Hasegawa 1/72 EA-18G + TwoBobs CONA

I like your masks for the wheel wells. Are they custom made, or are they the ones that Leading Edge sells?

-Dave

Dave

I made some for mine, they are easy to make out of open cell foam. I used foam used to pad a lipo battery for my r/c.

I like your masks for the wheel wells. Are they custom made, or are they the ones that Leading Edge sells?

-Dave

Yes, they're Leading Edge's. Except that they're actually the ones made for legacy Hasegawa Hornets, so they don't fit that perfectly to the Super Hornet, but still good enough anyway.

Jammer pods all painted up... Sprayed with Gunze Aqueous FS36375. For the supposed steel/metallic panels, after masking off with Tamiya tape, I dry-brushed 'em with Mr Metal Color Iron (for 2 of the pods) and Stainless (for the other 2 pods).

20140901_223932_zpshvp77vt5.jpg

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 months later...

After neglecting this little project while finishing the other Super Hornets, I decided to give it some love....

Vert stabs inner side -

20141122_183159_zpst2ouxxc4.jpg

Vert stabs outer side - I think it still needs another layer of paint

20141122_183209_zpsrwexzkof.jpg

Underside -

20141122_183128_zpsiffungrw.jpg

I used LifeColor for both shades of blue.

Light blue: mixture of Air Superiority Blue FS35450 UA037 (2 parts) and Matt dark blue LC10 (1 part)

Dark blue: LC 10 Matt Dark Blue (supposedly FS 35056)

I really dislike spraying LifeColor paint. I think the paint was designed predominantly for brush painting.

I just realised that I made a stupid mistake. Both sides of the vert stabs are supposed to be in light blue. For some reason I thought one side was supposed to be in dark blue. So, I resprayed the dark blue side with the light blue.

I also masked and sprayed the side fuselage with light blue.

20141127_204453_zps92tu3jwd.jpg

I must say (again!) that I really, really, really, REALLY HATE spraying LifeColor! I swear this will be the very last project that I airbrush LifeColor!

Thanks Dave. :thumbsup:

OK, I just realised that TwoBobs made a slight mistake on the colour scheme. Based on TwoBobs instruction sheet, the wing fence is dark blue, same as the rest of the top fuselage. But the pics of the real aircraft on Airliners.net show the fence in light blue. So, I masked and sprayed 'em tonight...

20141203_205828_zpskp5mqzy8.jpg

Looking very good Mike! I really like Your blues, and I share the hate of LifeColor paints.

I seem to remember that also the trailing edge of the inner mid flap section was gray, so were the Bard Stack ECS Exhaust.

I was building the same plane and I seem to remember I've had to repaint them after everything was done (not fun at all)

And the spine antenna should also have a gray area.

Here's the link to the pic I've found online. Don't have a picture of those bard stack exhaust.

My link

Come to think of that, check the size of the national insignia, I remember having some problems with the fuselage ones - they were too big.

Hope this helps a bit.

Crap! You're right. Had another look at some of the pics on Airliners.net. I think I can see a little bit of the bard stacks, and they look grey! Bloody hell! Oh well... at least I'm using Gunze for the grey, so not as problematic to spray.

As far as insignia goes if it is indeed over-scale, well... I'll see if I have something similar in the stash. Otherwise, I'll just use whatever is on TwoBobs sheet. No stress. 'Sides, some older style insignias are pretty big anyway (e.g. F-14A VFA-84 Jolly Rogers from 1980's era).

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping I could get this project done before I go on my annual month-long holiday. Alas, that is not meant to be!! I'm taking off tomorrow, and won't be back until mid-Jan. Oh well... At least I completed 3 entrants for this GB, which is 2 more than my expectation! :woot.gif:

Have a great holiday everyone!

• 1 month later...

Although this GB has ended, I decided to keep updating this thread on my build progress.

Apologies for the lack of update. Had a month-long overseas holiday with the family. Actually started decaling just before the holiday, then resumed soon after we got back from holiday a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got the chance to take pics. Will try to post some pics this weekend.

Here's where it's at right now.... Typical of Hasegawa Super Hornet kits, the nose/front landing gears fit so snugly that they don't require cement/glue at all. Most of the jamming pods under the wings also do not require cement/glue to hang on the pylons.

20150129_133539_zpsjkt7t23e.jpg

20150129_133550_zpsipfvk496.jpg

'Later!