My first build for this GB will be a 1/72 Fujimi F-4EJ in the original Gull Gray over White scheme when the type was first delivered to the JASDF in 1970s. She will be finished as the box art aircraft 27-8303 of the 302nd Hikotai based at Naha, Okinawa.

This particular boxing is a 2-in-1 edition with markings for a Vietnam-era USAF F-4EJ and a JASDF F-4EJ, but you can only build one or the other. I built another Fujimi Phantom previously and it was a fairly easy and relaxing build, hopefully it will be the same with this one.

P10008461024x576_zpsbf355d83.jpg

Very slow progress for the first couple of days, I only managed to get the cockpit area done so far. The seats will be installed later at the end of the build. The cockpit decals worked okay, except that the IP decals were too big for the parts they were supposed to go onto.

P10008471024x576_zps39c945f7.jpg

Slowly moving along, I put the fuselage halves and cockpit tub together yesterday evening. The fit wasn't very good especially around the intakes and it took some major filling and sanding. The panel lines were quite soft and some of them quickly got lost during the sanding phase. I tried rescribing them as best as I could.

P10008491024x576_zpse526bd4f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is unfortunately moving very slow on this build, work and real life is taking its toll. The fit of the lower cockpit tub with the fuselage, especially just in front of the intakes, is particularly bad and is giving me a lot of headaches. Hope to have some pictures for the next post.

If I recall, the trick with Fujimi F-4 kits is to insert spacers inside the fuselage. Its been at least 8 years since I've built one though.

Keep at it. This will build into a nice kit, and what you have done so far looks nice and tidy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, RKic and lodni_k. I decided to just cut my losses and just move on with the build, otherwise it's never going to get finished. Hope to get some paint on her by this weekend.

The next time I build a Fujimi F-4, I'm going to take care of the front lower fuselage seams BEFORE attaching the intakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some updates. It's been painted and the main markings have been applied, the rest of the stencils are still in progress. I used Tamiya AS-16 Light Gray for the FS16440 Gull Gray, AS-20 for the Insignia White, and TS-6 for the anti-glare panel and nose.

P10008531024x576_zpsb290d0f0.jpg