What airliners were used on domestic US routes in the 80's?

bored the other day, so I started trying to list the different jets I've flown on over the years. During the early 1980's, I went on a trip from New Orleans to Denver...I know it was American Airlines, and later on Pan Am from New Orleans to Pittsburgh (via Atlanta, IIRC)

Any idea how I could find info on what airframes were being used in that era? Not terribly important, just curious.

thanks

-Mike

There were still some bug-smashers on some routes. Seems like I did Frontier Convairs DAL to DEN, DEN to Las Vegas in the mid to late 70s. Similar equipment on Southern out of ATL to say Albany, GA and Pensacola and the like. I know Braniff (how I miss them!) used Electras OKC to DAL, DAL to HOU and, maybe up to Wichita.

Seems like I rode Convairs from Dallas to ABQ but it wasn't Frontier.

That was a long time ago. I'll have to do some digging. :rolleyes:

Rick in Maine

My first flight,we took a 'big jet" from New Orleans to Denver. for the hop from Stapleton to Vail, we took a Dash-7 (not sure why I remember that and not what the jet was). That Dash-7 was a very bumpy ride.

Also fun was when we started to let down over Denver, (again, my very first plane ride-I think I was 11 years old)we were sitting just aft of the wing and I had the window seat. I knew nothing about how the control surfaces worked. When the flaps came down and the ailerons started moving, I thought the wing was coming off....felt it was my job to yell out the news to the entire plane. Didn't make me very popular with the flight crew....

thanks much!

What about the L-1011? was it ever used for domestic flights?

Both Eastern and Delta used the L1011 domestically. TWA also had them and used them on long haul high density domestic routes (eg, New York-LA)

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...