on the l/e slats and spoilers, etc, etc.

Still my favorite airliner model I've ever built :)

If what you say is true, then FS16515 is not the correct color or even close to Boeing grey. As the Lifecolor paint as well as my FS fan color chart show it as a warmer gray. I will take a look when I get home and post a picture of my findings. And I am certainly not against weathering my models but I like to have a good consistent starting point.

Thanks

Edited by steel_tiger1