F-14D backdated to F-14A?

Okay. I have a 1/48 Hasagawa F-14D model and Sundowner decals for an A. How difficult would it be to back date the d to an A.I have the Aries exhastand the Black Box cockpit. What else would be needed. Does anyone make the parts for this type of conversion. I'm mostly an armor modeler so be gentle

Thanks in advance.

Bernie McKenna

Edited by bernie mckenna

Besides the cockpit and exhaust cans (are these what you mean by 'tail cones'?), the most obvious visual differences are the actual 'beaver tail' and chin pod -these may vary within the type; although I have found photos of this type on VF-111 jets, they can also wear this one.

Wheels are somewhat different also; they should look like these. This is the Aires 'Wheeliant' set in 1/48, they are actually a little too wide but the pattern is correct and better than most internet photos of the real thing!

There are other detail considerations, but much of this will depend on the specific airframe you wish to model.

HTH>

You might want to start out by telling us the kit you have to work with.

Curt

BINGO

Very difficult to backdate some kits if the Delta Engines and fairings are molded into the fuselage.

Cockpit is another difference but seats is 90% of it.

I'm assuming the VF-111 decals are for the 80's. Here are the things you'd need to change to get from a D to an A.

-- cockpit: Instrument panels and seats (GRU-7 for the A, NACES for the D) I don't know if the Hasegawa D has the GRU-7's or not. This can be taken care of with a resin cockpit

-- nozzles: The D has the GE F-110 nozzles and the A has the P&W TF-30's. Again, this can be taken care of with resin replacements.

-- engine fairing: The D has a squared off fairing while the A has a more oval shaped fairing. Again, I don't know if the Hasegawa D gives you both. If not, you'll have to find someone with a derelict A kit or shape them out of epoxy putty.

-- undernose pod: The D has the dual chin pod while the A (during this timeframe) has the TCS pod. It could also have the small ALQ-100 as well. Steel Beach makes a set of resin pods if the Hasegawa kit doesn't have it.

-- ECM blisters: The D only had the ECM blisters along the leading edge of the wing glove and one on the beaver tail. Depending on the airframe, the A had two sets on either side of the intake as well as the one on the beaver tail. I believe the Hasegawa D gives you the ones for the sides of the intakes.

-- ECM blister addendum: The left front gear door of the D had an ECM blister where the vent is on the A. The vent was moved aft on the D. Check the Hasegawa kit to see if they give you both.

-- wheels: By that time in the career of the A, they essentially had the same wheels as the D.

I hope that helps. Everything else is essentially the same. The D didn't have wing glove vanes, but the Hasegawa kit doesn't include them anyway, so it's a non-issue. If I think of anything else that needs changing, I'll edit my post.

Edited by Darren Roberts

You'll need PW exhuasts (fairings come with the D box). The different TCS/ALQ100 pods come in the D box. GRU-7 seats and instrument panels are already in the D box. As mentioned the ECM blisters for t g e intake boxing are in the box too. Have a search on www.1999.co.jp/eng to find appropriate Hasegawa F-14A instructions so you'll know what to use and what to lose.

Sorry brain fart. Its the Hasagawa 1/48 scale F-14D.

Thanks for the info.

Bernie

Bernie-

You're basically going to have to replace the pit altogether. Hasegawa's 48th F-14D has specific side panels that are only for the D and not the A/B. yes, the kit does contain the front and rear IP's for the A, the side panels are for the D, more specifically, the front right panel and the left rear.

Your best bet (as previously mentioned) is to trade it for an A. If I had one, I'd trade ya since I'm probably going to build a D at some point.

Bernie-

You're basically going to have to replace the pit altogether. Hasegawa's 48th F-14D has specific side panels that are only for the D and not the A/B. yes, the kit does contain the front and rear IP's for the A, the side panels are for the D, more specifically, the front right panel and the left rear.

Your best bet (as previously mentioned) is to trade it for an A. If I had one, I'd trade ya since I'm probably going to build a D at some point.

Hey Brian, are you planning to build models again?? That's good news