Detailing sable brushes

It completely depends on what you would like to pay.

My favorites are the Da Vinci Series 1505 Miniaturist brushes. The No:1 in that series are better for detailing than any cheap 0 or 00 I've ever tried. My guess is that goes for the Windsor & Newton Miniaturist series as well.

Just a note: if you're looking for Kolinsky brushes in the US, I saw this notice on the Dick Blick site:

Kolinsky Sable Brush Shortage

Due to regulatory issues regarding the importation of Kolinsky hair, we are temporarily out of stock on many of our more popular brush styles. Be assured that we are working with our vendors and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to remedy this situation as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

I don't know if that page is the exact type of brush denstore was referring to, but Dick Blick is out of stock of all of them.

Stacey

I second the Blick Art Materials site. They have a great selection of brushes. Funny you should ask this question, i was just using some sable brushes right now. I have a few Atlas sable brushes, they're pretty durable, as long as you take care of them. After i clean my brushes with lacquer thinner, i soak them in Leow Cornell's brush cleaner for acrylic. You can pick some of the brush cleaner up at Michael's.

I didnt know that they where hard to import. But they seem to be available through amazon still.

There are synthetic alternatives that work quite fine. I have been trying out a set of Da Vinci Synthetics that have surprised me a bit. They are very nice to work with, and if the Kolinsky brushes will be hard to get in the future, I could manage with synthetic alternatives. I can warmly recommend Da Vinci Cosmotop Spin brushes.