Revell 1/72 F/A-18E Kestrels CAG 2009

The decals don't fit very well.... Plus it won't conform that well around the antennas, no matter how much I applied Tamiya Mark Fit.

20141127_202134_zpswje436jz.jpg

Man... applying the large decals for the spine, cockpit and canopy will be a huge challenge.... I'm especially concerned about the one around the canopy...

convincing big decals to conform around the model build is a hard task,in some case is better paint it...

Indeed. That's what I did with the Revell Jolly Rogers. Rather than using the decal, I painted the black around the cockpit and on the spine.

For this one, it's a bit more tricky because there's a thin white stripe just outside of the dark blue. But, let's see how I go. If things go horribly wrong, then I might go down that path.

Hey Mike, how about cutting off the white stripe and reapplying it after painting the stripe blue? That's what I did on my Hasegawa Kestrel bird, and I've used those same Revell decals. Hope this helps

I'll keep that in mind as a backup. I've applied the decals for the windscreen and around the pizza box. As I suspected, it wouldn't conform properly. So, I used a new #11 blade to cut off the decal into several pieces "in situ". End result isn't that bad. :woot.gif:

20141130_165325_zpsl4c24puv.jpg

20141130_165334_zpsarwpglum.jpg

I normally leave the canopy masked until all decaling is finished and after spraying a layer of flat clear coat. But not for this one.

• 2 weeks later...